Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Bat (Harry Hole, #1)
This topic is about The Bat
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Nesbø, Jo--The Bat informal buddy read starts May 26, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Bat by Jo Nesbø.

width="300"/>

Synopsis
Inspector Harry Hole of the Oslo Crime Squad is dispatched to Sydney to observe a murder case. Harry is free to offer assistance, but he has firm instructions to stay out of trouble. The victim is a twenty-three year old Norwegian woman who is a minor celebrity back home. Never one to sit on the sidelines, Harry befriends one of the lead detectives, and one of the witnesses, as he is drawn deeper into the case. Together, they discover that this is only the latest in a string of unsolved murders, and the pattern points toward a psychopath working his way across the country. As they circle closer and closer to the killer, Harry begins to fear that no one is safe, least of all those investigating the case

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 106 comments This one should be interesting :) I've never read the author before but he's been in Slovenia last week so it got me curious to try him.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I am curious as well. I will see if I can get this book on Hoopla.

Heather Carrasco | 336 comments I'm in. I actually have another book in this series on my to read list, so maybe I'll start with this one (since it's number one) instead of skipping to The Redbreast.

Geri | 2042 comments There are a lot of books in this series and I have heard good things. Just don’t see the movie based on the book Snowman. I heard that wasn’t good at all!

Jo Nesbo isn’t on my Hoopla app. But it is on overdrive.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments I got it on overdrive. Thanks!

Heather Carrasco | 336 comments I got it on overdrive too!

Laura | 9707 comments This will be my first read by Nesbo. I also have a borrowed copy from a friend of this one. The Snowman.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I'll join this one from team Minerva Mc......,

message 12: by Geri (last edited May 24, 2018 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments The book wasn’t available on overdrive a few days ago. I was worried I might not be able to do this buddy read. But today I was able to borrow it! YAY!

message 13: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "This will be my first read by Nesbo. I also have a borrowed copy from a friend of this one. The Snowman."

This will be my first Harry Hole novel too. Hopefully, it will be the start of a new book obsession.

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "This will be my first read by Nesbo. I also have a borrowed copy from a friend of this one. The Snowman."

This will be my first Harry Hole novel too. Hopefully, it wi..."

I love new book obsessions!

Heather Carrasco | 336 comments I've heard the Harry Hole books are really good. I actually have #3 on my to read list already. I'm excited to find a new series to start!

Deanna | 2962 comments Team Flitwick here. I found a copy on Overdrive as well. I'm always looking for new authors and series and am excited to give this one a try.

message 17: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Hey Everyone...It will be a busy weekend for me with Memorial Day here in the U.S. So I marathoned my way through the book yesterday. It was a fast read. Really got exciting halfway through. I’ll be back to discuss it!

Chapter 10

(view spoiler)

Chapter 10-20

(view spoiler)

Chapter 26

(view spoiler)

Chapter 27-28

(view spoiler)

Chapter 31

(view spoiler)

Chapter 37

(view spoiler)

Chapter 51-57

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments I've started
Chapter 1- 5
(view spoiler)

Looking forward to reading more!

Heather Carrasco | 336 comments Eeek! I need to get started with this one! Hopefully I'll get a chance to start it tonight or tomorrow morning so I can come and chat about it!

Laura | 9707 comments Chapter 7
(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 4268 comments I'm #1 on the waiting list for the book, so hopefully I'll get it soon.

Laura | 9707 comments Up to chapter 14
(view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I haven't started yet.

I have to say, do not watch the movie based on book 7: The Snow Man starring Michael Fassbender. It was awful.

message 24: by Laura (last edited May 27, 2018 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Up to chapter 26
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments chapter 29
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments chapter 31
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I haven't started yet.

I have to say, do not watch the movie based on book 7: The Snow Man starring Michael Fassbender. It was awful."

I wanted to see the movie when it came out. I love Michael Fassbender! But after so many bad reviews, I decided not to see it in the theater. It really is that bad?

message 28: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Heather wrote: "Eeek! I need to get started with this one! Hopefully I'll get a chance to start it tonight or tomorrow morning so I can come and chat about it!"

I’ll keep checking back!

message 29: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Up to chapter 14

.."

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Deanna (last edited May 28, 2018 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deanna | 2962 comments Thoughts chapters 1-14

Harry - I really don't have a good feel for his character yet. (view spoiler)

Andrew - (view spoiler)

The investigation - (view spoiler)

Elena  | 1403 comments Is it ok to jump in uninvited? Overdrive had a copy available and I started yesterday :) Haven't read any Harry Hole novels yet, very excited!

Up to chapter 15 and (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Elena wrote: "Is it ok to jump in uninvited? Overdrive had a copy available and I started yesterday :) Haven't read any Harry Hole novels yet, very excited!

Up to chapter 15 and really like the writing and the..."

No invites necessary. All buddy read threads are open for everyone:-) Welcome!

Laura | 9707 comments beginning of chapter 49
(view spoiler)

Heather Carrasco | 336 comments Deanna wrote: "Thoughts chapters 1-14

I completely agree with you on a lot of this Deanna!

(view spoiler)

Heather Carrasco | 336 comments Through chapter 11

(view spoiler)

Heather Carrasco | 336 comments Laura wrote: "I've started
Chapter 1- 5...

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Chapter 50
(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2962 comments Heather wrote: "Through chapter 11"

(view spoiler)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments I just got this one so I'll join in too - probably start it later tonight!

message 40: by Laura (last edited May 28, 2018 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Hey Everyone...It will be a busy weekend for me with Memorial Day here in the U.S. So I marathoned my way through the book yesterday. It was a fast read. Really got exciting halfway through. I’ll b..."

@ Geri - regarding your last spoiler
(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments I'm finally starting this tonight. I probably won't get far, but I have a free evening tomorrow to make a dent in it.

Elena  | 1403 comments Chapter 24
(view spoiler)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 823 comments I read one of Jo Nesbo's books. I think it was Redbreast, but it was several years ago. I hope to be able to get this one in the next couple days so that I can join in.

As far as the movie, The Snowman, it was ok, but not great. Luckily I borrowed the DVD from the library so it didn't cost me anything.

message 45: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Elena wrote: "Chapter 24
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Geri wrote: "Hey Everyone...It will be a busy weekend for me with Memorial Day here in the U.S. So I marathoned my way through the book yesterday. It was a fast read. Really got exciting halfway th..."

Answers to your questions, Laura.

(view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I forgot this started. I'll get it going ASAP

Elena  | 1403 comments Chapter 31

(view spoiler)

Elena  | 1403 comments Geri wrote: "Elena wrote:

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Mary C (last edited May 29, 2018 09:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments As we were watching the Snowman, it felt like there were scenes missing even though I had never read the book and didn't know the story. (I was putting the blame on bad editing) So I looked it up and found an article that after filming wrapped, they realized that they forgot to film a few scenes. But the studio wouldn't give permission or more money to round people up and film them. Maybe if they had, the movie would have done better. But really, how do you forget to film scenes of a movie? Don't they plan all that out ahead of time?

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Redbreast (other topics)
The Bat (other topics)
The Snowman (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jo Nesbø (other topics)