Dystopia Land discussion

Buddy Reads and Book Discussions > Has anyone read the Wool series

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Was the Wool a good read? Thinking about checking it out, but I've gotten some mixed reviews on it. Want to find out what you liked or did't like about the book.

message 2: by D.elliott (new)

D.elliott | 25 comments Personally I really liked the first two Royce ... Will get round to reading the last one, soon, and I'm looking forward to it. I gave Wool and Shift five stars, think I wrote reviews on both of them too. I think if I had to chose, one of my favourite things about both books was the way Howey changes his character's language to create distinct voices.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good to know

message 4: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Empress (the_empress) | 1215 comments Mod
I've read the whole series and I loved it. For me this is a book that will (or should) become a classic.

This is the discussion we had about the first book.

message 5: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (sputnik74) | 6 comments Its the best damn thing I have read in ages. Read it. You'll be hooked with in 2 chapters, I promise.

message 6: by Nataliya (new)

Nataliya | 7 comments no i m not

message 7: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Morgan wrote: "Its the best damn thing I have read in ages. Read it. You'll be hooked with in 2 chapters, I promise."

You said it better then me :D

message 8: by Nataliya (new)

Nataliya | 7 comments all is a peasure

message 9: by Nataliya (new)

Nataliya | 7 comments no

message 10: by Nataliya (new)

Nataliya | 7 comments i didnt read Wool series

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I read the first few pages of the book on amazon. I see influences of Kurt Vonnegut and PKD, two of my favorite authors. Reminds me of Penultimate Truth. I'm sold on checking this book out when I can devote time to the series.

message 12: by Rob (new)

Rob Dircks (robdircks) | 10 comments I read the entire series in a week. It's awesome. Howey has the gift of making every chapter a mini cliffhanger, so you get totally hooked, and the way he describes the world is very immersive. The ending is a tiny bit weak, but the journey getting there is a ton of fun.

message 13: by Rinelle (new)

Rinelle Grey (rinellegrey) I loved Wool. I downloaded the sample chapters, just to see what all the fuss was about, and was immediately hooked! I downloaded the rest of the book immediately, even though it was out of my normal price range.

I haven't read the sequels yet, but no doubt I will get around to it.

message 14: by Gramiangel's (new)

Gramiangel's Cat | 7 comments I just finished the last of the three books yesterday. I read all three this past month. I enjoyed the stories and wished that there had been a fourth book. I have questions that I would like answered but my questions do not take away from my enjoyment of all three books. I highly recommend this series.

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4 comments Finished the omnibus a few days ago. I thought it was pretty good. Read it between hunger games novels and thought Wool to be more mature and and engrossing.

message 16: by Gramiangel's (new)

Gramiangel's Cat | 7 comments I read the series and liked them all. I agree that the books are engrossing.

message 17: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Young | 19 comments Good read, but I recommend reading in parts, not the (600+ page) omnibus straight through like I did. About 2/3 of the way through I found myself getting tired of the 'fake cliffhanger' chapter endings that felt like the kind of thing they do on TV dramas right before commercial breaks (felt a bit too formulaic for me). Also, I enjoyed the ride more than the destination. The answer to the 'why they're in a silo' question for me was a letdown. That said, it was still a very fun read.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Niccum I listened to the omnibus in Aug, I found it pretty interesting.

message 19: by Rob (new)

Rob Dircks (robdircks) | 10 comments D.L. wrote: "Good read, but I recommend reading in parts, not the (600+ page) omnibus straight through like I did. About 2/3 of the way through I found myself getting tired of the 'fake cliffhanger' chapter end..."

Totally agree with the "ride is better than the destination" and that it was still a very worthwhile read. I personally didn't mind the little cliffhangers.

message 20: by Casey (last edited Oct 03, 2014 08:50AM) (new)

Casey (boolean4k) | 1 comments (view spoiler)

message 21: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Casey wrote: "spoiler"

(view spoiler)

There are probably other possibilities as well.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris Bostic (chrisbostic) | 11 comments Hey Royce, did you end up reading any Wool?

I liked the first book well enough, but can't say that I fell in love with it. The story was unique, but didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped. It's definitely more mature than most as Tom mentioned, but it wasn't really intended to be YA either.

I certainly wouldn't tell anyone not to read it. It's a good one.

message 23: by Empress, Seeker of wonders (new)

Chris wrote: "Hey Royce, did you end up reading any Wool?

I liked the first book well enough, but can't say that I fell in love with it. The story was unique, but didn't grab me as much as I'd hoped. It's def..."

I think for me it was an emotional read, because the characters reactions and situations seemed so real. They were not super-human, did not know everything at the right moment, and weren't too lucky, they also died. But I don't think the novel was ever intended to be a YA read.

message 24: by Michael (new)

Michael Niccum I listened to the Wool omnibus and enjoyed it.