Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > The Importance of an Author Website

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillefaye) | 14 comments Hi all,

I posted this to a couple of my writing groups on FB and the authors really responded to the information in my article about your website being an important marketing strategy. Hope it helps with your author site :)

http://www.thelitladies.com/marketing...
--------

Camille Faye Subramaniam | Author
Voodoo Butterfly | Coming Fall 2014
Experience love, purpose, and the paranormal in New Orleans.
www.camillefaye.com
www.thelitladies.com

message 2: by Turhan (last edited Jul 29, 2014 11:01AM) (new)

Turhan Halil Thanks for the link. I'm right at the beginning stages of creating a website myself through Wordpress and I'll be checking out yours later today or tomorrow for some insight and tips.

Thanks again
Turhan

ETA: I just subscribed to your website. :) You also have the honorable distinction of being my first sub, ever! lol.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Hansen | 5 comments Web changes look great!! I mean, they will look great when officially posted, of course. :) Have examined Gunson's advice also -- excellent reference.

I hope to have my web site up by end of Sept but am struggling with "branding." Two of my books are of similar genre, but then I have other pieces that are quite different. Not sure what to do with that.....

message 4: by T.C. (new)

T.C. McKee | 4 comments Great advice. Thank you.

message 5: by B.D. (new)

B.D. Crowell (bdcrowell) | 10 comments Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Some good ideas for my own site.

message 6: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillefaye) | 14 comments Rebecca, My critique partner has the same issue. She has published a middle grade and YA novel and has 2 picture books coming out. She really broadened her scope to see what all of them had in common and decided on the theme: strong female characters. That's how she's honed her brand. So maybe see what all your main characters have in common. Take care :)

Rebecca wrote: "Web changes look great!! I mean, they will look great when officially posted, of course. :) Have examined Gunson's advice also -- excellent reference.

I hope to have my web site up by end of Sept..."

Turhan wrote: "Thanks for the link. I'm right at the beginning stages of creating a website myself through Wordpress and I'll be checking out yours later today or tomorrow for some insight and tips.

Thanks again..."

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillefaye) | 14 comments Turhan, cool! Good luck with your site.
Turhan wrote: "Thanks for the link. I'm right at the beginning stages of creating a website myself through Wordpress and I'll be checking out yours later today or tomorrow for some insight and tips.

Thanks again..."

message 8: by Meka (new)

Meka James | 4 comments I've still been debating on setting up an actual website different from my blog. I have registered a domain name, I just have yet to put it to use.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1110 comments The website, created and maintained by the publisher since my novel was published Aug. 9 2011, has proven to be the single most effective promotional tool among the several in place. The site address is included in all press releases, event contacts, and promotional information/material.

The site includes five separate pages that may be accessed with a click on the appropriate button.

Page 1 - higlights the book's cover and a brief blurb, along with a direct connection to the publisher and Barnes & Noble.

Page 2 - Author's biography.

Page 3 - Excerpts from the novel.

Page 4 - Past and scheduled events.

Page 5 - Reader communication page.

message 10: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillefaye) | 14 comments Thanks for sharing, Jim. Glad your site has been so useful for your book promotion :)

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2189 comments Hey Camille, great tips and advice. Before I read it I thought It would make me re-think what I've done with my site but not at all, in fact I've done all of what you state in your post. Everyone think's you gotta make your site flashy and post lots of stuff but really just make it simple and to the point.

message 12: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillefaye) | 14 comments Glad it provided you some validation, Justin :)