Powell's Indiespensable Book Club discussion

Book Talk > Census

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (mskimandtwins) | 5 comments After reading the introduction to this book I thought I would really like it. I hardly ever hear about books featuring a main character with a disability and was really curious about the author’s portrayal of someone with Down’s Syndrome.

However, I couldn’t make it past the first 2 chapters! I couldn’t get into the story with the author’s style of writing! Remember in “Her Body and Other Parties” the disjointed Law and Order chapter?-reminded me of that.

Anyone else feel the same? Is it worth continuing to read this book?

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Martin | 24 comments Mod
I’ve been really dedicated to reading these installments, but Census left me hanging, too. I barely cracked the cover before our next book arrived!

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 2 comments I eventually got into it and found it to be a moving story, if not necessarily a page-turner. I didn't love the style of the writing, but at least it was a short, quick read. I could see the book really hitting home with those who know someone with Down Syndrome - although it's hard to say since I am not one of those people.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (squirrelyeliz) | 1 comments I picked it up a while ago, but I haven't been in the mood for a book that's going to be a tougher emotional read for me.