Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > How Do You Decide What To Read Next?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmango) | 48 comments I'm wondering if people have a process that helps them decide the next book to read, or if they just pick something at random.
It's been a short while since I've read for leisure, because I've been in CEGEP, but I just finished my semester and am free for the summer. There's a lot of books I want to catch up on, but I can't figure out where to start.
How do you chose your next read?

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly Mulligan That's a tough one, and if you find an easy way to discover good new books please let me know!

I sift through books here on Goodreads a lot, looking at lists of genres that I'm interested in and then scanning reviews to see if a particular book sounds good. Finding friends here that seem to have similar taste and then seeing the books that they review or mark as 'want to read' on my feed has been helpful, too.

Then, of course, you can look at different websites and blogs to find recommendations. Elle.com is always posting articles like 'summer beach reads' or 'June Reading List' that will at least point you in the direction of whatever is currently buzzing. The New York Times also posts editorials with book reviews and suggestions that can be helpful.

:)

message 3: by Curtis (last edited May 11, 2018 08:54PM) (new)

Curtis | 602 comments I agree with Molly. I've found some great reads here because of people's book reviews and rave's. Also sometimes just looking at the interesting covers that I see on here, make me curious. The current books that I'm reading, I found some on goodreads and others at book stores that just caught my attention. Some literally fell off a book shelf. Also by listening to radio reviews.

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 346 comments I've got a lot of friends who are authors and are constantly releasing books so I usually try and buy theirs to support them. Some aren't always my cup of tea, but some I really enjoy. Additionally, we'll often recommend books between us, so I usually find my best reads through the recommendations of friends.

message 5: by Daphne (new)

Daphne | 15 comments I always go on YouTube for booktubers. They always have book reviews and huge book hauls. I watch until I see a book that interests me and check it out myself. Booktubers like Hailey In Bookland and abookutopia have recommendations that fit my personal reading style more.

For the books that you want to catch up on, just read! If I have a huge stack of books I just close my eyes and shift them around. After a little bit, I just choose whichever my hands grab first. It’s a fairly simple method but very effective. I wish you good luck on finding your next book.

message 6: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Triplett | 15 comments As far as finding new suggestions I go through the recommendations on Amazon or go through the bookshelves here on Goodreads of authors I enjoy.

When it comes to deciding which to read out of the list, sometimes I have an idea of what I want to read next so I just proceed to that. If I have no idea I justt start grabbing books out of the pile and start reading the first couple pages to see what grabs me to read past that.

message 7: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm  | 255 comments My favorite thing to do is wander around the library or book store. Some of my favorite books were ones I picked at random from the library, or ones that were recommended by someone in the library or bookstore.

message 8: by Rasa (new)

Rasa Ievkalne | 42 comments For me its a complex process.The next book will most likely in the genre i am currently hang up on,even the same author as previous book,if i loved the writing style and story.Sometimes that method changes the genre for me.Then it is a cover that will make me to check out anotation.If i check on Goodreads,then i check out several,but if at the book store,then anything on the cover that will catch my eye.If i check on Goodreads,then the bad reviews will tell me if i should bother reading it or not,never the good reviews,i don't even bother reading 5 star reviews or check overall rating of the book.

message 9: by FloorM (new)

FloorM I have a list on goodreads of what books that are in my tbr that they have in the library. I check that list with the books that are available in the library at the moment and then most of the time it aren't that many because it's a small library. And then I just choose based on what I'm most exited to read :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmango) | 48 comments I feel like my problem isn't finding books to read but rather deciding which of my books to start with. Do you guys ever get overwhelmed by your tbr's?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I use the Litsy app, there I have a to-read list

message 12: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm  | 255 comments Sarah wrote: "I feel like my problem isn't finding books to read but rather deciding which of my books to start with. Do you guys ever get overwhelmed by your tbr's?"

YES... ALL THE TIME... but I keep adding books to it anyway. XD

message 13: by David (new)

David Cooper | 1 comments Bookworm wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I feel like my problem isn't finding books to read but rather deciding which of my books to start with. Do you guys ever get overwhelmed by your tbr's?"

YES... ALL THE TIME... but I keep adding books to it anyway, XD"

Lately, I find myself adding 2 books for each one that I read. And thats kind of scaring me. lol xD

message 14: by Lady Willpower (last edited Nov 12, 2018 05:39PM) (new)

Lady Willpower (lady_willpower) Here's what I've tried in the past:

1. The New York Times book review has good recommendations, and sometimes they'll spotlight YA books, too. :)
2. Sifting through my "want to read" list on Goodreads and seeing what jumps out at me.
3. Similar to 2, picking up a couple of unread books from my shelf at home, reading the first couple pages, and seeing which one "sticks" with me. If I find that I can't put it down, that's the one!

Hope this helps! Happy reading.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

What ever I’m in the mood for usually but you could ask people like you are doing for recommendations. Also I find groups BOTM is great. My group Book Buddies are reading Scythe as BOTM! Come and join!

message 16: by Aija (new)

Aija  (itsintheproof89) | 12 comments I tend to check in with my favorite “booktubers” and see what they have read, are currently reading, or plan to read.

message 17: by Farren (new)

Farren (mmmcookies) | 524 comments Sarah wrote: "I feel like my problem isn't finding books to read but rather deciding which of my books to start with. Do you guys ever get overwhelmed by your tbr's?"

I have a massive TBR, like thousands of books, so I usually choose what I'm reading each month based on what books are BOTM in various groups and books that will mark off tasks in the reading challenges I participate in.

I also decided to start a TBR jar this year, and let me tell you, it really does help! I put in 36 books I've had sitting around forever and so far I've read all six that I picked out for January and February. I color coded my paper slips by genre so I wouldn't pick something I wasn't in the mood for and I think that idea has worked very well for me personally.

message 18: by Bridgett (new)

Bridgett Murphy | 137 comments I'm pretty random. I look through my books both hard copy and Kindle and pick something that grabs me at the time.