Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Group Reads Archive > June 2018 Random Read Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (last edited Jul 11, 2018 06:36PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4811 comments Mod
June is our first Random Read month of the year. How does it work? Any group member is free to nominate any book that they want as long as it meets the guidelines of our group read.

Please make a nomination selection that meets the qualifications based on this theme and the other general guidelines of the group.

(Please recall that we don't vote for books we've already read--There's a link below to check our list of previous group reads).

Here are the other considerations:

1. One nomination per group member. The books must be nominated with a Goodreads link by clicking on 'add book/author'. If a book does not have a Goodreads link, it will not be added to the poll.
2. Books need to be readily available, ie, in print (able to buy new or in ebook format).
3. Books should have some degree of action/adventure content.
4. Past group reads are not eligible to be nominated again. The past group discussions remain open for members to comment. You may see the list of past reads here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

5. Books must be either standalone or first in a series (or they may be later in a series if constructed to be read as a standalone).
6. Authors are asked not to nominate their own books or solicit nominations from members.

Please feel free to include a blurb for the book so others know a little about the book, along with your Goodreads book link.

The poll will post on 5/18/2018

message 2: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited May 12, 2018 04:40PM) (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
I will nominate Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton

Michael Crichton's recently discovered novel—an adventure set in the Wild West during the golden age of fossil hunting.

message 3: by Jen_Ken (new)

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments I nominate:
Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 4: by M.E. (new)

M.E. | 23 comments I nominate Death of a Citizen (Matt Helm, #1) by Donald Hamilton Death of a Citizen by Donald Hamilton.

If you've seen the Matt Helm movies, they're absolutely nothing like the books. The Helm series is not dissimilar from Ian Flemming's James Bond series but it's a U.S. agent and they're more gritty and serious.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments M.E. wrote: "I nominate Death of a Citizen (Matt Helm, #1) by Donald HamiltonDeath of a Citizen by Donald Hamilton.

If you've seen the Matt Helm movies, they're absolutely nothing like the books. The Helm seri..."

One of my favorite series of all time. Skyboat Media is putting out audio books of the series, too. I think they're up to #12 with 3 more due out this year.

message 6: by Kronos (new)

Kronos Ananthsimha | 34 comments I nominate Mirage by Clive Cussler

This is a marine technothriller adventure with epic action, high tech devices, historical conspiracies and witty banter. Though it is part of the Oregon Files series(It follows the escapades of a ship called Oregon that is the base for mercenaries who save the world in each book), it can be read as a standalone. It's an easy read with simple narration and keeps this series keeps the adrenaline pumping. Think of Cussler's books like a mix of James Bond and Indiana Jones.
In this book, the crew of Oregon faces off against a rogue Russian military leader who has got his hands on a deadly piece of technology.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I've got Dragon Teeth and Tyrannosaur Canyon on my shelf to read, but I'm most interested in Death of a Citizen. No matter which wins it should be a good monthly read!

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Sorry the poll is late. Another insane week for me.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

The poll is up. It will close on May 27th.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

We have a tie be between Mirage and Death of a Citizen. We will read Mirage in June and Death of a Citizen in July.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan (alanb24) | 35 comments I've read and thoroughly enjoyed Death of a Citizen, so much so that I have more Helm in the TBR mountain. Thankfully it was nothing like the Helm movies.

As for trying more Cussler after Sahara, for now I'll pass. Plus I have an ARC i need to read.