Beyond Reality discussion

The Farseer Trilogy (Farseer Trilogy #1-3)
This topic is about The Farseer Trilogy
General - Group Business > New series read - Robin Hobb?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2388 comments Mod
Hi all,
When we decided on the Expanse books for the last series read, we'd said that we wanted to alternate fantasy/SF series, and there was some discussion of reading Robin Hobb's Realms of the Elderlings series (which is a set of, what, four trilogies? starting with the Farseer books). Is there still interest? Happy to continue running the discussions. I've read the earlier trilogies but not the later ones.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3374 comments Mod
Yes, yes, yes!! I've read couple of her trilogies but would love to do this!

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen You'd need to do the three trilogies, then the four set then the final trilogy. It isn't a huge overlap but there is a little. It's so good.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 56 comments I'm in. I keep meaning to read some Hobb but never get there!

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen I’ve just started the latest trilogy. It’s so good to be back in the world.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 221 comments Great idea!

message 7: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Yay! The books are fairly long - did the six week schedule work for everyone for Expanse? Or should we do one a month? Mods, can you make us a folder and I'll organize the rest?

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shel wrote: "Yay! The books are fairly long - did the six week schedule work for everyone for Expanse? Or should we do one a month? Mods, can you make us a folder and I'll organize the rest?"

I like one per month, but am open to anything.

message 9: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 188 comments I’m in! I’ve been meaning to reread the series for a while, but there are so many other unread books that are catching my attention! So I need some motivation. I’d prefer 6 week intervals. They are long and I’d like to read some other books in there too.
The order is:
The Farseer Tril
The Liveship Traders Tril
The Tawny Man Tril
The Dragon Keepers Quadrilogy
and The Fitz and the Fool Trilogy

There’s also a couple of stories in the Inheritance (a collection of stories by her two alter egos) and also The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1367 comments I think The Dragon Keepers Quadrilogy takes place in the world but there is no overlap with the Farseer stuff
I know the Liveship books do not overlap the Farseer stuff.

So the plan is to basically read all of the Hobb stuff?

message 11: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 402 comments I've read all of her Realms of the Elderlings books and I would totally be up for this! She and Sanderson are my favorite fantasy authors.
I'm up for whatever schedule since they'll all be re-reads for me.

message 12: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 402 comments Ken wrote: "I think The Dragon Keepers Quadrilogy takes place in the world but there is no overlap with the Farseer stuff
I know the Liveship books do not overlap the Farseer stuff."

I've read all of them and they overlap in a big way by the end. I highly recommend reading them all in publication order.

message 13: by Shel, Moderator (new)

I've read up through the Tawny Man, and yes, there are connections.

Anyone else want to weigh in on monthly vs. 6 weeks per book? I have no strong preference, myself.

message 14: by Joelle.P.S (new)

Joelle.P.S | 41 comments I vote for 6-week intervals (to allow other reads in between).

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I'd like to do this one too. I've been looking for an excuse to start the Tawny Man books and would love a series refresher.

message 16: by Sean (new)

Sean | 4 comments I know I haven’t been active but these books have been part of my to read pile for like 2 years so I’m down to start them.

message 17: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Cool! We'll go with six weeks. Should we start July 1? Mods, can you set up a folder and I'll do the rest?

message 18: by Hannah Belle (new)

Hannah Belle (eris404) | 22 comments Holy smokes, yes! I would totally reread these! I think I may have missed one or two along the way, too.

message 19: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Just bought the Fitz & the Fool trilogy as eBooks. I’m ready! I have only read the Farseer trilogy and will likely need to reread that so be able to join in the discussion. The rest will be new reads for me. We are looking at 16 books!

Shel, if you would like a “co-host”, especially during the school year, I would be happy to help out.

message 20: by Nick (last edited Jun 01, 2018 04:59AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments Looks like the New Series read is a go!!

Candiss and I will be setting up a thread soon. Until then, you can chime in on this thread.

The first book, aside from an added "o.5" in the series (which came along later), is Assassin's Apprentice

message 21: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Yay! Thanks!

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments Shel wrote: "Yay! Thanks!"

Shel, I went ahead and created a folder for the Robin Hobbs series. It lays below this months BOTMs.

You, and/or Kathi can take it from here.

message 23: by Shel, Moderator (new)

thank you!

message 24: by Nora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nora (newnoz) i'm happy to reread Hobb