#BookBaeReadalong discussion

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
This topic is about A Court of Mist and Fury
ACOMAF thoughts!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Caught Between Pages | 11 comments Mod
Same things as the ACOTAR one: no spoilers but everything else is fair game (also I'm sorry I didn't update this sooner!)

SO let's talk guys. Spoilers for ch 1-32
YOOOOOO. So. I'm digging this so much more than Acotar. SO MUCH MORE!

The PTSD is scarily accurate. I love that the book opens with it, because DUH Feyre is gonna be traumatized. She was literally tortured and KILLED by beings faster, stronger, and smarter than her for 3 months.

Tamlin, though. What the fuck is that. What happened???? I love the scene where Feyre and Cassian are training and she FINALLY gets her feelings out about Tam (like he didn't fight for her Under the Mountain as strong as she did for him, that he wanted to have sex instead of try to escape in their one chance to go....)

IDK it feels like a LOT of things did a complete 180 spin to make it so that a Feyre/Rhys ship would thrive. And, I mean, it worked. Tam is now an abusive asshole and the Spring court is now an ass-backwards hotbed of misogyny, so hell yeah I want Feyre to not be there.

Speaking of Feyre. She went from being one of the characters I liked least to my favorite in the span of just half a book (even less tbh). THE GROWTH ON THAT GIRL. DAMN. I think it's a bit of a cheap deus ex machina to give her literally All The Powers, but you know what? I like a little wish fulfillment. It connects ACOMAF to ACOTAR and gives the series continuity, so that ACOMAF doesn't feel like really good fanfic of a pretty mediocre first work.

VELARIS. I WANT TO LIVE THERE. I SHIP MOR WITH CASSIAN AND AZRIEL I JUST WANT INNER CIRCLE POLYAMORY. Amren scares the shit out of me, I love her.

And Rhys.... ooooooooh lordy, that boy. I take it all back, guys. The Vendi who called him a jerkass? I don't know her. She can't come to the phone. Why? Because she's dead.

Some things are a little cheesy (of course he smirks all the damn time.... yes I'm still into it) and some things just pull me out of the story a little because they cross the boundary from high fantasy into almost contemporary (the paper/instant message thing... if you wanted your characters to text, write an urban fantasy, babe) but I'm still into them.

I'm so confused. I like this so much. I really expected this series to be a 3.5 stars at most averaged out, but I DON'T KNOW NOW BECAUSE THIS ONE IS REALLY GOOD.

message 3: by Gabrigeeta (last edited May 14, 2018 04:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gabrigeeta (gabrigeeta_) Caught Between Pages wrote: "SO let's talk guys. Spoilers for ch 1-32

The PTSD is scarily accurate. I love that the book opens with it, becaus..."

I know! The 2nd is definitely best in the whole series.
And Rhys!!!! (need I say more?!)

WhattheGemini | 8 comments I agree with everything you said! I just completed it and I love it so much. I couldn't think of a lot of flaws with this book aside from the lack of diversity.

Feyre turned into a badass.

Gabrielle wrote: "Caught Between Pages wrote: "SO let's talk guys. Spoilers for ch 1-32

The PTSD is scarily accurate. I love that t..."

God I have such high hopes for ACOWAR now!!!

WhattheGemini wrote: "I agree with everything you said! I just completed it and I love it so much. I couldn't think of a lot of flaws with this book aside from the lack of diversity.

Feyre turned into a badass."

YES such a badass. The battle at the Rainbow with the water wolves??? OMG??? Like, that Feyre has NOTHING to do with the mentally weak Feyre in ACOTAR. I LOVE IT.

WhattheGemini | 8 comments Yasss, and when she was at the summer court using her mind controlling powers on Tarquin!! Yes Feyre, you are a wolf.

INKNOTBLOOD | 4 comments I feel like all of ACOMAF was Feyre learning what it meant to have agency! Thank fucking goodness!

I do feel a LITTLE irked that she seems to have mastered so much (being Fae, magic powers, even reading) in such a short period of time. Sometimes her performance is totally driven by need, and she has received training, BUT IT JUST HASN'T BEEN THAT LONG!

The battle scene in Velaris was SO GOOD and really rocketed the book forward from there. I'm excited to see what else Feyre can do with her strange mix of powers!!