Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Bird and the Sword (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Bird and the Sword
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Harmon, Amy--The Bird and Sword Informal Buddy Read starts May 21, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon.

Synopsis
Swallow, Daughter, pull them in, those words that sit upon your lips. Lock them deep inside your soul, hide them ‘til they’ve time to grow. Close your mouth upon the power, curse not, cure not, ‘til the hour. You won’t speak and you won’t tell, you won’t call on heav’n or hell. You will learn and you will thrive. Silence, Daughter. Stay alive.

The day my mother was killed, she told my father I wouldn’t speak again, and she told him if I died, he would die too. Then she predicted the king would trade his soul and lose his son to the sky.

My father has a claim to the throne, and he is waiting in the shadows for all of my mother’s words to come to pass. He wants desperately to be king, and I just want to be free.

But freedom will require escape, and I’m a prisoner of my mother’s curse and my father’s greed. I can’t speak or make a sound, and I can’t wield a sword or beguile a king. In a land purged of enchantment, love might be the only magic left, and who could ever love . . . a bird?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by MelanieJoy (last edited May 11, 2018 11:01AM) (new) - added it

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments I'll join for this one too! (Team Gilderoy Lockhart) When are we starting?

Geri | 2042 comments Welcome MelanieJoy! I asked Kathleen if May 21 is good. Does that work for you?

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’m in for Team Draco! I’ve had this on my TBR for a long time.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Oh my gosh!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Amy Harmon!!!

I'm in for Team Hermione Granger. :)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments May 21 sounds good.

Laura | 9707 comments I'm hoping to squeeze this one in!

Geri | 2042 comments Kathleen wrote: "May 21 sounds good."

Great! I’ll start then. Glad there is interest. I have heard good things about the book.

message 10: by MelanieJoy (new) - added it

MelanieJoy (ladybird11) | 1063 comments That works for me!

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I'm actually looking forward to this. Sounds dreamy! Haha

message 12: by Teddie (last edited May 13, 2018 05:23PM) (new) - added it

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I think I’ll be joining this one too :)

(Team Hermione Granger)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Am about to start chaapter two amd so far so good!

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I'm sorry if Im going to be reading ahead but I jist couldn't put it down. I am about to start chapter 11. I

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I'm at chapter 29 now and I now think (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments I started last night ( early this morning) and read the prologue! It was very interesting.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments I won't be able to start this one until tomorrow because I have 2 books I have to finish today for a challenge that I have to post tonight before midnight, but I love this author so much so I'm really excited to read it!

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments I'm 5 chapters away from the end and recent happenings makes me want to chuck tje book across the room! Can't wait to talk about it with you all.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Kathleen, did you start early? It's just now the 21st where I live. Well, it's 6:38 AM so it's been the 21st a few hours.

Have you read Amy Harmon before? Has anyone read her books? Making Faces Making Faces by Amy Harmon From Sand and Ash From Sand and Ash by Amy Harmon The Law of Moses The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1) by Amy Harmon are three of my favorites that she wrote.

message 20: by kat (wanderfulbooks) (last edited May 21, 2018 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments This is my first Amy Harmon. It's 10:23 pm May 21st my side of the world, we're about 14 hrs ahead of you :)

Laura | 9707 comments Chapter 1& 2
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Kathleen wrote: "Am about to start chaapter two amd so far so good!

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Up to chapter 11
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Up to chapter 26
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Chapter 26
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments mid chapter 31
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Vicki - This is my first Amy Harmon. I have heard of Making Faces and From Sand and Ash. I like her writing and will definitely read more.

message 28: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Kathleen and Laura, you are devouring the book! It is a quick read. It’s going to take me a few days to finish since I am juggling several books right now.

Chapter 1-3

(view spoiler)

Chapter 4-6

(view spoiler)

Chapter 7-9

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Kathleen wrote: "I'm sorry if Im going to be reading ahead but I jist couldn't put it down. I am about to start chapter 11. I

[spoilers removed]"

Good catch about the King. I never thought of this.

message 30: by Laura (last edited May 21, 2018 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Kathleen and Laura, you are devouring the book! It is a quick read. It’s going to take me a few days to finish since I am juggling several books right now.

Chapter 1-3

[spoilers removed]

Chapte..."

Beautiful read !Easy to devour.
(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Laura wrote: "Up to chapter 26

I am enjoying this story. I love Lark's character. She has overcome so much and is very strong. Lark showed great patience and strength in waiting for Tiras on their wedding day n..."

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Boohjoni is a lovely character. Too bad we didn't get to see a whole lot of him after they 'moved'!

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4631 comments Laura wrote: "Finished

[spoiler]..."

I’m glad you loved it. I read this one just before TT started (well, a reread that I listened too this time) and I enjoyed it immensely both times.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Laura wrote: "Finished

I don't always need a happy ending but I loved how this ended. Beautifully written..."

I know. The way the author ended the book was just so beautiful. I loved this love story.

Laura | 9707 comments ✼Danielle✼ wrote: "Laura wrote: "Finished

[spoiler]..."

I’m glad you loved it. I read this one just before TT started (well, a reread that I listened too this time) and I enjoyed it immensely both times."

Thanks Danielle! Makes me really want to start From Sand and Ash. I will before Towers is over ( or I hope!)

@Kathleen,
I was a little worried when you said you wanted to throw your book across the room!
(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments @Laura: It was emotion taking over because of all that's happening to our MCs. The goodbyes being said and all...

message 38: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Kathleen wrote: "Boohjoni is a lovely character. Too bad we didn't get to see a whole lot of him after they 'moved'!"

I really enjoyed the character too. I am enjoying the fantasy and emotion in the story as well.

message 39: by Geri (last edited May 22, 2018 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I stopped at chapter 25 for the day. I agree, Laura, beautiful writing. Romantic and emotional.

Anyone interested in Kjell’s story The Queen and the Cure? I will read it probably late June.

Chapter 14

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Geri (last edited May 22, 2018 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Chapter 19

(view spoiler)

Chapter 22

(view spoiler)

Chapter 25

(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Sigh, earlier in the week I wouldn't have hesitated to say yes to a BR of the 2nd book. I have committed to way too much BRs already *cry*

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "I stopped at chapter 25 for the day. I agree, Laura, beautiful writing. Romantic and emotional.

Anyone interested in Kjell’s story The Queen and the Cure? I will read it probably ..."

Yes, I 'll read it with you. I think we can persuade Kathleen; or she can always join us a little later;-)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Boohjoni is a lovely character. Too bad we didn't get to see a whole lot of him after they 'moved'!"

I really enjoyed the character too. I am enjoying the fantasy and emotion in t..."

I loved this fantasy world. It will be interesting to see if book 2 is as magical, romantic and emotional!

message 44: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Kathleen wrote: "Sigh, earlier in the week I wouldn't have hesitated to say yes to a BR of the 2nd book. I have committed to way too much BRs already *cry*"

LOL I understand completely. But as Laura said, you can join us if you change your mind!

message 45: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: ".Yes, I 'll read it with you. I think we can persuade Kathleen; or she can always join us a little later;-)
"

Great! Does June 25 work?

Done! Wow, exciting and emotional to the end! I feel wrung out! LOL

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura- I agree with the reviewer that it did read a bit like a fairytale. I was worried too when Kathleen wanted to throw the book. I thought the ending might leave us hanging, which I HATE!

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: ".Yes, I 'll read it with you. I think we can persuade Kathleen; or she can always join us a little later;-)
"

Great! Does June 25 work?

Done! Wow, exciting and emotional to the end..."

Yes, sure ; June 25 works.
(view spoiler)

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Tje trowing compulsion was when Tiras (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Sorry for starting so late with this book, but being on two back-to-back one week vacations makes the reading time difficult. Starting now.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Chapters 1-10

Lark (view spoiler)

Tiras (view spoiler)

Jeru (view spoiler)

« previous 1