Play Book Tag discussion

My Hippo Has the Hiccups with CD: And Other Poems I Totally Made Up (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
This topic is about My Hippo Has the Hiccups with CD
Archive: Other Books > My Hippo has the Hiccups and Other Poems I Totally Made Up by Kenn Nesbitt ~ 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 625 comments One of the challenges I am doing this year is through our local library (also my place of employment). We are challenged to read 25 books that fit into different categories. One of those categories was a book of poetry. I chose a children's poetry book that I read with my daughter (she is doing to kids challenge).

I enjoyed this little book of poetry. My normal go to poetry book is anything by Shel Silverstein. So I went a little different this time. All the poems were fun and full of humor. Some made my daughter and I go ...... hmmmmmmm. It was an enjoyable book to read together. Even at the age of 12, she still likes for us to read together.

Here is one of my favorites:

My Parents Are Making Me Crazy

My parents are making me crazy.
They're driving me utterly mad.
I'm mental because of my mother.
I'm losing it thanks to my dad.

My mom tells me "Go do your homework,"
and dad's yelling "Vacuum the floors!"
Then mom says, "Turn off the TV now,"
and dad hollers, "Finish your chores."

With all of their grousing and griping,
my brain is beginning to hurt.
My dad's shouting, "Clean up the kitchen!"
My mom's saying, "Tuck in your shirt!"

I feel like I'm losing my marbles.
If I go bananas today,
then please give this note to my parents
when the funny farm takes me away.

I chose this poem because I am sure my pre-teen daughter feels this way.... EACH. AND. EVERY. DAY!!!!!!

message 2: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) I loved reading to my child when he was able to read to himself. The drama queen in me loved doing the voices, the teacher in me enjoyed explaining things, and the mom loved the bonding time. I think the reading time we did together is about as good as it gets.
Thanks for the memories.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8436 comments Great review Joni-thanks for sharing you gave me a chuckle!

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1472 comments I think I have this book. Mine came with a CD where people read the poems.

Joni | 625 comments Yes Cora it did come with one although we didn’t listen to it.