Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > June 2018 READER Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2655 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for READER category for June 2018.

READER books need to be currently in print in both paperback and ebook, and readily available through most of the normal places to get books. They must be Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

Recently nominated and seconded:
Ringworld by Larry Niven
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
A Call to Duty by David Weber

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

My nomination is Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. It’s part of the Liaden Universe but can be read as a stand-alone. Currently in print in paperback in the omnibus The Dragon Variation, previously in omnibus Pilots Choice. Available as ebook as just the book or the omnibus Dragon Variation. Also available on Audible.

The story is about a brilliant but timid mathematician and a group of pilots who help her come out of her shell, learn to fly a starship, defend herself, etc. There is a romance thread but it isn’t the main issue. I’ve read this many times and it’s one of my favorites.

message 4: by Kirsten (last edited May 16, 2018 09:52AM) (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I'm going to nominate Hellhole by Brian Herbert

message 5: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 332 comments I will second Scout's Progress.

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited May 19, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Summary:
Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6) by Sharon Lee Scout's Progress by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Audrey. Also nominated for Themed.

Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente. Nominated by Christian. Seconded by Jean, below.

Hellhole (Hellhole, #1) by Brian Herbert Hellhole by Brian Herbert. Nominated by Kirsten. Seconded by Renata, below.

message 7: by Jean (new)

Jean Hontz (majkia) | 0 comments I'll second Space Opera

message 8: by Renata (new)

Renata Riva I'll second Hellhole.

message 9: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

The June Reader pick will be Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.