Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > McKenzie, Catherine--The Good Liar Relaxed Buddy Read starts June 1, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Good Liar by Catherine McKenzie.

description

Synopsis
When an explosion rips apart a Chicago building, the lives of three women are forever altered.

A year later, Cecily is in mourning. She was supposed to be in the building that day. Instead, she stood on the street and witnessed it going down, with her husband and best friend inside. Kate, now living thousands of miles away, fled the disaster and is hoping that her past won’t catch up with her. And Franny, a young woman in search of her birth mother, watched the horror unfold on the morning news, knowing that the woman she was so desperate to reconnect with was in the building.

Now, despite the marks left by the tragedy, they all seem safe. But as its anniversary dominates the media, the memories of that terrifying morning become dangerous triggers. All these women are guarding important secrets. Just how far will they go to keep them?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
Reserved

message 3: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Looking forward to reading this!

message 4: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 405 comments Me too. It looks good.
Great link to the Moms in Danger blog. That could blow up someone's TBR and then we would all be in danger! lol

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Me too; My TBR grew after reading Geri's link to the blog.

message 6: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments LOL Glad I could help!

message 7: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I’m in!

message 8: by Anja (new)

Anja Vuković | 106 comments I may join this one if I have time when it starts

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments You may join later if you wish if you are pressed for time. We will come back and discuss with you.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments I would like to join this one. :)

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments The more the merrier Melissa!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Thanks! I'll see if I can get it from the library :)

message 13: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments The buddy read starts today. I will start it and check back later.

message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I should be able to start this one tonight! I’ve got a flight and most likely will have delays at the airport with pending storms, so any irritation from getting home late will be alleviated by a (hopefully) good book.

message 15: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "I should be able to start this one tonight! I’ve got a flight and most likely will have delays at the airport with pending storms, so any irritation from getting home late will be alleviated by a (..."

It’s an intriguing read. Have a safe flight!

message 16: by Geri (last edited Jun 01, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Part 1: Chapter 1-14 and interview trascript

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "I should be able to start this one tonight! I’ve got a flight and most likely will have delays at the airport with pending storms, so any irritation from getting home late will be alleviated by a (..."

Be safe!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I started; not very far along. Only in chapter 1

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Part 1: Chapter 1-14 and interview trascript

Trying to catch up, Geri. I'm starting chapter 5

message 20: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I've finished part 1, chapters 1-14

(view spoiler)

Must keep reading...I need to know more!

message 21: by Laura (last edited Jun 03, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Part 1 - chapter 1-14
Kate(view spoiler)

Franny(view spoiler)

Cecily
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:51PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 405 comments I am planning on starting this one in about a week. Then I will look at spoilers.

Off Topic but interesting. the next three books I am either reading or planning to read have the word Lies/Liar in the title. I couldn't figure out why I was getting confused... But now I know. I am wondering if the word "lie" is the next "girl"?

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I am planning on starting this one in about a week. Then I will look at spoilers.

Off Topic but interesting. I am either reading or planning to read next three books with the word Lies/Liar in the..."

Hi Ya Vicki!

message 24: by Geri (last edited Jun 04, 2018 12:10PM) (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Happy Monday all! I finished part 2. A lot happens and is revealed. How is everyone enjoying the book? Did you figure out some of the twists before the reveals?

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Laura and Brooke, read my spoiler after you finish part 2.

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I am wondering if the word "lie" is the next "girl"? "

That is funny! Never thought about a word being trendy for books. But you are probably right. Girl on the Train. Girl with a Dragon Tatto...

message 27: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I snuck in a bit of reading while eating lunch today. I'm done with part 2.

Geri: (view spoiler)

Part 2 was a roller coaster! Can't wait to see how it ends. I have a dinner tonight so doubt I'll be able to finish it until tomorrow.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Blah, I 'm trying to juggle 4 books and life all at once. I'll be back soon and catch up!

message 29: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura wrote: "Blah, I 'm trying to juggle 4 books and life all at once. I'll be back soon and catch up!"

I had a bunch of in progress books that had to be read by 5/31, so I somehow crammed in 8 books last week. I am more relaxed this week about reading...that was too much!

message 30: by Geri (last edited Jun 05, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke, WOW, not sure how you managed 8 books in a week!

I finished. And boy, it was a rollercoaster. My opinion of Kate and Frannie kept changing. Can’t wait to read what everyone thinks of the ending.

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "Laura wrote: "Blah, I 'm trying to juggle 4 books and life all at once. I'll be back soon and catch up!"

I had a bunch of in progress books that had to be read by 5/31, so I somehow crammed in 8 b..."

That is a lot of books! Go Brooke! ( ha, but don't wear yourself out!)

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Did you like it Geri? I 'm not looking at your spoiler yet!

message 33: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Geri wrote: "Brooke, WOW, not sure how you managed 8 books in a week! "

I would never have been able to do it without audiobooks. And I don't think I ever will again! I need to get better about finishing books before starting new ones. LOL

message 34: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments I finished! I'm still trying to figure out what I think about the main characters, but my initial reaction is that I liked the book.

(view spoiler)

I'm going to keep an eye out for more books by McKenzie.

message 35: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Did you like it Geri? I 'm not looking at your spoiler yet!"

The book was very twisty. I liked that a lot. My feelings about the characters kept changing too. You need to finish this one Laura!

message 36: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke wrote: "Geri wrote: "Brooke, WOW, not sure how you managed 8 books in a week! "

I would never have been able to do it without audiobooks. And I don't think I ever will again! I need to get better about fi..."

I mostly listen to audio too. And I have a bad habit of putting down a book I started to pick up a new one. Sometimes I have 4 or 5 at the same time. But never 8. You are the winner there!

message 37: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Brooke, (view spoiler)

message 38: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "Did you like it Geri? I 'm not looking at your spoiler yet!"

The book was very twisty. I liked that a lot. My feelings about the characters kept changing too. You need to finish this..."

Hoping to knock another chunk of it out tonight!

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments up to chapter 20
(view spoiler)

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments up to chapter 31
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments (view spoiler)

message 42: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 1199 comments Laura: (view spoiler)

message 43: by Laura (last edited Jun 10, 2018 03:12PM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke wrote: "I finished! I'm still trying to figure out what I think about the main characters, but my initial reaction is that I liked the boo

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 405 comments I finished Part 1

I agree that
(view spoiler)

This one is good so far. Lots of possibilities.

message 46: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Laura (view spoiler)

message 47: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I finished Part 1

I agree that
noone is going to turn out as they seem.
."

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 405 comments End of part 2

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura [spoilers removed]"

@ Geri
(view spoiler)

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments @Vicki
(view spoiler)