Cirque Du Freak-Along discussion

The Vampire Prince (Cirque Du Freak, #6)
This topic is about The Vampire Prince
The Vampire Prince

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alison (hardbackhoarder) | 41 comments Mod
Please don't forget to put the page number you are on before going into your comments to avoid spoiling!

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments page 103/ chapter 16

Shit I wasn't prepared at all for Arra's death. I thought she died way later during the war like Larten.

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Jana wrote: "page 103/ chapter 16

Shit I wasn't prepared at all for Arra's death. I thought she died way later during the war like Larten."

She actually had very little page time in the original series. I think it's always the mark of a good character when they make a big impression in a short space of time! :-)

message 4: by Ellis (last edited Sep 08, 2018 06:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments I just finished it and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. I gave it 4✴ because it is still great but some things were just off for me. First the death scenes: I felt like they were way too short. One or two sentences and it was over. Even the cremation ceremonies were too quickly finished (in my opinion). But that's probably because it takes a bit longer for the feels to set in for me so I would have prefered longer scenes. And the second thing was the whole point of the book: Darren becoming a Prince. I get that he proved himself with the fight and coming back even though he knew he would be killed but I still can't understand why the other vampires got such a high opinion of him. In my understanding a vampire has to prove himself a lot through fighting and stuff to be respected by others and that this takes a lot of time and Darren has been there only a couple months at most. Yes he is an exception because of his age and has kinda puppy status I presume but making him a Prince by unanimous vote (even from the three princes) was too much imo🤔

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Jana wrote: "I just finished it and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. I gave it 4✴ because it is still great but some things were just off for me. First the death scenes: I felt like they were way too ..."

Vampire laws are very rigid, very black and white, and they're very slow to change any of them. By their laws, they could only do one of two things with Darren -- kill him or promote him to Prince. Now, I'm not saying that was the BEST solution -- as a rational person, I would have been more in favour of adjusting the laws -- but it was the most VAMPIRIC solution. Of course Darren hadn't yet proved himself worthy of the status of Prince, but he'd just saved the clan from annihilation, so even a hardliner like Vancha would have thought that execution was a tad harsh in this instance. :-)

Jana wrote: "page 103/ chapter 16

Shit I wasn't prepared at all for Arra's death. I thought she died way later during the war like Larten."

I am always a little upset at the lack of females in this series. I'm still not sure why women didn't make great vampires when Arra made a fantastic one! They would be awesome clan leaders/princes/princesses/whatever. I also think she is awesome and thought she had more page time.

Jana wrote: "I just finished it and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. I gave it 4✴ because it is still great but some things were just off for me. First the death scenes: I felt like they were way too ..."

Darren wrote: "Jana wrote: "I just finished it and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. I gave it 4✴ because it is still great but some things were just off for me. First the death scenes: I felt like they ..."

I think they also felt more compelled to turn him into a Prince because he had proved how trustworthy he was. He was already protecting the hall of princes (omg the name of the stone has LEFT ME whyyyyy) and came back even though he knew it meant death for him. I can imagine more vampires would have agreed to allow him to be a prince rather than kill him for that based on their behaviors previously. They also wouldn't be open to change in the laws; I know I get angry when Walmart changes their aisles, I can't even image centuries of laws changing at the drop of a coin.

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments I think it's not that females won't make good vampires but it's that the existing (male) vampires are so stubborn and regressive in their ways that they won't consider it most of the time.
I'm still not sure how humans and vampires find each other in a way that turns to the human being blooded. I guess that it's mostly lone travelers that get into talking with lone traveling vampires when their pathes cross and I think that there are less women traveling like that and even if there are they are probably more suspicious if they meet a vampire/human in general.
That's at least how I imagine it

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Don't forget, most of the vampire are a few hundred years old. They hail from different times, when men were even more male chauvinist pigs than they are now!!! :-)

Jana wrote: "I think it's not that females won't make good vampires but it's that the existing (male) vampires are so stubborn and regressive in their ways that they won't consider it most of the time.
I'm sti..."

That actually makes a lot of sense!!! never considered that!

So I know I have added few of my own comments recently, I've just had little to say and have been eager to continue and was also away for a bit.
This is the only book in the series so far that I had a moment of "WTF?" I've finished the book (and assuming you've read this far, you have too). The part where the wolves take care of Darren...so I understand why something/someone had to take care of Darren, but the part where he feeds from the mother wolf had me gagging. It is a horror story, right?
Maybe it goes to show just how perverse our minds become over time because I don't think I blinked twice at that part as a kid.

I liked the overall pace of this and enjoyed the fighting scenes! And Darren showing his loyalty to the vampires shows just how far he has come over time. I keep getting really excited about the Vampaneze Lord!

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Heh heh! I expected a bit of a backlash to that scene, but everyone seems to be OK with it -- I haven't had any complaints about it over the years. I was referencing old myths with that one, like Romulus and Remus.

Brenda Edwards (brennedwards) | 13 comments Chapter 22
I am super late on this read along but I’m almost done with this book.
I just want to say I love how Mr.Crepsley always looks out for Darren.
When he jumped up and said “Darren risked his life for you and now you would sentence him to death ? Never! I will not tolerate such bloody minded ingratitude. Anyone wishing to land hands on my assistant will first have to lay hands on me,and I swear by all that is sacred,I will fight them to my last savage breath”
I was yelling out loud “You tell them Mr.Crepsley “
Him and Darren might not always be on the same page but they always have each other backs and I love that about them ...
Okay back to my reading lol