Cirque Du Freak-Along discussion

The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque du Freak #2)
This topic is about The Vampire's Assistant
The Vampire's Assistant

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alison (hardbackhoarder) | 41 comments Mod
Please don't forget to put the page number you are on before going into your comments to avoid spoiling!

Brenda Edwards (brennedwards) | 13 comments idk if its just me but im not enjoying this one as much as the second one.

Brenda Edwards (brennedwards) | 13 comments spoiler, im on audio so don't know the page number sorry
You are a monster, javi yelled. Yeah! I agreed but im only a baby monster, you should see what the others are like. I loved this part so much,

i take my last comment back, ot got so much better

message 4: by jordan calver (new)

jordan calver | 3 comments I've finished this one so major spoilers ahead!!!!!!

Seriously...

Final warning...

Ok, here goes: I love the climax of this novel as a statement of intent from Shan. After these characters are eviscerated it is pretty clear that all bets are off and anyone can be killed off.... the deaths are also pretty gory for a kids book. Loving revisiting this series!!!

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments I'm in Chapter 6 and I think at the end it's just so emotional. Mr. Crepsley admitting that he made a mistake by turning Darren but it can't be taken back. And he is CRYING. I think it is a small turning point in their relationship. I just love it so much

Kari Myhre | 1 comments I just finished the book, so a few spoilers ahead! You’ve been warned!

I am reading this series for the first time in English, the first time I read it was in Norwegian and is at least 15 years ago, so I am so happy to get back into this series💚

The details Darren is giving throughout these books are just so good, and I have to say that I really noticed it this time around! Just the introduction to some of the characters (I just love Evra sooooo much😍😍😍) and I just remembered that we are not entirely done with R.V. yet, are we?😏

The next thing I want to mention is that we are introduced to the different degrees of how vampire blood will effect the human body. A vampire is made by transferring enough of a vampires blood to the human body, but just a little blood will have an effect. And that is not necessarily good to say the least... This is explored in this book and I really appreciated that!

And last, at the end Darren finally dares after months without to drink human blood, but this is with a more beautiful price than he first thought. As killing a human by drinking a lot of their blood, you also capture a part of their “spirit” in your own body. And, as we read in the end of this book, Darren will forever keep a part of his good fried Sam with him, even though he had to do something he though were wrong. So even though this book is gory and grotesque to some extent, it also is kind of beautiful💚

Sorry that this was kind of long... I just really love this series and I am so excited for this read along!💚

Marcy Reads on IG (marcyreads) Just finished this book and I’m in awe of this world! Enjoying this story so dang much. Wondering why I’ve never heard of this series until recently!

Ellis (kamnell) | 24 comments I just finished it and I didn't remember it being so deep and thoughtful and wow. It is easily one of the best books of the series.

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Kari wrote: "I just finished the book, so a few spoilers ahead! You’ve been warned!

I am reading this series for the first time in English, the first time I read it was in Norwegian and is at least 15 years ag..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it so much all these years later. When I wrote the books, I tried to make it a double-edged story, one that had elements that could appeal to adults as well as children. I think there are scenes that read differently if you are an older reader (e.g. when Darren is buried alive, I think adults readers are more moved by the plight of his parents).

jordan calver wrote: "I've finished this one so major spoilers ahead!!!!!!

Seriously...

Final warning...

Ok, here goes: I love the climax of this novel as a statement of intent from Shan. After these characters..."

OMG I FORGOT HOW GORY THIS BOOK IS. That death description had me like "who let me read this shit as a kid?" hahah I was surprised how unapologetic Shan was about it, but also not since I know how the rest of the series is. Also the memory thing, SUCH FORESHADOWING

Jana wrote: "I'm in Chapter 6 and I think at the end it's just so emotional. Mr. Crepsley admitting that he made a mistake by turning Darren but it can't be taken back. And he is CRYING. I think it is a small t..."

I forgot how back and forth their relationship is and just how much confused Crepsley is too. As a kid I don't think I thought of adults as having regrets and of course no kid wants to hear that, so how heartbreaking.

Kari wrote: "I just finished the book, so a few spoilers ahead! You’ve been warned!

I am reading this series for the first time in English, the first time I read it was in Norwegian and is at least 15 years ag..."

OMG i was thinking the same thing about RV but could not for the life of me really remember or if I was making it up. So glad someone else remembers him playing a part later on too.

I agree that the memory part is really great! If I remember correctly, this plays a MAJOR role later on. It's great seeing how woven together this story is and how planned out it is. Things seem like "info dumping" or convenient at the time but I know they play a bigger role down the line. I love how each "dark" side of vampires has a silver lining too.
I also am so glad to be back into this world!

Marcy wrote: "Just finished this book and I’m in awe of this world! Enjoying this story so dang much. Wondering why I’ve never heard of this series until recently!"

It only gets better ;)
This world becomes more complex later and it is AMAZING. so glad you are enjoying it!

Jana wrote: "I just finished it and I didn't remember it being so deep and thoughtful and wow. It is easily one of the best books of the series."

We see a lot of growth from Darren in this book. Coming to terms with his "condition," accepting death, learning how to push people away, considering consequences. He loses some of his childish humor but we still get some which is great.
But that ENDING OH MY

Is anyone surprised I am already behind in my own readalong? Nope? Didn't think so.
I finished this and OMG THAT ENDING. I don't remember this getting right into the gore so early in the series (although the next one is called Tunnels of Blood...). That scene made me cringe and stare terrifyingly into space at the gym as I listened to it (btw, audiobooks are AWESOME).
I am still enjoying the foreshadowing and little bits of information I know play larger roles later on. And patiently awaiting the return of RV...
I loved the development of Darren in this one. He is growing more mature with his situation (but I still love seeing his boyish side). I remember having a HUGE crush on Evra growing up (still blaming my obsession with spiders and snakes on this series).

message 16: by Darren (new)

Darren Shan (darrenshan) | 14 comments Alison wrote: "Is anyone surprised I am already behind in my own readalong? Nope? Didn't think so.
I finished this and OMG THAT ENDING. I don't remember this getting right into the gore so early in the series (a..."

I'm usually pretty good at judging what my readers are going to react to, but Evra was a HUGE hit with the ladies, and I must admit, that one's always baffled me!!!! :-)