A Good Thriller discussion

General > reading devices

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theweebarrell (new)

Theweebarrell | 16 comments Hi what device do we all read on, i have a kindle but i am thinking of getting a tablet but not sure how it would be for reading for long periods of time.

what do you all use

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith | 104 comments Theweebarrell wrote: "Hi what device do we all read on, i have a kindle but i am thinking of getting a tablet but not sure how it would be for reading for long periods of time.

what do you all use"

I read on a kindle paperwhite. It is much easier to read on than either the kindle fire or the ipad because there is no glare and the backlighting is more subtle.

message 3: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Faith wrote: "Theweebarrell wrote: "Hi what device do we all read on, i have a kindle but i am thinking of getting a tablet but not sure how it would be for reading for long periods of time.

what do you all use..."

Eink e-readers are now a niche market. Many people are reading on their smartphones. I prefer dedicated e-readers myself. I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3, and a Kobo Aura H2O.

Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'? (whatchatreadin) | 2098 comments Mod
Right now I read on my Kindle fire. I'm hoping to upgrade this mother's day to a Paperwhite(we'll see if my family listens) The Fire is great for me to read at night, not so great on the beach!

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat Dietrich (katd59) I have a Kobo Touch and a Kobo Aura H20. Love them!

message 6: by Luffy (new)

Luffy (monkey-d-luffy) Kat wrote: "I have a Kobo Touch and a Kobo Aura H20. Love them!"

The Kobo Aura H2O - not H20 - has iffy page turn speed.

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale THE ONLY "DEVICE" ONE REALLY NEEDS IS HIS OR HER OWN EYEBALLS!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann I have several kindles -- have had one since the very first one back in 2008. For me, Eink is nearly as good as paper in terms of eye fatigue, and an improvement in many ways since I can adjust the size of the print for optimum comfort. Plus they just keep adding features.

I do sometimes miss the 'uniqueness' of a paper book, since books all look pretty much the same on a screen, but the benefits outweigh that.

I have the kindle app on my tablet and smartphone, but don't read on those except for some magazines.

message 9: by Amber (last edited Jul 31, 2018 10:11AM) (new)

Amber Martingale I disagree.

The "benefits" DO NOT outweigh the risk of the miners loosing their lives to bring to light the minerals that make the materials of your e-ink device, Ann, given that they are basically 21st century SLAVES. https://www.freedomunited.org/news/sl... for the DL and click the story about "slavery in electronics."

A second related story: https://www.freedomunited.org/news/su...

Nor can you BURN said device to keep you warm and/or cook your food/sterilize your water if the electrical grid goes down permanently without releasing toxic fumes.

message 10: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5784 comments Mod
Amber. You are never ever going to change my mind on ereaders. They are brilliant for a few reasons and I wouldn't be without one. If ALL humans did as they were supposed to WE know the world would be a much better, kinder place. That's NEVER going to happen. So, I'm going to continue to enjoy using my Kindle as I'm sure many others will too. Enough.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann My aunt died a few years ago. She'd always been a HUGE reader -- until her eyesight began to deteriorate due to macular degeneration. Even 'large print' books weren't good enough, assuming she could find things she wanted to read. The Christmas before she died, I gave her a DX sized kindle. She was THRILLED. She could craank the print up to a size big enough for her to read and the larger screen meant there was more than a word or two on the page. After years of not being able to read, she finally could again.I was her favorite niece that Christmas :) and it greatly improved the quality of her life during her last few months.

message 12: by Amber (last edited Aug 02, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Amber Martingale Janet wrote: "Amber. You are never ever going to change my mind on ereaders. They are brilliant for a few reasons and I wouldn't be without one. If ALL humans did as they were supposed to WE know the world would..."

I know you won't change your mind, Janet. I was responding to Ann and telling her WHY, in my opinion, the only "device" you really need is your eyeballs. Barring any organic problem with your eyeballs, like loosing your sight due to age, of course.

message 13: by Janet , Moderator (new)

🙄

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale What emoticon were you trying to post, Janet?it's not showing up except as a blank square.

message 15: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9791 comments Mod
Well I have 500 books on my book shelf. no actually maybe 800.

never counted.

But happy with my Kindle Fire

ReadAlongWithSue [Catching-Up] (readalongwithsue) I’ve loads of unread physical books. I’m trying to read one per month 🙄
Then I read on my kindle paper white, which is in sync with my iPad Kindle app which is in sync with my iPhone 😂 I think I have a problem😂🥴

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie | 260 comments I have a kindle fire 7 that I have owned for about four years and I love it! I have over 2,000 books in my amazon cloud with about maybe 3/4 of them not read. Then I have another 200 on my kindle device that I need to read yet.

I am no longer able to read the physical books as I have a hard time with my hands, so kindle is the way to go for me.

message 18: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley Moody | 3 comments Hi, I was wondering if anyone has the new kindle oasis? I have the old 2013 paperwhite and it’s starting to play up. I was thinking of upgrading to the oasis or a new version of the paperwhite?
Thanks for any thoughts

message 19: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I couldn't tell you about the Oasis but I do have a Paperwhite and love it. A version or so back and very happy with it.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue (coccotoro) | 2464 comments I love my Kindle Paperwhite. So clear and easy to read on. I would only buy Kindle because I really use and like them, and the selection of books is great.

message 21: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 1280 comments I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have three different versions of the Nook, a Kindle Fire and often use my phone as well. For me, it's all about being able to read no matter where I am and being able to pick up where I left off no matter what. I love ebooks. I own thousands of physical books and will continue to buy them always, but for convenience and portability, an ebook can't be beat.

message 22: by W (new)

W | 37 comments I do read on my phone,though that leads to a lot of eye strain.So now I read more paper books.

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 1280 comments Wsm wrote: "I do read on my phone,though that leads to a lot of eye strain.So now I read more paper books."

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I gave up the convenience of being able to slip my phone in my pocket or bra, so that I could have the biggest screen available to read at times I had no book.

message 24: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread | 1428 comments I now read on my Paperwhite and I am crazy about it especially since it has backlighting and adjustable font and the new cloud storage is just terrific! I can't say enough good things about this device and I never thought I would enjoy reading from a device because I so loved my physical books and still do but this little device is the best!!

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I read my ebooks on my iPad. I have the kindle, nook, iBooks, etc. apps on there all wrapped up in one device. My favorite app is the kindle, best feature scrolling. I prefer that to page turning. I read ebooks when I go to bed to avoid having to have a lamp on and disturb my husband’s sleep. I prefer to read an actual book during the day.

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 115 comments When I’m home, I read on my iPad, but when I’m running around doing errands and such, I read on my Kindle. I always take it with me.

message 27: by Maria (new)

Maria | 6 comments My preference is books, nothing like paper and since I adore old mysteries (golden age) and some of them are mass paperback, for them I have the kindle oasis.
I started reading on my iPad but it is not advisable. It kills your eyes!

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria | 6 comments I just notice that this is a really old posting except for Christine...

message 29: by Christine (new)

Christine Indorf | 2162 comments I prefer physical books but since my eyesight is give some trouble I am reading my kindle more. I am so glad I have it and love the option you have for free books on Amazon Prime and also Libby from your library. I also use a lot of audiobooks. I love listening to them and I want to hear every word of a book I go to it. I am a skipper and so audiobooks for me is wonderful!!

message 30: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9791 comments Mod
I still love my kindle fire

Great so many books on my kindle.

message 31: by Adam (new)

Adam James | 36 comments I am no longer using any Amazon stand-alone Kindle viewers. Instead, I have the Kindle app on my various tablets and my smartfone. They all in sync and work great. Therefore, I can continue reading wherever I left off, no matter where I am: sitting in a waiting room, sitting in my car (don't ask), etc.

I also edit the books I am writing using the Kindle app, too. No more printing a mountain of paper for me!

Cheers and Happy Reading / Writing
http://adamjames.blackdogebooks.com/

message 32: by Marie (new)

Marie | 260 comments When I posted on here back in 2019 I had over 2,000 ebooks on my kindle fire. Well last year that kindle fire died as I bought it back in 2014 and I bought me another kindle fire with more storage capacity. Plus I now have near 5,000 ebooks stuck in the Amazon cloud (LOL) so more storage and more books makes me a happy camper! lol

message 33: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Wow! That's a lot of books, Marie!! Happy reading! :)

message 34: by Marie (new)

Marie | 260 comments Janet wrote: "Wow! That's a lot of books, Marie!! Happy reading! :)"

Thank you, Janet! :)

message 35: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 I use a Kindle Fire HD 8 and it's great, especially when reading historical stuff where it really shines for displaying the pictures and maps. Also have a Paperwhite which I keep for backup but have hardly used it.

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine | 115 comments Kindle and my iPad using Libby.

message 37: by Janet , Moderator (new)

For those that have Kindle Fires' do you not find it hard reading on them? I can't imagine being able to read for long periods of time without it getting uncomfortable on the eyes.

message 38: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 1930 comments Janet wrote: "For those that have Kindle Fires' do you not find it hard reading on them? I can't imagine being able to read for long periods of time without it getting uncomfortable on the eyes."

I have one and can read for hours while my husband is snoring away beside me.

message 39: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I had one a few years ago but couldn't read on it for long. I love my Kindle Oasis. Find that really comfortable.

message 40: by Faith (new)

Faith | 104 comments Janet wrote: "For those that have Kindle Fires' do you not find it hard reading on them? I can't imagine being able to read for long periods of time without it getting uncomfortable on the eyes."

I hate reading on a kindle fire or ipad. Whenever possible, I read on a kindle paperwhite.

message 41: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 8 comments Since I’m retired and rarely need to read outside the house, I read mostly “physical” books, as well as an occasional ebook, on my iPad, borrowed from the library, thanks to Libby and Cloud Library