YA LGBT Books discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Book of the Month > May-June 2018 BotM 1 - "The Perks of Being a Wallflower' (possible Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Our May/June Book of the Month winner was The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky by Stephen Chbosky

The critically acclaimed debut novel from Stephen Chbosky, Perks follows observant “wallflower” Charlie as he charts a course through the strange world between adolescence and adulthood. First dates, family drama, and new friends. Sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Devastating loss, young love, and life on the fringes. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it, Charlie must learn to navigate those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

Content warnings: (view spoiler)

This thread is for discussion of this book - there is no specific reading schedule and you may post at any time. There may be spoilers in the comments, so be aware if you have not yet finished. Especially if you are posting early in the two months, please try to put real plot spoilers into a spoiler-hiding tag - write <*spoiler> before the text and <*/spoiler> at the end of it - with both * removed to make it work, and it will be hidden, revealed only (view spoiler)

I look forward to seeing what the group thinks of this one.

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments It's been quite a while since I read this. I'm pretty sure the library has it, so I can give it a quick reread. For some reason, I gave it 3 stars back then, but I don't remember... and so many of my friends love it.

Shi'Asia (kawaiiemotions) | 12 comments It's been awhile since I read this,but remember disliking it a lot. But I really enjoyed the movie version.

message 4: by Summer (new) - added it

Summer (paradisecity) I’m with you, Kaje. I think I’ve read this twice and I’ve never been as moved as my friends have. I thought it was a solid story, but perhaps it was something in the writing that was lacking.

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments It does get a range of opinions. I know a queer teen who has reread it multiple times and loves it.

message 6: by Gene (last edited Jun 18, 2018 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gene Gant | 31 comments I was unaware of the book before the movie version was released. I've read it twice since watching the movie and enjoyed it very much. I'm not bothered by the fact that the story tackles multiple issues. The author gives us a close look at several characters, which is where many of those issues arise. This makes those characters more fully fleshed and complex instead of walk-ons that merely help the plot move forward.

Bobby (bobbery) I read this forever ago as well. I remember it was super popular at the time, and one of my friends really loved it, but I didn't think it was spectacular. I think maybe because it was so hyped up to me it was a little inevitable that I would be disappointed.

message 8: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments I started this, but I don't think it's for me. The language is really wooden and stilted and, to me, boring. I don't DNF many books, but I think this one's a failure to launch. My TBR pile is just too high to waste time on something I can't connect with.