For the Love of YA Books, Movies, TV Shows and Music discussion

Books > Fault in our Stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 102 comments Mod
Who has Read the Book? I LOVED it, but I haven't finished it all.
Talk about the Book here.

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Tackett (bookloverforeva1999) | 170 comments Mod
I love the Fault in Our Stars!!! the movie and book were both amazing and had me crying so hard!

message 3: by Teresa (new)

I cried, not when Augustus died, but at the Funeral when Isaac was saying his Eulogy. It was sad. Then I almost cried when I read the last 5 pages. It was just the way Augustus wrote that Letter to Peter Van Houton. Van Houton, my opinion, wasn't a very nice man. He was a sad, lonely, drunk man.

message 4: by Abby (new)

I completely agree!

message 5: by Melanie Kay (new)

Melanie Kay Taylor | 22 comments Teresa wrote: "I cried, not when Augustus died, but at the Funeral when Isaac was saying his Eulogy. It was sad. Then I almost cried when I read the last 5 pages. It was just the way Augustus wrote that Letter to..."

Well, he also was entirely messed up from the fact Hazel dressed as the girl he hoped his eight year old would have grown to become, so in a way they tore open an old scar, and he was bitter and cruel to them because of that.

message 6: by Abby (new)

I agree with what you said Melanie about them tearing open a larger wound, but it's not like they did it on purpose and it doesn't excuse how rude and cruel he was.

message 7: by Melanie Kay (new)

Melanie Kay Taylor | 22 comments Abby wrote: "I agree with what you said Melanie about them tearing open a larger wound, but it's not like they did it on purpose and it doesn't excuse how rude and cruel he was."

I guess.

message 8: by Teresa (last edited Aug 24, 2014 11:36AM) (new)

Melanie Kay wrote: "Teresa wrote: "I cried, not when Augustus died, but at the Funeral when Isaac was saying his Eulogy. It was sad. Then I almost cried when I read the last 5 pages. It was just the way Augustus wrote..."

What exactly are you trying to say? I'm a bit confused about what you are saying, Melanie.

message 9: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 15 comments Teresa wrote: "Melanie Kay wrote: "Teresa wrote: "I cried, not when Augustus died, but at the Funeral when Isaac was saying his Eulogy. It was sad. Then I almost cried when I read the last 5 pages. It was just th..."

The way that Hazel dressed when they first went to see Van Houton was what the girl in his book dressed like. By seeing Hazel dressed like that it brought back the bad memories of losing his daughter and his hopes of what she could've grown up to be. So in return for bringing up the memories he was cruel to them.

message 10: by Teresa (new)

Van Houton was a cruel, drunk, rude man in the first place. Who cares what Hazel dressed. It shouldn't have been the point factor of why he got rude with Hazel and Augustus.
Besides, Hazel was the type of girl that if she had known that Van Houton had gotten upset with the way she dressed, she wouldn't have dressed like that.
It was just a pity that this man was rude.
Then he had the nerve to apologize at a Funeral. It was probably because Hazel was vunerble and he thought it was the best time to apologize.

message 11: by Aphromisna (new)

Aphromisna (bopbear1324) | 15 comments True, I agree with you and Melanie. Yes he was cruel to them, but really with how young his daughter was when he lost her and then Hazel showing up dressed like her it hurt him. Yes she probably wouldn't've dressed like that if she knew, but she didn't so she couldn't help it. And Van Houton couldn't help the fact that seeing her like that brought up the memories and made him act the way that he did.

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 117 comments I thought that movie was so good and I loved that book

For the Love of YA Books, Movies, TV Shows and...

unread topics | mark unread