The Bibliophiles discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month > June BOTM Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello, everyone!

Since summer is fast approaching, I thought it would be fun to see what's on everyone's summer reading list! Do you have an exciting page turner to read while you soak up the sun on the beach? Did your teacher assign you a summer book report? How about the top seller on this year's new release list that you've been wanting to get your hands on? Let us know what you would like to read to welcome the season of sun!

message 2: by Noa (last edited May 09, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

Noa (nozella) I really want to read Kafka's The Castle !

message 3: by Mircea (new)

Mircea (mircea_) Been on my to read list for a while... Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow

Enjoyed Sapiens, although a bit speculative, but curious about the continuation.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Awesome suggestions!!

message 5: by Mircea (new)

Mircea (mircea_) Noa wrote: "I really want to read Kafka's The Castle!"

If I haven't read anything from Kafka (yet) --- would you advise starting with it?

message 6: by Noa (new)

Noa (nozella) If I haven't read anything from Kafka (yet) --- would you advise starting with it?"

I personally loved the metamorphosis; it's a shorter read, so a great intro to the crazy world of Kafka :)

message 7: by Mircea (new)

Mircea (mircea_) Thank you! Will move it higher on the list.

message 8: by Louise (new)

Louise (louisejk) | 3 comments I've been wanting to reread Hamlet. I had to read it for school, but I rushed through a lot of it.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Oooh. Good suggestion!!

message 10: by Julia's (new)

Julia's Paperback (juliaspaperback) I'll be starting Children of Blood and Bone this month or next month.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

I've heard many good things about that book Julia!

message 12: by Julia's (new)

Julia's Paperback (juliaspaperback) Lisa wrote: "I've heard many good things about that book Julia!"

I can't wait to start it! I was on vacation from work last week so this week is catch up week for me so I haven't had spare time to start it yet.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

I totally understand how that is. I took a weekend trip a few days ago and planned to finish one of the books I'm reading but I think I was maybe able to read about 10 pages the whole time. And now that I'm behind on life from missing one weekend at home (#momlife) I've barely had a minute to sit and read.

Books, Cooks, & Hooks (bookscookshooks) | 2 comments I have SO many on my to read list, I'll never get through them, but what I'm planning to read for June is "Children of Blood & Bone", the "Everland" series, "The Cruel Prince", and "The Great Alone" by Kristin Hannah.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Books, Cooks, & Hooks wrote: "I have SO many on my to read list, I'll never get through them, but what I'm planning to read for June is "Children of Blood & Bone", the "Everland" series, "The Cruel Prince", and "The Great Alone..."

All fantastic suggestions!! Thank you for sharing!

message 16: by Ronnie~ (new)

Ronnie~ (ronixwritesofficial) | 6 comments Ahh I got like more than 220+ books in queue and I'd like to see the list to lower down soon. Apparently, I have a lot on my list. I'm wondering how many I can finish before summer ends.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

I feel you Ronnie! I have been very bad this year with my 'to read' pile. I've been buying books left and right, borrowed a couple of books, (my friend INSISTED I take as long as I need to get to them but I still feel obligated to read them asap), and borrowing new books from the library every time I walk through the doors. I've actually been thinking about making 2019 all about reading the books already in my possession and no more!

message 18: by Ronnie~ (new)

Ronnie~ (ronixwritesofficial) | 6 comments Lisa wrote: "I feel you Ronnie! I have been very bad this year with my 'to read' pile. I've been buying books left and right, borrowed a couple of books, (my friend INSISTED I take as long as I need to get to t..."

But but... it's so hard to promise yourself to not throw books on your 'to read' list when there's always a new book waiting for you to turn towards their way. I have all of these books and I feel like I can't finish them in time. Ahhhhh, so many books and so very little time. Sighs. I hope we can do more readings this year!

message 19: by Cee (new)

Cee (simplystrange) I never know what I'm going to read when, but I am hoping to read Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Poison Study again soon.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Ronnie, I know! It's so difficult lol. I'm sure that in that year, I'll buy some new books and such because sometimes, there are just deals you can't pass up. But I really need to get serious about reading through the books I already own haha

Sionna, this looks like an awesome read!

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) The Hounds of Baskerville is one of the best written Doyle novels and Gaston LeRoux Phantom of the Opera is excellent. Then there is Lyrics Alley by Leila Aboulela or The Little Shadows by Marina Endicott. And of course there is always Dante, Virgil, Balzac, Kant, Verne, or Homer if one has a wish for the classics.

Personally I was very disappointed in Homo Deus. As the quote says, “One can only find God when one stops believing he [she] is god.” It had its points but is sloppy research and presumptuous at its best.

I just finished reading A Midsummers Night Dream and greatly enjoyed it. Same with Don Quixote. Reading a lot of Sloane Kennedy in between, although I’ve already read the books. All are great summer reads. As is Jasper Fforde - The Eyre Affair or The Big Over Easy.

Also had to add The Historian or The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova.

message 22: by Bonnie (last edited May 15, 2018 06:44PM) (new)

Bonnie Books that have been on my tbr shelf awhile (and I'm off summers) are Fingersmith by Sarah Waters , Beartown (Beartown #1) by Fredrik Backman and The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian

message 23: by Lisa (new)

So many awesome suggestions!! I have no idea how I'm going to pick for the poll! XD

message 24: by Ronnie~ (new)

Ronnie~ (ronixwritesofficial) | 6 comments Lisa wrote: "Ronnie, I know! It's so difficult lol. I'm sure that in that year, I'll buy some new books and such because sometimes, there are just deals you can't pass up. But I really need to get serious about..."

I know, I'll have to start digging in these books and get moving with my progress.

Bonnie, I like those covers. I'll check them out!

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Ronnie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Ronnie, I know! It's so difficult lol. I'm sure that in that year, I'll buy some new books and such because sometimes, there are just deals you can't pass up. But I really need to get ..."

One thing I have learned over the years is to not stress about reading. I have a list I know that I will never possibly be able to finish because it is ever growing but I don't want to stress about reading because reading is my one escape from my stressful life. So even though I feel that desire to swallow up any book I see, I have gotten better at just taking my time, and enjoying the experience.

message 26: by Naomi-Lynn Marguerite (last edited May 16, 2018 02:54PM) (new)

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Lisa wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Ronnie, I know! It's so difficult lol. I'm sure that in that year, I'll buy some new books and such because sometimes, there are just deals you can't pass up. But I real..."

I use my Want To Read like my bucket list. It’s just so I remember and I have the rest of my life to get to it. If I’m not in the mood for something on it, I read something else. Keep reading fun! Whether for entertainment, learning, or school, it’s all good. But if for school, it’s probably best to get to it on time. LOL.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Yes!!! :D

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather Sionna wrote: "I never know what I'm going to read when, but I am hoping to read Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. SnyderPoison Study again soon."

Great series -- love this author!

message 29: by Heather (new)

Heather I just came across this little series: The Time Travel Trailer

I think it would be a quick summer read.

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather On a different note -- how about Sweet Tea. I bought this on a whim because I was taken in by the cover. It has great GR reviews....

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Heather wrote: "On a different note -- how about Sweet Tea. I bought this on a whim because I was taken in by the cover. It has great GR reviews...."

The title actually reminds me of an amazing book called The Broken Teaglass. It is so different and yet amazing and gives an insight to dictionary creation, from the setting, that is quite compelling. The book is a mystery. Its magic is in its subtlety and quietness.

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) It does look good. I've added it to read as well.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

You are giving me so many awesome ideas! I have no idea how I'm going to choose for the poll! Speaking of which, I will do my best to get the poll up by Monday morning so that we have a full week and a half to vote! Cannot wait to see what this month comes up with!

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) If it's not to late to throw in I would like to nominate Insects by John Koloen. I've been in the mood for a "creature feature" type book and this one sounds like a fun read. Summer time to me is for fun and different books. (or relaxing ones)

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather Nikki, lol... I hate bugs, but this looks intriguing. It reminds me of on old, old movie, Food of the Gods. Any one seen it?

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Heather wrote: "Nikki, lol... I hate bugs, but this looks intriguing. It reminds me of on old, old movie, Food of the Gods. Any one seen it?"

I haven’t but I just looked it up and it looks like something I would like lol

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Haven't seen it but it sounds interesrting

message 38: by Glenda (new)

Glenda | 5 comments My friend and I created a monthly themed to-read list for 2018, June is "Justified" (true crime or fictional detective stories). I plan on reading Anne Perry and the Murder of the Century by Peter Graham, The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell, and The Black House by Peter May. I have a few others but these are my top three.

message 39: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) Noa wrote: "I really want to read Kafka's The Castle!"

I just bought a copy of "The Essential Kafka", which includes "The Castle" in it. I've read "The Metamorphosis" before, and would love the excuse to read more of his stories.

message 40: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Willey | 1 comments Mythos, Stephen Fry?

Finished Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman and I'm really excited about this one as a follow up. Definitely can't go wrong with Kafka though

message 41: by Norman (new)

Norman Voisey Mircea wrote: "Noa wrote: "I really want to read Kafka's The Castle!"

If I haven't read anything from Kafka (yet) --- would you advise starting with it?"
I started with Parables and Paradoxes and then read Metamorphosis. That might be a better route but I haven't read the Castle. Norm

Noa wrote: "I really want to read Kafka's The Castle!"

message 42: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Oldroyd | 16 comments Decided to go on a biographical history binge that will extended to into the summer. So I have gotten to know John Adams, George Washington and Ulysses Grant tiring of the myopia of American historic figures I have moved on to Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Wright brothers. Also snuck in War on Peace., Highly recommend Grant and Einstein together with War on Peace. Thinking of returning to asimov's foundation series

message 43: by Ronnie~ (new)

Ronnie~ (ronixwritesofficial) | 6 comments I'm honestly waiting for the American Gods series as they just recently released a prelude earlier of this month. I'm too excited and I can't wait to get my hands on the series. It's gonna be on fire, and I hope the burning never stops.

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Wayne wrote: "Decided to go on a biographical history binge that will extended to into the summer. So I have gotten to know John Adams, George Washington and Ulysses Grant tiring of the myopia of American histor..."

I love War and Peace or anything else by Leo Tolstoy, for that matter.

With Einstein, have you read The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict? I know its historical fiction, however there is a lot of research gone into it and Maric deserves her due. And I say this as an Einstein fan.

I'd also suggest you read about General Lee. His is an interesting story. You can get a good preview of it in Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Another part of history not well understood is the French Revolution. I read an amazing biography on Marie-Antoinette that put it in a very different light. I wish I could remember the name. It is possible it was The Indomitable Marie-Antoinette by Simone Bertière, however I'm not certain. I know this book is quite excellent, however.

Have fun reading!

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Wayne, that's a very good idea! I've never thought of doing a biographical history binge! I recently purchased Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History and am very excited to read it! Some of the things that happened in that book happened right outside of the town I currently live in, Lubbock, TX. Knowing this, I love to look out at the field I live near and imaging the people who have walked across it over the years.

Ronnie! I had no idea there was something being added to the American Gods series! I will be looking into this immediately! I am actually reading Anansi Boys right now and I am loving it! Such a fan of the books and the show!

Naomi, these sound like some really books that need to be added to my To-Read list asap!

message 46: by Wayne (new)

Wayne Oldroyd | 16 comments Forgot to mention Kissinger Kissinger by Walter Isaacson it is a solid read but as a member of the Vietnam era, the actions of Kissinger and the Nixon administration brought me to tears when for the sake of some diplomatic language, the war continued. The treaty could have been signed in 1969.

Anansi Boys – totally enjoyable!
War and Peace-on my high school summer reading list in 1965

Presently looking over the books nominated on the Great American read. Could be a selection approach to nominate any book on that list that you haven't read but always wanted to. Currently leaning toward books by African-American authors, a big gap in my library.

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Wayne wrote: "Forgot to mention Kissinger Kissinger by Walter Isaacson it is a solid read but as a member of the Vietnam era, the actions of Kissinger and the Nixon administration brought me to tears when for the..."

You should try Home to Harlem by Claude McKay for an African American book. He's Cuban/American, but it looks amazing. I'm reading it this summer for the Summer Reading Challenge.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Robert wrote: "I've got the "Ice and Fire" series planned for the summer. When I'm reading a series I usually read one book and then read a book from a different genre, just so that I don't get too entrenched in ..."

Well hello fellow Texan! I can totally understand about the weather. I was born and raised in this area and I have such a hard time in humidity. My husband, who grew up in the Fort Worth area, thrives in it but it makes me feeling I'm drowning in the air. Sorry you have to live far from where you're comfortable.

I have not read the entire Ice and Fire series yet, just the first two books. They are great books but they are heavy reads (physically and mentally!) and I find myself having to take breaks from things like that as well! I always have to fit in a quick and fun read in between books like that!

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Forgive my ignorance but Ice and Fire series first book is Game of Thrones, correct? I read Game of Thrones to the last three pages and said f&*k it I am so done. I didn’t even finish the book and I’ll read almost anything.

Saying that, I’m glad your enjoying the books.

message 50: by Naomi-Lynn Marguerite (last edited May 23, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Robert wrote: "Yes, it is the game of throne series. And does your comment mean you didn't enjoy it? Why was that, just too long? It was definitely a tough read, especially because of all the minor details and conversations...."

Nope, it wasn't the length. I've read the entire Wheel of Time series in a week, so length doesn't bother me nor complexity. (I also read the Bible in totality at least once a year, as in like a novel). I can't remember the exact episode in the book that caused me to call it a waste of my time but it was a scene near the end that was the straw that broke the camels back. I truly do not like the book. As in really do not like the book. But I'm happy others do. Diversity is the whole point, right? ;-)

On a lighter note: I'm a Canadian who has lived in most provinces and due to my heritage I have an unusual accent. My father is often asked if he is from Boston. I'm asked if I'm from Texas, but only when I'm tired as I was trained to have an international accent.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.