Historical Fictionistas discussion

Challenges > TBR Challenge 2018 Rules/Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited May 08, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Jasmine | 1223 comments Mod
We're having another TBR challenge, and summer is on the way (at least in the Northern hemisphere) so we will have a summer theme. Since this challenge requires some pre-planning I'm posting the rules early for those who are new.

Pre-planning is required for this challenge!!
This will be a 3 month challenge, but you will only be able to join at the 1st of each month.

Sign-ups Participants MUST sign up and provide a list of books prior to starting the challenge. The number of books is determined by the start date:
Starting on June 1: 50 books
Starting on July 1: 25 books
Starting on Aug 1: 15 books

There will be TWO opportunities to re-arrange your unread book list on July 1 and Aug 1. Aside from this date, the order of the book cannot be changed. Choose wisely! ;) You will also be allowed to add up to 5 new books at each "re-arrange" time.
Example thread

IMPORTANT: If the thread is locked, you should NOT edit your list.

NOTE: This is a personal challenge and meant to be a fun way to motivate you to read books that you've been thinking about for while. However, you decide the parameters of how you want to make your list, like only reading books that you own or reading books on your "wishlist". The only real requirement is to read from a pre-determined list.

RULES:
1) Books must be at least 200 pages long. Eligibility for this is determined by the most popular edition on Goodreads. If the most popular edition is 197 pages, it will not count, even if the edition read is 215 pages.

2) The first book used for the challenge should be started on or after June 1st. Exception: Each person will be allowed 1 exception for a book that is longer than 500 pages, as long as they are not more than 1/2 way through the book on June 1. You must be using the "progress update" feature of GoodReads to claim this.

3) Audiobooks are accepted. Page numbers are determined by most popular edition on GoodReads.

4) Re-reads are NOT permitted for this challenge. (sorry, one objective is to read down your TBR).

5) There is no genre requirement for this challenge, but there is a Bonus tasks for reading HF.

SCORING / HOW IT WORKS:
1) At time of sign-up, each participant will select the books from their 'To-Read' list on Goodreads. Any variation of a To-Read shelf will count, including Wishlist. Example, I have a shelf called Nonfiction which are nonfiction books I haven't read yet but want to.

Books will be ordered from 1-50 (if you are doing the 3 months, adjust when starting later), and their placement will determine their point value. Examples: A book in the #1 place will receive 1 point when done, a book in the #25 spot will receive 25 points, etc.

Tip: Order books that you are most likely to read in the higher value spots to earn higher scores. :)

NOTE: If you are a slow reader, and don't want to list 50 books, you can have a shorter list. However, if you start with 20 books, you can only play with 20 books for the whole challenge (Also, you will want to have still start your list at spot 50 if you are playing for points)

2) Bonus Tasks for 50 points each: After you have read at least 5 books on your list, once a month, you can read a book from one of the mods TBR lists. Each month you need to pick a different mod, so if you chose to read one each month, you will have read one from each of the mods.

Choose a HF book from one of the moderators TBR lists ( Jackie, Becky, JoLene, Gretchen, or Jasmine) that you have not read, and read it.

Jackie's TBR

Becky's TBR

JoLene’s TBR

Gretchen’s TBR

Jasmine’s TBR

**Bonus book choices do not need to be chosen ahead of time and these can be changed at any time. ONLY the list of books from your own To-Read list need to be selected by the deadlines. **

3) Summer theme bonuses: You can claim 5 point bonus for each of the following. You can only claim each bonus once during the challenge. Only one summer bonus can be claimed per book.
a. Read a book set in summer.
b. Read a book where the main character takes a trip.
c. Read a book with a summer scene on the cover.
d. Read a book set in a different country than where you live.
e. Read a book where one of the author's initials is in the word SUMMER.

4) There are several opportunities to earn Bonus Points. Bonus points will be awarded PER BOOK READ when task points are awarded. Partial task points and/or bonus points (page count, HF point, etc) will NOT be awarded if the task is unfinished. Bonus points can only be claimed when reporting the book score (so make sure to check your postings).

4a) Book Length Bonus:
Bonus points will be awarded based on the length of each book read, as follows:
200 to 300 pages = 2 bonus points
301 to 500 pages = 4 bonus points
501 to 750 pages = 6 bonus points
751 to 1,000 pages = 8 bonus points
1,000+ = 10 bonus points

4b) Historical Fiction Bonus = 5 point
WE WILL NOT AWARD HF POINTS IF IT IS NOT REPORTED.

The definition of historical fiction that our group uses is a work published at least 50 years after at least half of the events in the work. Historical fantasy, alternate history and magical realism books are not considered historical fiction for the challenge.
If the book has a dual story-line than 50% of the action needs to take place in the historical setting.

4c) You can claim 2 points for each year that the book has been on your TBR. You should use the "Date Added" field on your bookshelf and you may need to add the field to your bookshelf view. The bonus is as follows, if the "Date Added" is before:
June 1, 2017: 2 points
June 1, 2016: 4 points
June 1, 2015: 6 points
June 1, 2014: 8 points
June 1, 2013: 10 points
June 1, 2012 and beyond: 15 points

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
#15 spot - 15 points
664 pages - 6 points
HF - 5 point
Date added: Jan 1, 2012: 15 pts
Total - 41 points

Hope that you are able to climb your TBR pile!!

Ask questions below.

message 2: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3416 comments Mod
This looks awesome! I'll start working on my list. :D

By the way, I have several TBRs, take your pick!

Want to Read - Interested in reading one day
to-read_audio - Owned in Audio to read
to-read_ebook - Owned in Ebook to read
to-read_owned ‎ - Owned in DTB format to read
wishlist - Probably the same as Want to Read but with a slightly higher priority? I don't actually even know anymore, but it counts as To Read. LOL

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 362 comments So glad this challenge is back! I'll start having a think of what books to put in my list :) do we post our lists in this thread or will there be a separate one?

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 362 comments Ignore my question - I see the separate thread for our reading lists.

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (last edited May 08, 2018 08:49PM) (new)

Hey everyone, I created a scoring spreadsheet template in Google docs, because I'm a nerd like that! :D

Feel free to download a copy (File > Make a Copy) and track your progress.

I set it up so that all you have to do is fill out the appropriate values, and all of the point calculations will be done for you.

1) List your book titles in Column C
2) Choose Y that you completed the book in Column D
3) Enter the number of pages in Column E
4) Enter Y in Columns G, K, M, O, Q, S for points if appropriate for applicable bonus tasks
5) Enter the number of years you have had the book on your TBR in column I.
6) Each Mod has a bonus task row at the bottom of the sheet - all the calculations will apply.
7) Each book score will be tallied at the end of the row, and your total challenge score will be at the top right of the sheet.

When you mark a book as "done" the row will change color, because EXTRA nerd = me. LOL

Here's the sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Please remember to make a copy and only make changes on YOUR copy! :)

message 6: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Awesome! Thank you.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments Yay! Thanks, Becky. This is one of my favorite challenges. I end up reading a lot off of my own bookshelves.

message 8: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Ace wrote: "Quick question, does it matter if I don't read them in the order listed? Apart from the obvious points scoring that is."

Nope! Read in any order you like. :)

message 9: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Just a note on the sheet since I am not sure I made it clear in my initial post about it... The per book total and challenge total scores will ONLY calculate as you mark books "done".

Up until that point, you can pre-add any info you like - page counts, bonuses, and those values will populate, but not be tallied until the book is marked complete (read).

So, as you're planning your lists, you can pretty much do all the work ahead of time, and then have more time for reading during the challenge. :D

message 10: by Becky, Moddess (new)

It is really hard to choose 100 books!

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments Becky wrote: "It is really hard to choose 100 books!"

Don't you mean 50?

message 12: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Becky wrote: "It is really hard to choose 100 books!"

I always struggle with the 50 so this year I'm making categories. 10 oldest books, 10 series in progress, 10 really want to read, 10 audiobooks, and 10 books that I own.

message 13: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 943 comments And I thought I was a book nerd :D

message 14: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jackie wrote: "Becky wrote: "It is really hard to choose 100 books!"

Don't you mean 50?"

Umm. Yes. Obvs! Lol

message 15: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments I thought the challenge changed and I got excited. lol. There is no way I could read 100 books in 3 months, but it means more book choices and I'm all about that.

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2227 comments Jasmine wrote: "Becky wrote: "It is really hard to choose 100 books!"

I always struggle with the 50 so this year I'm making categories. 10 oldest books, 10 series in progress, 10 really want to read, 10 audiobook..."

I like this strategy.

I'm trying to clear my real life shelves this round. So I'm putting the oldest books I own that I'm likely to read at the top. Those will probably be my top 10. My next 10 will probably consist of current books that I've been wanting to read, but haven't gotten around to it. The rest are just a free for all because my reading pace has slowed down and most likely I won't get to them, but I need to have choices so on they go :P

message 17: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I really have no idea where 100 came from. I made the tracking sheet with 50 but then when I started making my list, 100 was there in my brain. Super weird.

message 18: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1287 comments Mod
Becky wrote: "I really have no idea where 100 came from. I made the tracking sheet with 50 but then when I started making my list, 100 was there in my brain. Super weird."

Overachiever...... ;-D

message 19: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Dreamer is more like it! My goal for the YEAR is 100. Why on Earth would I think that would ever be a 3 month goal? LOL

message 20: by Becky, Moddess (last edited May 31, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

Hi Ace, this is Jasmine's challenge, but I'll jump in to answer, and if I'm wrong, she can blame me. :P

You can still make changes today, and personally, I'd go by Pacific time in the US (which is currently 7:24am) because that's official "Goodreads" time, which is what I've always used for polls and whatnot. Cutoff would be midnight.

Regarding changes, yes, you can add/change up to 5 books each 1st of the month, and rearrange at the same time, provided you haven't already completed/read the spots you're changing.

Like, if you read your #9 book, you can't move that book to the #48 spot.

Hope that helps. :)

message 21: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

What Becky said! And I have two small children and get up super early in the morning so I'm not going to lock the list until tomorrow, probably around 7 AM Pacific time.

message 22: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8075 comments Hope my list is in time. I couldn’t load it in the space reserved it seems a limitation of the phone app. Sorry and it went in two tranches. I’m
Really not sure what the time is or what day it is in the US. Just hope I’ve made it!

message 23: by Becky, Moddess (new)

You made it. :)

message 24: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Jasmine, I think that you are using my original rules. As stated, you can add up to 5 new books to the list, but there are no limits to the number of books that you can re-arrange. If you want to limit it to 5 changes altogether, then you should re-write the rules to make it clearer. Your challenge now ;-)

message 25: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Those are the rules I'm still using. I actually like that because I rearrange some. I may need to clarify the response earlier, but I read it as you can add five books, and then you can also rearrange at the same time.

message 26: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

The list is now locked. It will be opened again on July 1st.

message 27: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Jasmine are you going to make a separate progress/discussion thread, or should we use this one?

message 28: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Yeah, it gets tricky, because re-arranging causes knock on effects, I think the limit was you can only add 5 new books, which means deleting 5 books. However, there could be more than 5 movements as long as the books that have been read are “locked” and cannot be rearranged.

I did do a spreadsheet that calculated the bonuses as well for score keeping. It’s excel (not google), but I’m happy to send you a copy if you PmM your email.

message 29: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Becky wrote: "Jasmine are you going to make a separate progress/discussion thread, or should we use this one?"

I'm going to make a separate score sheet. I just wanted to wait until today that way no one posted before the challenge officially started.

message 30: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

JoLene wrote: "Yeah, it gets tricky, because re-arranging causes knock on effects, I think the limit was you can only add 5 new books, which means deleting 5 books. However, there could be more than 5 movements a..."

The past year I used an excel sheet with 3 sheets. One for the list, one for the scores, and one for the 1 time bonuses. It's not fun when the list get rearranged, but other than that it has been pretty effective.

message 31: by JoLene, Mistress of the Challenge (new)

Ok, I had one tab per person which calculated everything. You did still have to rearrange the list but otherwise everything was automatically called from the info given in the post.

message 32: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

JoLene wrote: "Ok, I had one tab per person which calculated everything. You did still have to rearrange the list but otherwise everything was automatically called from the info given in the post."

I wouldn't mind you sending me yours and I can just see which works better for me.

message 33: by Sara (new)

Sara | 43 comments Can I send my list before July 1st, so I can participate in the challenge for months of July & August?

message 34: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Sara wrote: "Can I send my list before July 1st, so I can participate in the challenge for months of July & August?"

On July 1st, or a few days beforehand, I'll open up the lists and you can enter in your list on that day. You'll just have 25 books instead of the 50. Make sure to still start your list at 50 though so you can get all the points.

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara | 43 comments Jasmine wrote: "Sara wrote: "Can I send my list before July 1st, so I can participate in the challenge for months of July & August?"

On July 1st, or a few days beforehand, I'll open up the lists and you can enter..."

Sounds good! Thank you

message 36: by Erica (new)

Erica | 362 comments Hey I notice in the scores thread that some people are claiming more than one summer bonus task for a book. I thought it was just one per book i.e. you need to read five books to get all five summer challenges complete? Can you clarify which is correct? Thanks :)

message 37: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Erica wrote: "Hey I notice in the scores thread that some people are claiming more than one summer bonus task for a book. I thought it was just one per book i.e. you need to read five books to get all five summe..."

You can only claim one summer task bonus per book.

message 38: by Becky, Moddess (new)

I did the same thing! I will correct my post.

message 39: by Becky, Moddess (new)

OK fixed... Thanks for pointing that out, Erica. :)

message 40: by Erica (new)

Erica | 362 comments No worries! Thought it best to get clarified early on otherwise might be a big job to re-calculate

message 41: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Erica wrote: "No worries! Thought it best to get clarified early on otherwise might be a big job to re-calculate"

Thank you! Yes, it wouldn't be fun to sort out later in the challenge.

message 42: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8075 comments I
I have several
Very interesting books which are less than 200
Pages. Could we list two together on one place? This could happen on 1st July?

message 43: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8075 comments What I should say is that I have inadvertently listed books which are less than 200 pages. Could I move two together so that I must read two shorter books to qualify for what would normally be one book longer than 200 pages. But the two must add up to more than 200 pages together. Hope that’s clear!!

message 44: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hi Margaret, Jasmine will be the final decision maker, but I would say no. The rules state a minimum length of 200 pages based on the most popular edition, so I would say you'd need to swap out those books when the change period opens at the end of the month.

message 45: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8075 comments Pity I really want to read them and not get distracted from
The challenge

message 46: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Margaret wrote: "Pity I really want to read them and not get distracted from
The challenge"

I'm going to second what Becky already stated. At the end of the month you can swap them out. I have the problem of having put the same book on my list twice, so I get to swap that out at the end of the month.

message 47: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8075 comments Thanks Jasmine!

message 48: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Just to let everyone know I'm unlocking the lists today so I don't forget. They will be open until Monday July 2nd.

message 49: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8075 comments Not sure that I can edit using the app. Jasmine I emailed you my changes. Hope that’s ok?

message 50: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Jun 26, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

Thanks Jasmine! I edited my list. Only swapped out 3 books, no rearranging:

#49 - Was Ruby, now is The Liberal Redneck Manifesto: Draggin' Dixie Outta the Dark

#47 - Was The Trap, now is Cibola Burn

#40 - Was The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, now is Nemesis Games

« previous 1