Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Monthly rollover - April participation points calculated

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments We have a lot of new members and just wanted to make you aware of our timing.

We generally calculate the participation’s right at the beginning of the month for the previous month. A good clue is when the raffle winner is announced, that means we’ve done the calculation of participation points.

This means that if you didn’t finish the book for the previous tag (in this case, strong women), you should put your review in the May 2018: Other Books. This will ensure that you will get at least one participation point.

I have moved a couple of reviews into the May other books folder so they will be counted in this month’s accounting since we don’t look at the previous month’s threads.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6382 comments Just a suggestion .... Maybe you should post a note
"Participation Points Calculated to above post" Or something like that ... to help members recognize when this happens.

One thing I've done in the past, when I've finished a book late in the month, but just haven't had time to write the review ..... I post the basic data (title, author, star rating, date finished) on or about the last day of the month (or first of next month) and a sentence that I'll be back with a full review shortly. Then, when I've finished my review I go back and edit the original post to include my full comments.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Thanks BC, I think we would have to put a pinned post because for most people the sort order is based on the timing of the last comment (which means that it would change if people comment on it.)

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6382 comments I forget sometimes that not everyone uses GR the same way. I start on the main group page, click on the "unread" link and go from there. Always takes me to the first UNread message.

Alternately you could send a blast message to everyone via the messaging system.

message 5: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Interesting, I didn’t know you could do that.

I had a mild panic attack last night because the UI changed. It turned out that I accidentally hit the mobile site, instead of desktop site. The mobile site isn’t very useable for what I was doing!

message 6: by LibraryCin (last edited May 08, 2018 04:20PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9055 comments Just a suggestion .... Maybe you should post a note
"Participation Points Calculated to above post" Or something like that ... to help members recognize when this happens.

This is why I can't do the shelving like I used to at shelfari! I have to do the entire folder all at once. The only way a note like that works for me is if everything is in one thread. When each review is it's own thread, that just doesn't work, anymore.

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6382 comments Oh, right ... I completely forgot that each review is it's own thread. DUH ...

So a pinned post that the folder is closed (but you'd still be relying on someone actually reading that message.

The blast message is probably your best bet. Especially considering that our membership about doubled while the group was a featured group.

message 8: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments We don’t send out blast messages very often, we typically send only one a year.

New members will catch on. It is not the end of the world if a review is missed and we can move the few stragglers manually.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Nicole R wrote: "We don’t send out blast messages very often, we typically send only one a year.

New members will catch on. It is not the end of the world if a review is missed and we can move the few stragglers ..."

Yes, I find that in general blast messages are pretty unwelcomed. We always lose membership after executing one.

I think our modus operandi is to err in favor of our members whenever possible . . .so we want them to get the points if they've read the book for the tag, and this month's message is mostly just to help out all the new members who don't know the drill. Otherwise, as Nicole says, we can handle the exceptions here and there.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin A I know I have been on it before, but how do we look at our points.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Robin wrote: "I know I have been on it before, but how do we look at our points."

Hi Robin,

Here is a link. We do post the linke each month when we post the voting so you can check your points before you vote.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8412 comments Newbie here-just to clarify something. When I vote, it asks how many votes I want to use-so if I chose to only use one vote, do the points(votes)roll-over or do I lose them?

message 13: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Hello Joanne, once earned the points are yours to use. Most of the time that is by voting on monthly tag. On occasion, we o have other Waugh’s to use participation points.

For monthly voting, everyone gets 1 free point to vote. You can use up to 9 more votes more votes.

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments Great question Joanne! The points roll over . . .so feel free to save them up. One vote is always free so you can always cast one without impacting your point balance.

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments I don’t have points tallied for April and I read 2 books for the Tag (one of those also counted for my Decathlon and listopia)

message 16: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Michelle, you got credit for two books plus the listopia bonus which is 9 points. However, you actually voted for the May tag twice using 5 points each time. This means that you used up 9 points, which is break even.