Who's Your Author? discussion

Let's talk about... > Thoughts about goodreads

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4057 comments It has been a while now since Goodreads was purchased by Amazon and I find myself wondering what do people think of this site. What do you use it for? If you are an old timer how does it compare to the pre-amazon days?

message 2: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4547 comments One good thing for librarians at least is we can use information & covers from any amazon affiliate, like Abebooks, Book Depository & of course amazon.

Otherwise, not sure if we can blame Amazon for the crap on the Home Feed that I no longer see or use, but we probably can, and of course I hear there are lots of adds & banner crap, which I don't see thanks to adblock plus.

And I so miss the home feed, seeing what all my friends are reading :(

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah S | 77 comments The most useful parts to me are the to-read, and read lists I make. I go here first when looking for books. I try to be involved in some groups, and I try to get my students involved in discussions on here. I honestly don't remember the differences from before Amazon, and I've had an account for years.

I ignore most of the ads. I do like when authors post their blogposts here so I can read them if I'm not paying attention to their webpage.

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3122 comments I mostly use GR to track the books I've read or want to read. The reviews I post are for myself, if others find them helpful, that's extra.

As far as groups, I follow a lot of conversations, but often don't have anything extra to add.

I ignore the ads as much as I can, sometimes it's hard when thy are so in your face as often with movie and tv ones.

I do scroll through my feed, look at what people are reading/adding, read updates, but don't usually comment, more find books to add to my own list.

I would say that there are probably only a handful I interact with on a regular basis. I don't mean to snob people, but when/if you have a lot of friends it's hard to keep up a lot of interaction, plus it takes away from my reading time. lol I do jump into conversations that are interesting to me or I feel like I can add something.