2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
This topic is about Murder on Mulberry Bend

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Did you ever suspect Mrs. Wells? If so, what was the first clue or event that had you look her way? What sealed the deal for you?

message 2: by Charlene (last edited May 08, 2018 10:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments I don't recall the exact moment I suspected her, but her cheerful announcements that these girls (or others) -- who had reached a "state of grace," by which she meant conversion to her own brand of faith -- were better off dead because they were in heaven put my hackles up. There seemed to be no grief in her about their deaths.

Something Dennis said [which I can't recall] really pointed in Mrs Wells' direction with laser-like clarity. I couldn't understand why Sarah missed it at that point.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
I picked up on that, too, Charlene. She didn’t seem to have empathy for these girls and her judgment about them surfaced immediately. I think Sarah got swept up in the effort to provide them a haven where there wasn’t one anywhere else and her vision was blurred. She kept making excuses for her.

I suspected her from the onset, particularly how she created an environment where the girls competed with each other for the favored spot. She never left my suspect list.

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments I suspected her early in the book. She just seemed too over-the-top about moving these girls away from the catholic faith to what she considered the true faith. Later when Dennis was talking about Mrs. Wells and her obsession with death, I made up my mind that she was the killer.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments From the beginning! As I said previously, it was her reaction to Sarah's comment about Frank's continued investigation that convinced me.