2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
This topic is about Murder on Mulberry Bend

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7660 comments Mod
Religion is a major element of this story. Mrs. Wells was intolerant of Catholicism, Father O’Brien didn’t believe Italians should worship with the general congregation and neither believed these young girls could truly be forgiven because they were whores. Were they representative of the extremes in their groups or the norms? Have things changed much in organized religion today?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1391 comments Some of you may know that I am ordained and was a pastor before I went back for my Ph. D. to teach at the seminary level.

I don't think we can make gross generalizations here. I've seen intolerance, ignorance, and general ill will; but I've also seen acceptance and generosity and caring between different Christian groups.

I don't have personal knowledge beyond these groups.

I was hoping you’d weigh in, Charlene.

I’m certainly not a religious scholar but having lived amongst so many different cultures because of my Dad’s military career, I’ve had the opportunity to observe how religion is practiced in different countries and throughout the US. I was profoundly impacted by the practice of Catholicism when we lived in Italy. It differed so much from what I’d seen in the US.

Here in the US, we have extremes in most all faiths and what they all seem to have in common is a strong level of intolerance for anyone not sharing their beliefs. Mrs. Wells seemed to fall in this category. Father O’Brien and Father Ahearn seemed to share the views of the time about the Italians.

I think generally we do better when we know better. I’d like to believe we’re better now than we were at the turn of the 19th century but still will find religious zealots in every religion.

Robin (robinmy) | 1214 comments Here in the US, we have extremes in most all faiths and what they all seem to have in common is a strong level of intolerance for anyone not sharing their beliefs.

So True.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Good points, Jonetta.
It is the extremists who exhibit the intolerance and while they are a minority, they are also the ones who shout the loudest, and are therefore the ones most heard. It is a pity that the majority is often silent.

Exactly, Lauren. We often dismiss them as nuts, not knowing that they are slowly making a difference and being heard and believed. Once they’re given a big platform, it’s too late.