Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > Pass The Parcel: Round 3 - Theme suggestions (CLOSED)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments So assuming we have enough members sign on for the next Pass The Parcel round, are there any themes that you would like to see in the next round. Post your suggestions here.

Please ensure that any theme suggested can fit multiple genres and is broad enough to provide plenty of scope to find books on shelves and in the GR summary.

I can't guarantee that I will use all suggested themes obviously (we still have 11 unused themes from the last round) but I will select the best 'all-rounders' to fill out my theme quota :)

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 21, 2014 08:24PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Suggested Themes:

* Divorced MC
* MC aged 40+
* MC is a Widow/Widower
* MC is a Single Parent
* MC Love Triangle
* MC works in the culinary field
* MC works in law enforcement
* MC with amnesia
* MC is scarred/injured
* MC in the military or ex-military
* MC in trouble with the law
* Select a book for your team-mate from their TBR
* MC is in a bike/motorcycle club or rides a bike (including bicycles)
* Uniformally Hot - MC in some kind of uniform (Cop, military, doctor and etc)
* Bookcover - No people on the cover
* Fairytales/myths retelling
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
* MC is a nerd/geek/genuis
* MC is a non-popular shifter (not wolves, bears (?), cats)
* Erotic
* MC is a fae/angel
* Bookcover - Tattoo
* Bookcover - Piercing
* MC is a witch/uses magic
* Plot contains the theme Second Chance
* Mutlicultural MCs
* MC is a cowboy
* Away from home romance (whether on vacation, for work, or going to college at least one MC has to be away from his/her home.)
* MC is an athlete
* Teacher/student romance
* Unrequited love
* books that people got for free
* cross dressers (women pretending to be men and vice versa)
* set in the future/space travel
* psychic
* MC is the scapegoat of a crime >Romantic Suspense
* Enemies to lovers
* MC has red hair (on the cover)
* Read a book from a sub genre of romance that you never have before
* Read a book from a RRRC member's favorite shelf

message 3: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments A Divorced MC
Middle aged MC (40+)

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 354 comments Widow/Widower
Single Parent

message 5: by Medavis66 (new)

Medavis66 | 238 comments Romance triangle?

message 6: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Medavis66 wrote: "Romance triangle?"

Are there shelves for that? Sometimes it's in the GR summary, but we would need some solid shelving...

message 7: by Fran, Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2014 04:52PM) (new)

message 8: by Medavis66 (new)

Medavis66 | 238 comments Thanks Fran!

message 9: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Thanks Fran! LOL.

message 10: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments MC works in a Culinary field

message 11: by Susan A (new)

Susan A | 1460 comments Law Enforcement MC

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments MC struck with amnesia.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Scarred protagonist
Wrongly accused/imprisoned MC
MC is a war hero.

Okay... that's all I have ATM.... : )

message 14: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "MC struck with amnesia."

Are there lists for that one??

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments How about choose a book for one of your teammates.

message 16: by Calila (last edited Aug 07, 2014 01:02AM) (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "MC struck with amnesia."

Are there lists for that one??"

Amnesia Themed Romance - 119 books

Heroes and Heroines With Amnesia (Historical Romance) - 39 books

Gay Romance Featuring A Main Character(MC) with Amnesia - 30 books

message 17: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments Bikers & MC romance

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Uniformaly Hot main character be in some kind of uniform (Cop, military, doctor and etc)

Cops Best Small Town Cop/Sheriff Romance Novels

Military Military Romance and Fiction

Medical Doctor/Medical Romance Heroes

message 19: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments - No people on the cover
- Fairytales/myths retelling

message 20: by Shannon (last edited Aug 08, 2014 01:37PM) (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments nerd/geek/genuis
non popular shifters (not wolves, bears, cats)
Erotic
Fae
Angels
Tattooed (cover)
Pierced (cover)
Witches
Second Chance

I think the final should not be announced and maybe be a surprise or difficult read. Maybe even let a teammate choose.

message 21: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Shannon wrote: "I think the final should not be announced and maybe be a surprise or difficult read. Maybe even let a teammate choose."

What do you mean Shannon? I don't understand how you want the final theme to be managed?

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1135 comments Mutlicultural lovers
Cowboys
Away from home romance (whether on vacation, for work, or going to college at least one MC has to be away from his/her home.)
I like Shannon's witches but to make it even wider ranging how about magic users.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Calila wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "MC struck with amnesia."

Are there lists for that one??"

Amnesia Themed Romance - 119 books

Heroes and Heroines With Amnesia (Historical Romance) -..."

Thanks, Calila!

Jane - Here's one for the scarred MC theme: Scars Are Sexy There are a couple of others, too.

I've been looking for a "wrongly accused or imprisoned" shelf, but I'm not having any luck. I've stumbled over a couple of books that meet it, but it may be difficult to use. As always, I defer to your discretion. : )

message 24: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 08, 2014 10:49PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "CI've been looking for a "wrongly accused or imprisoned" shelf, but I'm not having any luck. I've stumbled over a couple of books that meet it, but it may be difficult to use..."

That one will probably only be determined by the blurb and members' shelving.

I'm putting everything on the list for now, and will cull later. Eg, We can't really have erotica since this challenge is open to all ages and won't suit any christain readers :)

Thanks for the scar shelf, Becky!

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Roger - president of NBR United - wrote: "I like Shannon's witches but to make it even wider ranging how about magic users..."

Huh - I hadn't refreshed since last on my computer, and had already expanded the theme just as you suggested, Roger. Shazam!

message 26: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Skandia wrote: "- No people on the cover
- Fairytales/myths retelling"

I really like these two!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone have any idea when this round might start?

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1135 comments no clue but would like to know!

message 29: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments I'll open sign up for the third round in a week or so. The round will kick off on 12 September.

message 30: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3442 comments MC is an athlete
Teacher/student romance
Unrequited love

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks Jane.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 731 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "I'll open sign up for the third round in a week or so. The round will kick off on 12 September."

Yay! I'm looking forward to it!

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1135 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Eg, We can't really have erotica since this challenge is open to all ages and won't suit any christain readers :)"

While I agree that it wouldn't be appropriate for under 18 reader I think you are being to narrowing of what some Christains will read. Then again I say that as A Gay Christain who is also a reader of erotica.

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I think the final should not be announced and maybe be a surprise or difficult read. Maybe even let a teammate choose."

What do you mean Shannon? I don't understand how you want t..."

When I played the first round I felt like people started the final book before the round was called. Because they know what the theme is for the last book. I would like the last book to be as much of a surprise as all the other themes. Even more of a surprise if possible.

message 35: by Sassafrass (last edited Aug 09, 2014 08:53PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3442 comments I don't remember the theme being called earlier than when it was supposed to start, Shannon. I'll see if I can find the thread...

ETA: when the theme was announced we were allowed to start reading. here's the link

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 36: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Shannon wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I think the final should not be announced and maybe be a surprise or difficult read. Maybe even let a teammate choose."

What do you mean Shannon? I don't underst..."

No-one knows what the theme is until I announce it - whether it is the final round or the the first round. Even I don't know since I don't run the randomiser until about 5-10 minutes before the announcement. So it HAS to be a surprise to everyone unless they decide to read from a team-members shelf.

Removing Option 2 is the only way to remove anyone pre-selecting their book...

message 37: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments No, please don't remove the Option 2!

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments I'm with Skandia.. Please don't remove option 2.

message 39: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Lol!!! Democracy at work ;)

It would only be for the final theme announcement - but maybe I could come up with another option 2 selection process for that last theme announcement that no-one can preselect but still provides all the width of choice for all genres...

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (wckdktty) | 479 comments OK, just seemed like people knew before hand on some of them. Maybe they were just lucky.

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1135 comments This suggestion is just for the final pick:

Well it would depend on number of teams and number of categories available but if you make it so there are enough categories left after the next to last category is picked for one for each team you can randomly assign one theme to each of the teams.

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1064 comments -books that people got for free
-cross dressers (women pretending to be men and vice versa)
-set in the future/space travel
-psychic

speaking for myself, i had a list of the books i had chosen for every option last time, and as soon as a category was called, i could start reading the book i had already picked.

message 43: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3442 comments repeat, but I didn't know if you saw it, Jane

MC is an athlete
Teacher/student romance
Unrequited love

message 44: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments I saw Sass - but I can't edit my first post on my phone :) I'll update suggestions when I'm next at my computer.

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments That's what I'd be doing too beppy, if I were playing :)

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments Roger, I think it was that if you wanted to you could have already decided to read an option 2 book for the final week and have it all ready to go, rather than go with the theme for that week.

message 47: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3442 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "I saw Sass - but I can't edit my first post on my phone :) I'll update suggestions when I'm next at my computer."

Sorry, Jane. I can delete my repeat post. THANKS!

message 48: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3442 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "That's what I'd be doing too beppy, if I were playing :)"

I think it's a great idea so you're not wasting time when the theme is announced to find a book.

message 49: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19626 comments Don't about deleting Sass - it's no prob :)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1135 comments @Lisa I was trying to work with what shannon wanted, it to be a surprise theme. not removing option two, even though not allowing option 2 for the final week would be similar to other challenges I have been in.

« previous 1