Audiobooks discussion

Genre Discussions > Chic Lit

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Boyles (cwf1965) | 162 comments Let's name some books that would fit well in this genre to get things started.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments My two favorite chick lit authors are Kristan Higgins and Sarah Addison Allen. I have listened to several of their books on audiobook and enjoyed them -- especially Sarah Addison Allen's books.

message 3: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1061 comments Both Bridget Jones (the first 2 books) and the Shopaholic series are delightful on audio. There's not much to them as literature but the right narrator makes all the difference. I also enjoyed The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot (there are apparently many books with that name!) I think that one as well as Bridget Jones was read by Barbara Rosenblatt.

message 4: by Stacy (last edited Jul 28, 2014 08:02PM) (new)

Stacy Boyles (cwf1965) | 162 comments Anything by Nicholas Sparks such as The Notebook (The Notebook, #1) by Nicholas Sparks , also Liane Moriarty's books like The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty , What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty , and Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells all come to mind.

message 5: by Briar Rose (last edited Jul 29, 2014 01:23AM) (new)

Briar Rose | 152 comments The works of Mavis Cheek, e.g. Aunt Margaret's Lover by Mavis Cheek and Janice Gentle Gets Sexy by Mavis Cheek

Marian Keyes, eg This Charming Man by Marian Keyes

Nick Hornby- I don't think his work is exactly chick lit, but it's often grouped in with it. Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby is particularly good on audio.

Lou Wakefield has some quite good books, e.g. Sleeping Partners by Lou Wakefield

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Loved the first two Bridget Jones as well.

message 7: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments I thought Mennonite in a Little Black Dress seemed enough of a regular memoir, not specifically chic lit.

message 8: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments To be fair, I don't recall the details of the book, but if it'd seemed all that chic-lit-y to me, I'd have probably remembered that. I have a higher tolerance for that though.

message 9: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 3669 comments I liked it a lot - as much about Bridget finding herself on predicaments than anything ... romance-
oriented.

message 10: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1061 comments If it's narrated by Barbara Rosenblatt, I recommend it. I really enjoyed it.The romance part is actually an updated Pride and Prejudice but I agree it's also about her career, family, friends, etc.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1546 comments Julie wrote: "Dear Bridget Jones Fans :

I came in here to ask if this would be considered chic lit and see that it is in here so I guess so .
Does it have lots of boyfriend / bedroom stuff or is it mostly funn..."

I loved it. It is a light chick lit book with not a lot of sex that I remember (I think there was some). It is one of my all time favorite audiobooks.