Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > How long before you forget details from a book?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments So, I am in my record breaking year for reading as I move from one book to another rather fast. I ended up forgetting what the previous one was about. Well, not the main plot, but the details. This makes it hard for me to discuss the book if I already moved on to the next one.

Is it just me or anyone else having the same experience?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1770 comments Definitely!

message 3: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Yanique Gillana | 1016 comments Mod
I'll always remember a story I've read. I may forget a few minor details in a couple years, but that's it. If it's a favorite, or if I re-read I'll never forget. If only this worked for text books or general information like people's names, faces, grocery lists.... all my talents are useless, lol!

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena Names fade but the general story stays. I’m better with dogs names anyway.

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Oh yes I always remember dog names but not the people.

Maybe I just need to reread or at least be around in conversations about it to jog the memory.

I am no multitasker so I guess that also applies to books. Only one world can exist at a time.

message 6: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments I'm on the Lena/Silvana end of the continuum. I'll remember a few scenes very vividly but if a few years pass *pooof* is all gone.

Sentences I like I will carry like flames.
Is better this way, I think.
The re-reads are always so much more fun.

With fantasy, if I'm reading a lot of it...I mix up the magic systems and chars even :-/ how do the bots keep everything sorted out n all...

message 7: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7863 comments I'm the same as Zaara, in those exact words! I'll remember a few scenes very vividly but if a few years pass *pooof* is all gone.

But I am having the same problem sometimes Silvana, where I start my next book quickly and forget details of the last one straight away.

I've always said my memory seems to be pretty bad for books and films so why do I bother! Haha. I might need to start taking notes...

message 8: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1088 comments I once managed to re-read an entire book and not remember the twist and got to be surprised a second time ha! But I do usually remember the gist of the books I’ve read just not necessarily scenes.

message 9: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Like Elantris...I remembered ELANTRIS ALLBOOK SPOILER FOR @SHIVAAN DO NOT OPEN (view spoiler)but all the rest...gone...
But Emperor of Thorns which technically I love more I remembered absolutely nothing!!! So.... so when @Virginie posted comparative series spoilers on the Osheim thread I was all mindblown and Woooooow! And she was all 😂😜 but Zu...didnt you already read this?

message 10: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments It really really depends on the book. There are some I don't recall reading and others that will stay with me forever. I also found that writing reviews helps in this regard.

message 11: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Olivia wrote: "I once managed to re-read an entire book and not remember the twist and got to be surprised a second time ha!"

Yeah....pretty much what I graphically described above...😂😂😂

message 12: by Hailee (last edited May 05, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments My experience doesn't seem to differ from most peoples here by the sound of it. My memory can be pretty bad which is why I panic about having too many series on the go at a time (not that it stops me starting new ones all the time!!!)

Sometimes particular books will stick in my head for decades, for good or bad reasons. For instance a book I read over 16-17 years ago when I was about 11-13 years old and I can still remember at least half of the scenes in it (although not most of the characters names). But then on the other hand, scenes and characters in books that I read last year or earlier that month (even one I really liked) are already starting to get blurry.

message 13: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

My memory is weird like that I guess. Even when I’m studying, I can’t just memorize facts, names etc. So I would usually watch something on tv while I studied so that I could associate the information I was studying with a story. Then to remember things I would think about that show. For subjects where things flowed like history, and literature I never had to study. Names are always the first to go though.!

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
It depends on the book. If I'm engaged and it's awesome I have really good recall. The worse the book.........

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Mayim wrote: "It really really depends on the book. There are some I don't recall reading and others that will stay with me forever. I also found that writing reviews helps in this regard."

^^^This.

message 16: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Siobhan wrote: "I'm the same as Zaara, in those exact words! I'll remember a few scenes very vividly but if a few years pass *pooof* is all gone.

But I am having the same problem sometimes Silvana, where I start ..."

Mayim is correct when she said thats what reviews are for. Unfortunately my review is mostly about what I felt about the book and not the plot. I just don't like providing synopsis.

Zaara wrote: "I'm on the Lena/Silvana end of the continuum. I'll remember a few scenes very vividly but if a few years pass *pooof* is all gone.

Sentences I like I will carry like flames.
Is better this way, I..."

Magic system
Characters
I would add places to that list.

message 17: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Yanique wrote: "My memory is weird like that I guess. Even when I’m studying, I can’t just memorize facts, names etc. So I would usually watch something on tv while I studied so that I could associate the informat..."

Memory association...it is indeed useful. How do you do that with fiction? Do you have examples?

Scott wrote: "It depends on the book. If I'm engaged and it's awesome I have really good recall. The worse the book........."

I think it depends. If it made me having a strong feeling like annoyance or anger then I will remember it.

Hailee wrote: "My experience doesn't seem to differ from most peoples here by the sound of it. My memory can be pretty bad which is why I panic about having too many series on the go at a time (not that it stops ..."

Yes, series are hard, aren't they? I also got mixed up on which scenes go in which book.

message 18: by Yanique, Thread Master (new)

Silvana wrote: "Yanique wrote: "My memory is weird like that I guess. Even when I’m studying, I can’t just memorize facts, names etc. So I would usually watch something on tv while I studied so that I could associ..."

I don't do it with fiction that's the thing, my memory for anything in the form of a story or event it really good. I use the association trick for other things. I've found that association works well for me, and I can use the same show multiple times for different things. I just compartmentalize.

Example: in biology classes, there were too many names. names of people, names of proteins etc, and a lot of this protein does this thing in this process. So I would watch something (like Stargate because it's my favorite show and I know it by heart so it doesn't require any concentration) when studying. Then during the exam I would think of the Stargate episodes I watched and what I was reading at the time.

Another thing I would do is study in the room where I would be taking the exam. I would then associate certain information with things in the room. So in the exam I would only have to look at that chair or whatever to remember it.

message 19: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1971 comments Depends on the book. Some I forget the main character's name the minute I finish the last page, others I can quote dialogue years later.

message 20: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3391 comments Mayim wrote: "It really really depends on the book. There are some I don't recall reading and others that will stay with me forever. I also found that writing reviews helps in this regard."

Basically what Mayim said.

message 21: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7557 comments Mod
I was having issue with that. I started slowing down listening speed to give myself more time for reflection for audiobooks and that seems to have helped (I don't seem to have an issue with physical reads). Also writing more timely reviews. Some writers make it easier than others to retain details, so I know it's not all because of a bad memory lol. Although I'm rubbish at remembering names - I'll forget them while still reading the freaking book (it annoys me enough that I'm actively trying to work out why my brain does that and fix it lol).

message 22: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3178 comments Mayim wrote: "It really really depends on the book. There are some I don't recall reading and others that will stay with me forever. "

It is the same for me. :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3910 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I was having issue with that. I started slowing down listening speed to give myself more time for reflection for audiobooks and that seems to have helped (I don't seem to have an issue with physica..."

Same.

For me it depends on the book, but I've found that some books I just really need to slow down in audio or I can't remember them.

Most books stay with me, but some books I just can't retain. And sometimes it's just random. Blood Song by Anthony Ryan comes to mind. I remember really loving the book when I was listening to it, and I remember parts really clearly, but there are other sections I just can't remember at all. Like when I was listening to the sequel they would talk about scenes in Blood Song, which I had listened to just a month prior, and I couldn't remember those parts for the life of me. And I still remember the sequel very clearly now, months later, even though I enjoyed it less than the first one. My brain is too random.

message 24: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments @Niki: The Xray feature in Kindle really helps with remembering names. Unfortunately not all books have it.

message 25: by Lena (new)

Lena Yes! All books need X Ray!

message 26: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 18108 comments Mod
Most books stay with me for a long time, even if I can't recall them on command... usually I just need someone to jog my memory and I can regurgitate large chunks of the plot...

That was what happened with Kushiel's Dart/Chosen when me and Veronica were discussing it a few months back, and I read those 2-4 years ago...

Main reason I have to rewind audiobooks is I start doing something that takes too much of my mind away from paying attention...

To a certain extent, the book needs to be memorable, as well... bland books fade away, because I don't care enough to remember...

message 27: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments For me, it seems that I will still forget the details even with books I rated five stars that I just read a week or a month ago. It seems like my brain automatically deletes info after reading to give way for the new one. Lucky I am no longer in college! 😆

message 28: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2613 comments Silvana wrote: "For me, it seems that I will still forget the details even with books I rated five stars that I just read a week or a month ago. It seems like my brain automatically deletes info after reading to g..."

My brain does exactly the same thing Silvana. A bad trait for a bookworm :-(

message 29: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Hailee, I am glad I am not alone. We should make a Forgetful Readers Club or something.

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 18108 comments Mod
Hailee wrote: "Silvana wrote: "For me, it seems that I will still forget the details even with books I rated five stars that I just read a week or a month ago. It seems like my brain automatically deletes info af..."

Just means you can rediscover the magic on re-read :D

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I read my first kindle book on my phone the other day, and omg the X-ray feature is amazing. My nook doesn't have that, so I need to save up for a kindle. I've been seriously missing out.

message 32: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
I'm the same as most others - it really depends on the book.

I find with series I remember the overarching plot, but I often forget smaller plots and I can never remember what happened in each individual book. One of my coworkers is halfway through Malazan and I have been avoiding talking about it because I just have no idea if what I'm going to say with spoil everything or if he's already read it.

message 33: by Lena (new)

Lena Niki Hawkes wrote: "I read my first kindle book on my phone the other day, and omg the X-ray feature is amazing. My nook doesn't have that, so I need to save up for a kindle. I've been seriously missing out."

Everything is on sale right now for mother’s day. I ordered a Fire 8 for my mom.

message 34: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Oooh! Thanks for the tip. I'm getting one.

message 35: by Silvana (last edited May 08, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Oooh! Thanks for the tip. I'm getting one."

Fire is the tablet with no e-ink, right? I'd suggest the Kindle Paperwhite. Less distraction, more battery power, can read under sunlight/darkness etc.

Comparison table: https://www.epubor.com/kindle-fire-vs...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3910 comments Silvana wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Oooh! Thanks for the tip. I'm getting one."

Fire is the tablet with no e-ink, right? I'd suggest the Kindle Paperwhite. Less distraction, more battery power, can read under sun..."

I absolutely love my paperwhite. No glare in the sun, can read at any brightness, the battery lasts like a month, even with as much as I read. It's the best thing I've ever bought myself.

message 37: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Sweet, thank you. :) now I just need a chart to distinguish between all the paperwhites. There's like 7 options and I'm flustered.

message 38: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Huh? I think it is just the editions/generations. Just pick the most recent/ last generation one.

And get the one with ads, it is cheaper and you can always ask Amazon to remove it after purchase.

My first gen Paperwhite works well till now.

message 39: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments hmm you might be looking at Kindle not Kindle Paperwhite. Cmiiw Kindle has now 7th gen device.

Kindle Paperwhite is now 3rd gen but it does not matter since the one sold in Amazon is the latest one.

this is the one you should buy
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Kindle-...

special offers means ads. which is fine (see my previous post)

message 40: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Sweet that's exactly what I needed. Thanks Silvana! :)

message 41: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1818 comments Are you reading this, Amazon? Niki is the 16th person I persuaded to buy a Kindle. Give me my gift vouchers!

message 42: by Lena (last edited May 08, 2018 08:25AM) (new)

Lena Lol. You should get some gift card love. I have a paper white too which gives me lip sometimes. I’ve gone back to my iPad for awhile, I like the sienna tone, but it’s older heavy one - hate that extra weight. I want a Fire so I bought my mom one, out of love, and so I can properly look at it. We bought each other iPads for Christmas a few years ago so hers is too heavy too. Lots of YouTube videos say that if you are just reading, emailing, watching videos, and having fun a Fire will do instead of an iPad (which is way more expensive).