Year-long NaNo discussion

Nicki Chapelway > Top Secret Project

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments So, this is what I'm going to be calling my Top Secret Project. It has a title, but that's a spoiler. It's a dystopian, but that's all I'll say about the premise right now.

Since I can't tell you much about the premise, here are some excerpts.

“You have the looks and the brains to go places. To get out of here. To live a good life. To survive. And if you waste them… well, then obviously I was wrong about how smart you are.”

“Logan Rook is not at all a person you would call classically handsome. He wouldn’t have made a good hero even if he hadn’t first been a villain. He doesn’t have any strong features. Well, that’s not entirely true. I suppose you could say that his jaw is relatively strong. But that feature was bellied by cheeks that were too soft and round. His nose isn’t large or impressive, but instead a small, button nose. His eyebrows, I suppose hardened his features- even if just a little bit. Large, bushy, with a tendency to lower into a scowl. But even with them he doesn’t even look like villain material. Scar on left jaw or no. I would have placed him as more of an inconsequential side character who nobody would care if he got killed off.
His only actually attractive feature, I suppose, was his eyes. Hard and grey, promising intelligence. But even they were unfortunately deep set, overshadowed by his more than impressive eyebrows.”

And here is an excerpt from the beginning...

Truth is really just a matter of perspective. Generally it’s the media’s perspective. That doesn’t always have to be the case, but nine times out of ten it is.
For instance, according to the media, I am smart, beautiful, loved. Happy. Perfect. And even if over half of those aren’t actually true, I’m not about to contradict the media. So I just let the media keep spouting their lies. I keep pretending that those lies are actually truths. And maybe, perhaps someday, those lies won’t actually be lies after all.
I release a breath as I struggle to put my makeup on, but my hand is trembling so badly that I smear my lipstick. I grab a wipe and rub it off, staring into my reflection’s eyes and I see the same fear there that I feel deep inside.
Assuming I live long enough for it to, that is.

Well, that's all for now folks!

The Daydreamologist (thedaydreamologist) Nicki wrote: "So, this is what I'm going to be calling my Top Secret Project. It has a title, but that's a spoiler. It's a dystopian, but that's all I'll say about the premise right now.

Since I can't tell you ..."

Contemporary? This sounds really promising!
👌👍

message 3: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments To Catch A Falling Star wrote: "Nicki wrote: "So, this is what I'm going to be calling my Top Secret Project. It has a title, but that's a spoiler. It's a dystopian, but that's all I'll say about the premise right now.

Since I c..."

It takes place a little bit in the future, but yeah, it's pretty similar to contemporary with a few marked changes. Thanks :P

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 5/4/18- 1,416 words.

message 5: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 5/7/18- 1,317 words.

Here's an excerpt...

I lean across my sink staring into the misty mirror at myself. I’m greeted by my own face, water dripping down my cheek and my damp hair clinging to my head. I peer into the mirror, my eyes narrowed, staring at myself as if my life depends on it. As if my reflection has some answers that I don’t. Unfortunately it doesn’t. I don’t know why I’m surprised. My reflection has never had answers for me before.
I need to stop looking for them. Some people might think I’m vain to keep staring at myself in the mirror like I’ve done all day.
“You’re no help,” I snap.

message 6: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments This snippet is wonderful. And relatable. I tend to stare awkwardly at myself in the mirror when I'm stressed too XD

message 7: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "This snippet is wonderful. And relatable. I tend to stare awkwardly at myself in the mirror when I'm stressed too XD"

Thank you. Haha. That's good, I was trying to make Sadie relatable ;D

The Daydreamologist (thedaydreamologist) Nicki wrote: "To Catch A Falling Star wrote: "Nicki wrote: "So, this is what I'm going to be calling my Top Secret Project. It has a title, but that's a spoiler. It's a dystopian, but that's all I'll say about t..."
Sorry, I seem to have missed ' dystopian' from above😲😱.
Sadie sounds wonderful. I love how you're trying to make her relatable. It's nice to read about someone you feel that you can connect to, even in small, everyday things.

message 9: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments To Catch A Falling Star wrote: "Nicki wrote: "To Catch A Falling Star wrote: "Nicki wrote: "So, this is what I'm going to be calling my Top Secret Project. It has a title, but that's a spoiler. It's a dystopian, but that's all I'..."

Well, it's not your typical dystopian... but I shall zip my lips to keep from spouting off any spoilers ;P

She is. I didn't realize till I started writing how many similarities exist between us.

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 5/8/18- 1,029 words.

Here's an excerpt...

I inhale a deep breath telling myself that I don’t have time for a panic attack. That a panic attack could actually be the worst thing to happen to me right now. Somehow that doesn’t make me feel any better. And I still feel like I’m going to have a panic attack.
I can be so unreasonable sometimes.

message 11: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 5/15/18- 1,035 words.

Here's an excerpt...

C’mon, Sadie, it’s called walking. You just put one foot in front of the other and you move places. It’s really not that hard.

message 12: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Ahh, I love this...sounds like me, actually, when I have to get up in the morning XD

message 13: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Ahh, I love this...sounds like me, actually, when I have to get up in the morning XD"

Haha, for me the struggle is just to sit up out of my bed XD

message 14: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 5/23/18- 1,601 words.

message 15: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Noice!

The Daydreamologist (thedaydreamologist) Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Ahh, I love this...sounds like me, actually, when I have to get up in the morning XD"

Haha, for me the struggle is just to sit up out of my bed XD"

Does opening your eyes count? I sometimes find myself unable to manage even that

message 17: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments To Catch A Falling Star wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Ahh, I love this...sounds like me, actually, when I have to get up in the morning XD"

Haha, for me the struggle is just to sit up out of my bed XD"

Does o..."

Haha, it definitely counts. Half of my process of waking up is me blinking around my room for ten minutes just trying to keep my eyes open XD

message 18: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Faith/Florid Sword wrote: "Noice!"

Thanks!

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments You still working on this one?

message 20: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "You still working on this one?"

Yup! I'm working on it! Hope to get some written this afternoon if I can (right now I'm editing Winter Cursed). Just haven't had much time for this story this past week.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Well writing 10 stories at once isn't easy.... XD so dropping one for a moment is understandable!

message 22: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Well writing 10 stories at once isn't easy.... XD so dropping one for a moment is understandable!"

XD *cough* it's only five. Don't tempt me because I have probably five stories that still really want to be written ;P

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments lol ik.... I was just joking! Well then you'd probably get nothing done.... I'll just wait until you finish these five stories then suggest the 10 thing again! ;D

message 24: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 5/29/18- 699 words.

Wow, I don't think I've come across this kind of animosity felt by the heroine toward the hero since... well I don't even think Elisabeth disliked Cedric this badly.

Here's an excerpt...

He sits across from me. Never mind that it was the available seat, it still irks me. He stretches his legs out, crossing his ankles, which is really not necessary. Especially since his legs are so stupid long. You’d think I would be safe in a limo my size, but no he has to be at least six feet tall and with his legs stretched out his foot nearly touches mine.
I slide my feet under my seat despite the discomfort due to my heels.
Note to self: Get a bigger limo.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Haha.... nicki! Stop being so mean to your characters! Jk... XD XD Just....um.... make sure the hero and heroine don't attack each other...

message 26: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments SHINE wrote: "This is getting very interesting."

Thanks!

message 27: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Haha.... nicki! Stop being so mean to your characters! Jk... XD XD Just....um.... make sure the hero and heroine don't attack each other..."

Well really all the animosity is on her side, he's pretty laid back.

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments I see. ^.^ Laid back meaning he plainly tells her he will kiss her?

message 29: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "I see. ^.^ Laid back meaning he plainly tells her he will kiss her?"

Oh no, that's not this guy. Eugene is the one who said he would kiss Olivia- different story XD

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Oh no! *freaks out* I'm getting Nicki's stories mixed up!! This is bad.....

message 31: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments So... this is not quitting or giving up or anything. I'm hoping that this story will be the one I work on for Camp NaNo, but in order for that to happen, I've got to finish up some other stories (namely, A Certain Sort of Madness) so I'm going to be taking a break from this story until July :D

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments I can ( most definitely ) wait until then... for there are other stories I wish you to finish first..... *hint* *hint*

message 33: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "I can ( most definitely ) wait until then... for there are other stories I wish you to finish first..... *hint* *hint*"

XD Are you talking about A Winter Dark and Deadly, or my Sci-Fi story? (because if it's the latter, yes, any writing time I would have had for my Top Secret Project will go toward that this month ;P)

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments *squeals* YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! *screams* Oh.... so .... excited!!! *cough* ahem....

I'm talking about both, but the Sic-fiction more indefinitely...

message 35: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/1/18- 1,323 words.

Here's an excerpt...

Wilson releases a heavy sigh. “Whatever did I do to deserve having someone like you in my life?”
“Something really really great. Because I’m awesome.” Robbie waggles his eyebrows. “You’re welcome, by the way. For being in your life.”
I can’t tell if Wilson wants to laugh, cry, strangle Robbie, or do nothing all together. In other words, his face is pretty emotionless.

message 36: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/2/18- 1,732 words.

message 37: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/3/18- 2,128 words.

message 38: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments You're doing SO WELL MY GOODNESS.

message 39: by Lena, Mage (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) | 1268 comments Mod
Great progress, Nicki! :)

message 40: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "You're doing SO WELL MY GOODNESS."

Thanks! I'm glad that you think so :P

message 41: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Lena wrote: "Great progress, Nicki! :)"

Thanks so much! :)

message 42: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/4/18- 1,688 words.

message 43: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "7/4/18- 1,688 words."

*thumbs up*

message 44: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "7/4/18- 1,688 words."

*thumbs up*"

THANKS!!! Though I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to get done these next two days with me working to finish up college....

message 45: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "7/4/18- 1,688 words."

*thumbs up*"

THANKS!!! Though I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to get done these next two days with me working to finish up college...."

Totally understandable...but think of all the time you'll have once you're done with that! XD

message 46: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "7/4/18- 1,688 words."

*thumbs up*"

THANKS!!! Though I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to get done these next two days with me working to finish u..."

That's what I keep telling myself. All I have left is a final exam and a dialouge post. Except the final exam is seventy-five minutes long and I think I'm dreading the dialogue even more than the exam *cries*

message 47: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/5/18- 1,008 words.

So many spoilers, don't have time to find an excerpt free of them, but, ah... Sadie may or may not have just been proposed to.

message 48: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "7/5/18- 1,008 words.

So many spoilers, don't have time to find an excerpt free of them, but, ah... Sadie may or may not have just been proposed to."

....WELL THEN.

message 49: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "7/5/18- 1,008 words.

So many spoilers, don't have time to find an excerpt free of them, but, ah... Sadie may or may not have just been proposed to."

....WELL THEN."

Yup, it's pretty intense.

message 50: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/6/18- 2,222 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“There you are,” Wilson says, gruffly.
“Well hello to you too,” I reply as I stroll into my living room.
“Look, I don’t have much time. I’m just calling to tell you that I’ve arranged a date for you.”
I stub my toe and collapse into the chair. It had been my original destination, but I hate that we would have to meet like this. I hiss as I rub my toe. “What???”

« previous 1 3