The Language of Flowers The Language of Flowers question

WHAT Made This Such a Good Book?
Betsy Hetzel Betsy (last edited Sep 29, 2014 05:46AM ) Jul 28, 2014 11:45AM
I just finished THE LANGUAGE of FLOWERS, and not in a LONG, LONG while has a book touched by heart like this one. For those of you who have read it and been touched also, WHY did we have these strong emotional attachments to this book?

What touched you about Victoria? How did you feel about her relationship w/ Grant?

Very nice, perceptive comments below !

I loved the concept of the language of flowers. I think we put significance on a lot of things, and seeing communication that way was sweet.

Heather (last edited Oct 26, 2014 07:14PM ) Oct 26, 2014 07:11PM   0 votes
I think Diffenbaugh has a big heart for her characters. Which is probably the main reason I loved this novel so much. There is a lot of suffering in this book, especially for Victoria. But there are also moments of grace and hope throughout--for the characters and for readers. Most importantly in the end there is redemption. Victoria was hard for me to love for a long time. I loved Grant from the first moment he stepped into the novel. Victoria eventually won me over during the terrible, gut-wrenching scenes in which she finally decides to give her baby to Grant. So sad and beautiful. I was deeply moved by Victoria's plight and by the dignity the author gave to her--through presentation, prose, imagery, all of it.

I think because it was such a beautiful story, not a "happily ever after," but just a story that could be fiction or non fiction. It just touches your heart. This was an exceptional book!

I really felt the characters in this book and I also liked the authors writing style a lot. She revealed just enough about each character as the book went on to peak my interest. The meanings of the various flowers was also quite fascinating. Just a lovely book!

Annapoorni (last edited Oct 26, 2014 10:31PM ) Oct 26, 2014 10:30PM   0 votes
the first thing that intrigued me was the concept that flowers could be a medium of communication at such an indepth level. In India, where I am from, Flowers are meant,predominantly, for worship. Movies and books usually give such a cliched meaning to flowers. I loved the freshness of this book and its characters.
I was especially touched by the idealism with which Victoria sets out to be a mother. The turnabout is indeed a jolt; nevertheless a lesson that sometimes inspite of aspiring to be ideal, we may not be able to reach it. All we can do is be our best!

For me it was learning about the flowers and their meanings. I had never heard about a language of flowers before and I loved how the story unfolded like a flower blossoming :-)

Victoria found a passion that kept her steady and added to her good inate strength.

The whole concept "language of flowers" opened me up to a new level of communication that moves beyond plot and characterization. I read the book back when it first came out, but it has stayed with me. I love your post, Betsy, because I hadn't really contemplated the power of the book until you articulated the question! Thanks!