Paging All Bookworms! discussion

Chit Chat > Question of the Day - May 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2509 comments Mod
Thursday, May 3 - Share a favorite childhood memory with us, please ....

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited May 06, 2018 12:24PM) (new)

My brother and I loved to color and we could entertain ourselves for hours quietly coloring. Once we were staying at Grandma's and she noticed we weren't making any noise. Certain we were up to no good, she spent 10 minutes S L O W L Y sneaking up on us, avoiding all the squeaky spots in her hallway so as not to alert us. She was certain she would catch us in the midst of some mischief. All that care was for naught ... Mom had wisely sent along two new "jumbo" coloring books and a big box of crayons, and we were happily coloring away.

message 3: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments We lived on a farm until I was 12. My favorite memory is reading to the animals. I'm sure they loved it.

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 765 comments Mod
May 5, Saturday: Do you work out? If so, what's your favorite thing to do for a work out?

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

I have a bookmark that describes my "work out" .....
My only exercise is reading in bed until my arms get tired.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to join Silver Sneakers now that I've retired, but I just haven't gotten around to it ... yet

message 6: by Book Concierge (last edited May 07, 2018 06:47AM) (new)

Monday, May 7: It looks like it's finally Spring here ... and Summer may be round the corner. SO .... sandals or shoes?

I left Wisconsin on April 18 to drive down to Texas ... It was snowing in Wisconsin when I left. But I switched to sandals in Texas and I'm NOT going back to shoes! Not until sometime in October ...

Forecast for later this week is high of 56 with a low of 38, so I may rethink that decision ... for a day or two.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, May 7: It looks like it's finally Spring here ... and Summer may be round the corner. SO .... sandals or shoes?

Shoes..I hate my feet.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Leah wrote: "May 5, Saturday: Do you work out? If so, what's your favorite thing to do for a work out?"

I don't work out at a gym. I enjoy doing yard work and playing with my 9 year old outside.

message 9: by Leah (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, May 7: It looks like it's finally Spring here ... and Summer may be round the corner. SO .... sandals or shoes?

Here in Colorado it's still ranging from 40 degrees one day to 80 degrees the next - so what I wear depends on how Colorado decides to act for the day lol.

message 10: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "May 5, Saturday: Do you work out? If so, what's your favorite thing to do for a work out?"

I joined a fitness center not too long ago and go every night for a couple hours. It has an amazing daycare that my son loves. So even when I don't want to go, he begs we go. I can't deny him that. It's great motivation for me.

message 11: by Leah (new)

May 8, Tuesday: Have you ever broken a bone?

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Leah wrote: "May 8, Tuesday: Have you ever broken a bone?"

I've never broken a bone, but I have had both of my knees operated on.

message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "May 8, Tuesday: Have you ever broken a bone?"

I broke my finger when I was in college.

message 14: by Leah (new)

May 9, Wednesday: Have you ever travelled by train?

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Leah wrote: "May 9, Wednesday: Have you ever travelled by train?"

No, but it's on my bucket list.

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "May 5, Saturday: Do you work out? If so, what's your favorite thing to do for a work out?"

I go for walks or bike rides. That's about it.

message 17: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, May 7: It looks like it's finally Spring here ... and Summer may be round the corner. SO .... sandals or shoes?

I left Wisconsin on April 18 to drive down to Texas ... It was snowing in Wi..."

Mostly shoes.

message 18: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Melissa wrote: "Leah wrote: "May 8, Tuesday: Have you ever broken a bone?"

I've never broken a bone, but I have had both of my knees operated on."

Hairline fracture of my elbow when I fell off a bike. That's it.

message 19: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "May 9, Wednesday: Have you ever travelled by train?"

No, but I'd like to go on one of those tours by train.

message 20: by Leah (new)

May 11, Friday: Have you ever been in a natural disaster?

message 21: by Book Concierge (last edited May 11, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

Leah wrote: "May 9, Wednesday: Have you ever travelled by train?"

Yes ... a few times in Europe and once from Hong Kong to Guangzhou

As for the USA ... short trips to/from Chicago ... and a longer trip to Buffalo NY and later to Memphis TN. I think hubby and I will be taking the train at least part of the way to Texas over the Christmas holidays this year.

message 22: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Monday, May 7: It looks like it's finally Spring here ... and Summer may be round the corner. SO .... sandals or shoes?

Sandals. I'm tired of having my feet covered up.

message 23: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Leah wrote: "May 8, Tuesday: Have you ever broken a bone?"

Broken toe. Not much can be done except tape that toe to the next toe.

message 24: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Leah wrote: "May 11, Friday: Have you ever been in a natural disaster?"

No, fortunately.

message 25: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Leah wrote: "May 9, Wednesday: Have you ever travelled by train?"

Short tourist train excursions. I go by bus or fly if no one else is going.

message 26: by Leah (new)

May 14, Monday: Did you do anything for Mother's Day?

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Leah wrote: "May 14, Monday: Did you do anything for Mother's Day?"

Yep - laundry, dishes, paid bills, food shopping.

message 28: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "May 14, Monday: Did you do anything for Mother's Day?"

Nothing special. I'm not a mom ... and both my and my husband's mothers have passed on. I did visit my Mom's grave a couple of weeks ago when I was in Texas.

message 29: by Leah (new)

May 15, Tuesday: Do you tend to read one book at a time or multiple?

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Leah wrote: "May 15, Tuesday: Do you tend to read one book at a time or multiple?"

Multiple...1 at work and 1 at home. I try to make sure they are different genres.

message 31: by Leah (new)

May 16, Wednesday: Do you count audio books as a type of reading?

message 32: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Leah wrote: "May 15, Tuesday: Do you tend to read one book at a time or multiple?"

One at a time please.

message 33: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Leah wrote: "May 16, Wednesday: Do you count audio books as a type of reading?"

Yes.

message 34: by Leah (new)

Leah wrote: "May 15, Tuesday: Do you tend to read one book at a time or multiple?"

I usually have 3-4 different books going.

message 35: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "May 16, Wednesday: Do you count audio books as a type of reading?"

Yes. A book is a book.

message 36: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "May 11, Friday: Have you ever been in a natural disaster?"

No.

message 37: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "May 15, Tuesday: Do you tend to read one book at a time or multiple?"

Multiple, whatever genre I'm in the mood for that day.

message 38: by Leah (new)

May 17, Thursday: What is one of your favorite quotes?

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Leah wrote: "May 17, Thursday: What is one of your favorite quotes?"

"Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse." - James Dean

message 40: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "May 15, Tuesday: Do you tend to read one book at a time or multiple?"

I always am reading three books - one in Text format, one audio on my MP3 player, and a different audio in my car.

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "May 16, Wednesday: Do you count audio books as a type of reading?"

Absolutely.

message 42: by Book Concierge (new)

Leah wrote: "May 17, Thursday: What is one of your favorite quotes?"

I'm not a great fan of the book, but my favorite quote comes from Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude
"The world must really be f**ked up," he said, "when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

message 43: by Book Concierge (new)

Friday, May 18: What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?

It's a hard choice because I really love chocolate, but I think in the last couple of years my favorite flavor is COFFEE.

message 44: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Friday, May 18: What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?

Twist Frozen Custard from Rita's, Otherwise, Moose Tracks.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 855 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Friday, May 18: What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?

It's a hard choice because I really love chocolate, but I think in the last couple of years my favorite flavor is COFFEE."

I'm with you, BC. Coffee!

message 46: by Leah (new)

May 21, Monday: If you could paint a picture of any scenery you’ve seen before, what would you paint?

message 47: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Leah wrote: "May 21, Monday: If you could paint a picture of any scenery you’ve seen before, what would you paint?"

A barn in the country

message 48: by Leah (new)

May 23, Wednesday: If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 409 comments Leah wrote: "May 23, Wednesday: If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?"

Jo March from Little Women by Louisa Mae Alcott. She was independent and ambitious in a time where that was frowned upon for women.

message 50: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 668 comments Leah wrote: "May 17, Thursday: What is one of your favorite quotes?"

Maya Angelou: I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

« previous 1