Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Way of Shadows (Night Angel, #1)
This topic is about The Way of Shadows
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Way of Shadows [May 10, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
The Way of Shadows May 10th

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I requested it so obviously I'm in. :-)

message 3: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Timelord Iain | 17964 comments Mod
In

Choko (chokog) | 7715 comments in! Very much in!

Slick | 94 comments God Damn love this book

message 7: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments possibly, maybe if I bilocate

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Oooh! my favorite series! Not gonna read it, but I'm so here for the discussion!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Anyone else reading? I started this morning.

message 10: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I'm busy at the moment... I was already busy and kept adding things... so I'll be late to this...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Iain wrote: "I'm busy at the moment... I was already busy and kept adding things... so I'll be late to this..."

Story of my reading life :-) You go faster than me anyway so I'll keep at it. If I feel myself getting too far ahead I'll switch to the next book on my list.

message 12: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I'm not too worried, since the end of each month is a bit empty, it seems, at the moment... at least for me... always time to catch up... assuming I don't get mired in Malazan for too long... been so long since the last full-length novel, since we did the 3 KB&B short stories in March and April...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I tried reading this book early last year and I was not happy with what I was reading in the first few chapters maybe because I didn’t like how the characters acted or how they speak in the story and I don’t k ow it put me off but I’ll be interested to see what you guys think of it

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments 35% (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 7715 comments Just started it... Love it! I know, I am a Fantasy sap...:):):) All about the traditional orphaned boy theme:):):)

message 17: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I'm 40% in, I think, and love this book... don't always love what's happening to the characters, but I can't put it down for long...

@Diana: (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Iain wrote: "I'm 40% in, I think, and love this book... don't always love what's happening to the characters, but I can't put it down for long...

@Diana: [spoilers removed]"

Oh, I never expect anything in this book to be easy.

Anyway, I had to set this one aside for lighter Theft of Swords. That plus the fact that i get almost no reading done on the weekends means I made no additional progress. But I hope to get back to this one Monday.

message 19: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I'll be jumping into Theft of Swords right after this... probably at work, in the next few hours... I stopped around 55-60% to watch some iZombie and sleep...

message 20: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

The last third of the book just keeps getting better and better... so many revelations and culminations of events... the one I hit at 90% truly shocked me... (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Ah! You're making me excited to get back to it. :-)

Choko (chokog) | 7715 comments Iain wrote: "I'm 40% in, I think, and love this book... don't always love what's happening to the characters, but I can't put it down for long...

@Diana: [spoilers removed]"

I am loving it too! It is keeping me on my toes!!!

message 23: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I'm glad you started this Buddy Read... my favorite book in at least a couple weeks, that wasn't a re-read...

The surprises kept on coming to the end... (view spoiler)

The ending: (view spoiler)

idiffer | 765 comments Damn it, I missed this somehow. Will start soon.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments idiffer wrote: "Damn it, I missed this somehow. Will start soon."

You haven't missed it. I had to set it aside for other buddy reads and am only now getting back into it.

I'm at about 50%. I had to relisten to a few chapters since I couldn't remember where I had left off. I have to admit to not enjoying this as much as I wish I were. The premise was interesting, and I liked the set up, but plot points are overly convenient, some scenes are Soap Opera dramatized, and the writing is choppy and amateurish. This book is missing an experienced writer.

message 26: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited May 16, 2018 10:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm trying to contain my ranting about this book. I have so much to say and none of it positive. I'm sorry for recommending this buddy read.

message 27: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments I love a bit of controversy/ranting may I see it?? 😬😬😬😬😬😬

message 28: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

And here I'm glad you did :D ... ranting won't hurt my feelings...

message 29: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited May 16, 2018 10:07AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I hate this book so much that I already wrote my review and I'm only 60% in. It's long. I guess I had a lot to say. I don't think it's spoilery.

Here you go: (view spoiler)

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I hate this book so much that I already wrote my review and I'm only 60% in. It's long. I guess I had a lot to say. I don't think it's spoilery.

Here you go: I’m going to start this by saying tha..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetwork

Wetwork is a euphemism for assassination, because of the spilled blood... I understood the reference, even if the intepretation here is unfortunate :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Iain wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I hate this book so much that I already wrote my review and I'm only 60% in. It's long. I guess I had a lot to say. I don't think it's spoilery.

Here you go: I’m going ..."

Yeah, but there's a big different between wetwork and wetboy. No grown man should be calling himself boy.

message 32: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments It’s interesting that you liked the beginning Diana I hated it because it felt like the author was trying to prove how dark and edgy the book was with all this stuff and some of the dialogue and how the characters act in the first few chapters really annoyed me since I can’t imagine any other person say something like that at all

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Ahdam wrote: "It’s interesting that you liked the beginning Diana I hated it because it felt like the author was trying to prove how dark and edgy the book was with all this stuff and some of the dialogue and ho..."

I liked it because I thought I was going into an edgy story. After reading more of the book it now feels like the beginning was just there as clickbait.

message 34: by Slick (last edited May 16, 2018 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Slick | 94 comments It's true some people love this book and some people hate it. IIRC the author himself seems pretty apologetic about this series (It being his first series and all) but I liked it XD I especially liked the Magic System and the humour.

message 35: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I hate this book so much that I already wrote my review and I'm only 60% in. It's long. I guess I had a lot to say. I don't think it's spoilery.

I haven't liked this series or Lightbringer. I only read the prequel of this after reading Lightbringer and that was enough for me.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I might still continue the series. Def will try to read the Lightbringer series. I feel like this book suffers a lot from being a debut novel.

Choko (chokog) | 7715 comments I am about 30% in and I love it... No, it is not even close to the quality of the Lightbringer Series, but I think the author grows with every book he writes. This is his first and you can tell that, but I think he jas a great sense of storytelling and I tend to enjoy books of this type 😀... I am sure it is not everyone 's cup of tea though...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Choko wrote: "I am about 30% in and I love it... No, it is not even close to the quality of the Lightbringer Series, but I think the author grows with every book he writes. This is his first and you can tell tha..."

Around 50% it started losing me, fast. So let me know if you still enjoy it in 20-30% ;-)

Choko (chokog) | 7715 comments I will, D😀

message 40: by Mayim (new) - added it

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Well, I think it's official I won't make it this month (also Diana's rating is an ominous sign, we tend to agree when it comes to the number of stars).

idiffer | 765 comments The pov changes are too frequent + I couldn't care less about Gyre.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I hate this book so much that I already wrote my review and I'm only 60% in. It's long. I guess I had a lot to say. I don't think it's spoilery.

Wow, those are some harsh words! That said, I agree with a lot of it, and I imagine that the author would too. It's my favorite series, and I recommend it all the time, but yeah, it's got its fair share of problems.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments idiffer wrote: "The pov changes are too frequent + I couldn't care less about Gyre."

I think the pov shift rates in Night Angel are pretty common for epic fantasy novels like this book. Also, I'm kinda with you on Gyre, I kinda glossed over his chapters the first time I read through The way of Shadows, but please don't let that stop you from continuing the series, he gets a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT more interesting in book 2.

Also, book 2 and 3 are a looooooooooooooot better!

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments btw, anyone up contiung into book 2, because I'd LOVE to join you all for it.

message 45: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I'm in... I liked this more than others, it seems...

message 46: by MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) (last edited May 29, 2018 12:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Alright, then can you post in the "anyone interested in this" topic?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I hate this book so much that I already wrote my review and I'm only 60% in. It's long. I guess I had a lot to say. I don't think it's spoilery.

Here you go: I’m going ..."

I know he's apologized many times for this series. That should have been my first clue. When an author has to apologize for his books it's can't be good.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "idiffer wrote: "The pov changes are too frequent + I couldn't care less about Gyre."

I think the pov shift rates in Night Angel are pretty common for epic fantasy novels like this book. Also, I'm ..."

I didn't mind the POVs. I'll continue. I need to finish his books before his signing next year to feel good about myself.

MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) | 386 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "MorteTorment(Unofficial World's Fastest Reader) wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: I know he's apologized many times for this series. That should have been my first clue. When an author has to apologize for his books it's can't be good.

That is utter bunk.

Stephen King hates his won books, and tp this day he still doesn't understand why anyone would possibly want to read them.

My favorite game designer Chris Avellone thinks that every single game he's ever made has been an utter failure outside of Planescape Torment, including my favorite game, Fallout 2.

Yes, it's true that Night Angel has a lot of detractors, but that doesn't amke it objectively bad. A lot of us can look past its flaws because there's so much to love about it.

message 50: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new) - added it

I requested the Buddy Reads be added for June and July 10th...

« previous 1