UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Too many authors on Goodreads?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Okay, so I ought to declare an interest. I am an author and I joined Goodreads (partly) to promote my own books.

But...

Since joining, I've had a slight change of heart. I've really enjoyed those discussions that don't involve my own books, whether it's swapping innuendoes about sausages or yakking about a particular book review.

And I'm starting to get the impression that Goodreads could get spoiled if it become too much about authors pushing their latest book. This forum is one of the better ones, but some of the other forums I'm on seem to be mostly about people saying "Hey, buy my new book".

Which is all very well, but if that's all we say it could drive some or all of the readers away.

It's a bit like the business thingie LinkedIn. That started as a way for business people to keep in touch, but seems to have morphed into a tool for recruiters to do their head-hunting.

Is it just me thinking this way?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I hope we keep a balance in here. That's the aim, anyway.

Of course we want to hear about our author's books, but that's not ALL we want to hear about.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22035 comments A lot of groups have been well and truly screwed by too many authors screaming 'buy my book.'
Amazon had to create a special 'Meet our authors' Forum where they were allowed to do it, and where readers very rarely went.
(Mind you I think Amazon has abandoned its own forums, I suspect it regards Goodreads as the replacement.)

But individual forums on Goodreads are basically just authors selling to authors, and authors are frantically scrabbling round looking for other outlets,so they all sell to each other on twitter, and frantically make friends with each other on facebook so they can sell to each other there.

Here, there isn't the same pressure, firm moderation and our own good taste see to that. None of us would even dream of promoting our books outside our designated author threads.
Mind you, there ain't no Justice, 4.1 people in every ten don't believe us :-(

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Tsk

Moderation in here needs to be a firmer, I reckon.

message 5: by Jacquelynn (last edited Jul 28, 2014 10:55AM) (new)

Jacquelynn Luben (jackieluben) | 278 comments I very rarely come on here to promote my books - and usually I forget where my author page is and have to rack my brains to find it. However, sometimes I spot an interesting thread and like to add my two penneth to the discussion.

message 6: by David (last edited Jul 28, 2014 11:27AM) (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Can't believe Jim did that. Firmer moderation, Patti, I reckon you're correct, although I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

A good balance is struck in this group, where it becomes an interesting and entertaining place to be, one that is not full of imperfect strangers trying to just sell books.

That so many of us are here regularly shows that's not all we are here for.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9110 comments There are a few dropnruns here, but I just ignore them.

That'll show 'em.

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments It comes down to the moderators of those particular groups and how active they are.

Although anyone can start a group not everyone is capable of running one. The mods, bless 'em, in here are definitely more pro-active than the other groups I'm in but that's probably why I spend 98% of my time here.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You spend 2% of your time elsewhere?

Shame on you.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Rosemary (The Nosemanny) wrote: "There are a few dropnruns here, but I just ignore them.

That'll show 'em."

Deleting them is more satisfying. ;)

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I am one of many who use the site to find books and to review those I read. To that end, there can't be too many authors.
There's too little time but that's a separate issue.

message 12: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I think any drop and runs by authors on any forum ought to be automatically removed if they remain at 1 post only for say 2 months. But I suspect the site isn;t clever enough to do this

message 13: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments David wrote: "Can't believe Jim did that. Firmer moderation, Patti, I reckon you're correct, although I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

A good balance is struck in this group, where it becomes an interestin..."

I agree about the firmer moderation, David. Such posts should be Banned or sent Underground at least.

But this group works because the authors all talk about lots of other things, too, all the time.

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Spiderg1rl) (spiderg1rl) | 735 comments I'm far from feeling saturated with new authors right now. In fact this group has opened up a whole new world of books I don't know if I would have found easily without them and I've loved each and every one I've read.

I've not ventured too far out into Goodreads for fear of straying too far from the group however I can see how it could be an issue but as a reader I don't think we're there yet and I hope it's some time off.

message 15: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Just Wanted to add that they should be Hunted down.

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments You're all so clever ;)

message 17: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments It's not just within Goodreads groups that there's a surfeit of self-promoting authors. They are cropping up everywhere. Every popular website that allows visitors to join in discussions is plagued by them. On sites like Gardeners' World and River Cottage authors are dropping into threads to plug their books.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22035 comments I suspect it's only going to get worse. I did hear of someone creating a false ID so they could plug their book on Mumsnet

message 19: by Will (last edited Jul 29, 2014 12:10AM) (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments My only surprise there Jim, is the word 'someone'. I would have thought 'somethousand' might have been more accurate

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments When my lotto ticket comes up (!) I'll run a national advertising campaign, and let you know how it does. Meanwhile, like every other non-famous non-bestselling author with no available channels known to work, we have to plug however and wherever we can.

It's either that or death by obscurity.

message 21: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Tim wrote: "When my lotto ticket comes up (!) I'll run a national advertising campaign, and let you know how it does. Meanwhile, like every other non-famous non-bestselling author with no available channels kn..."

No it's that AND still death by obscurity

message 22: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22035 comments I think Marc has summed it up. I do wonder if some decide that they'd rather crash and burn in a blaze of spamming ignominy rather than just fade away

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments We don't delete much here but some drop and runs are so blatant we just zap them.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments WE????

;)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh, and interestingly, I've just been reading in one of my moderator groups that Goodreads is taking harsh steps to get rid of sock puppet accounts and blatant spamming.

message 26: by Michael Cargill (last edited Jul 29, 2014 07:16AM) (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments Word to that.

message 27: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22035 comments Be interesting to see who disappe

message 28: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Jim's internet has gone down again

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I've just thrown out all my socks.

message 30: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Thrown, or herded?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Well some of them were walking out on their own.

message 32: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Others, following like sheep?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Being dragged by the walkers.

message 34: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Painful.

Thats cruelty to socks

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22035 comments Probably more attractive than a horde of authors converging on a new forum :-(

message 37: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) I joined Goodreads because I'm an avid reader and author and I've not been sorry but you're right. There are too many groups where authors are doing the 'buy my' book but it's not just on goodreads. It's everywhere. I love Jim's comment 'probably more attractive than a horde of authors converging on a new forum.' Thankfully, most move on to another group and try again there.

message 38: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 389 comments I think Goodreads is the best site and has the most interesting discussions. I joined Facebook for my books but I can't see the point in it - it's just a big advertising site, can't seem to find a decent discussion there at all.

It's great for authors to be able to chat and exchange ideas here. I'm afraid I'm a bit guilty of self-promotion, but as Tim says, how else do you get your work out there? But to me, Goodreads is a great place to belong.

message 39: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments Jim wrote: "Probably more attractive than a horde of authors converging on a new forum :-("

There is absolutely no Justice 4.1 to the accusation that I am Jim's sock puppet.

message 40: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) Rita, I too will sometimes say something about one of my books on giveaways or freebies or looking for reviewers but rarely as I feel that as an author I don't have the money to buy everyone else's books and so I know they don't have the money to buy mine. I use other methods. Recently another author bought one of my books then wrote me to tell me and then said 'I bought yours so please reciprocate and we can review each other's.' Personally, I found that a bit manipulative and pushy and explained to the buyer how I work. It's a tough part of writing - the marketing and I keep hoping someone will find the right angle. I know I haven't yet.

message 41: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) David wrote: "Jim wrote: "Probably more attractive than a horde of authors converging on a new forum :-("

There is absolutely no Justice 4.1 to the accusation that I am Jim's sock puppet."

Does the sock puppet come free with the book? lol

message 42: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments Speaking of footwear, these look like a really bad idea!

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140729-motorised-roller-skates-for-real

message 43: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments David wrote: "Speaking of footwear, these look like a really bad idea!

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/201407..."

Sorry, can't see that from the UK :(

message 44: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments Tim wrote: "David wrote: "Speaking of footwear, these look like a really bad idea!

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/201407..."

Sorry, can't see that from the UK :("

Odd, indeed. Try searching BBC magazine for "BBC - Autos - Motorised roller skates, from cartoon to reality"? Maybe BBC is locking out UK users now? I know there's been some odd stuff under Cameron...

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I could see it no problem from Ireland.

message 46: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Nope. It's cos it's BBC Worldwide, which is available everywhere except the UK. Different funding - regular BBC is paid for out of the tv tax, but this isn't. The BBC is funny like that.

message 47: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments Tim wrote: "Nope. It's cos it's BBC Worldwide, which is available everywhere except the UK. Different funding - regular BBC is paid for out of the tv tax, but this isn't. The BBC is funny like that."

Well, I for one can understand the BBC not wanting to inform UK residents about rocket skates!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I get updates from a great site called BBC future that you lot in the UK can't see. :(

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22035 comments I've found facebook quite good for selling books, third only to Goodreads and blog tours
But I've made a point of trying to have facebook friends who are NOT writers. You know, like real people, genuine friends even.
I also make a point of mentioning other people's books that I think my friends might enjoy. For example, given that I've got a lot of friends who're grandparents, I've kept them in touch with Will's book Snort And Wobbles, especially when it came out in paperback

Similarly I've got friends who hire out motorhomes, drive a taxi or give driving lessons, so if they mention something they're doing, I share their stuff and give them a plug.
One hand washes the other, they'll like and share stuff about my books, and the joy of it is, I might be the only writer they're friends with, so they're recommending my book to a couple of hundred real people :-)

message 50: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments And I joined FB to continue my self-imposed task of promoting other people's books through reviews. Then I started writing. Well, it rubs off a bit.

I still like this place. If you want books you have to put up with authors. Tough, eh?

« previous 1