Our Shared Shelf discussion

May/Jun 18 The Hate/Radium Girls > The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - Reviews

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 21 comments #BlackLivesMatter A tribute to all who do not want to look the other way. Very. Very. Worth reading.

Emotionally written with attention to detail.

The helplessness and anger that the reader feels also accompany Starr. Apart from the grief, she is mainly scared. She wants to do the right thing, wants to give herself and the dead justice. But neither the state nor her environment make it easy for her.

I really enjoyed the book. Hearty and interesting characters and a good story.

Also a big compliment on the German translator – great job!

The book made me ask myself the question: How would I fight for my voice?

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
I recently just finished The Hate U Give. So I'll pull my review from there.
------

Powerful. A complex and emotional journey.

I also adore that this is young adult fiction. Thomas does not let age dictate the seriousness of her subject matter. Instead she trusts that her readers can understand the complexities of these real world issues.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 6 comments I read this book last June, here's my review:

This book is inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement and it’s absolutely amazing. This a topic that needs to be discussed more and I was so excited when I heard about this book! Every character had so much depth and was so complex and just real.

I liked the addition of Starr’s friend Hailey to the story, which to me, what she represented was really important. Even though she was very offensive, people like her do exist and the conversation that can hopefully come about from her character is necessary. Her inability to apologize for making racist jokes (even to realize why making racist jokes are not okay) shows how important awareness and education are.

"That’s the problem. We let people say stuff, and they say it so much that it becomes okay to them and normal for us. What’s the point of having a voice if you’re gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn’t be?”

The part where Hailey showed sympathy for the police officer reminded me of everyone who says “All Lives Matter” in response to “Black Lives Matter” without really knowing anything about the movement or trying to understand it.

“Are you serious right now?” Hailey asks. “What’s wrong with saying his life matters too?” “His life always matters more!” My voice is gruff, and my throat is tight. “That’s the problem!”

I wasn't completely sold on the chemistry between Chris and Starr but I did appreciate all of the conversations they had about race and social issues. I feel like everyone can learn something from reading this book and be more aware of the impact of their thoughts and actions. The part where Chris asks why black people don't have "normal" names was really thought provoking for me. (Why should one group of people get to determine the "normalcy" of all names when they vary across culture? Whats considered normal for one culture is considered different for another because all cultures are different- and that's okay).

I loved Starr’s family as well and the open dynamic that they have. Starr can talk to her parents about anything and she can always trust them to be honest with her. I loved her brothers Seven and Sekani as well as her parents and Uncle Carlos. I also appreciated the Harry Potter references which made me crack up.

Also, I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out fall of 2018- Amandla Stenberg has been cast as Starr :)

message 4: by Nadine (new)

Nadine ♥ (misshappyreading) | 21 comments Sarah wrote: "Also, I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out fall of 2018- Amandla Stenberg has been cast as Starr :)"

I'm looking forward to the movie too :)

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (emyvrooom) | 64 comments I just finished reading this book a few weeks ago and I am so excited to discuss all its layered goodness with you all as the weeks go by!

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: " Amandla Stenberg has been cast as Starr :)

She is amazing, so excited to see that Amandla was cast!

message 7: by Katie ♡ (new)

Katie ♡ (itskatiekoalafiednerd) | 10 comments This is my review for "The Hate U Give"

This book undoubtedly brings justice to the light, puts discrimination and racism to shame and shut down prejudices. You deserve my great admiration, Angie Thomas, and all the applause to you. Phenomenal work, indeed.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Sally (dd_sally) | 9 comments Sarah wrote: "Also, I can't wait to see the movie when it comes out fall of 2018- Amandla Stenberg has been cast as Starr :) "

I always think about Amandla Stenberg as Starr right before I knew they're making a movie of this. I'm looking forward to see the movie too :)

I just got to chapter six, so there's nothing much I can say at the moment. But as far as I can tell, this book is so powerful. The characters are deep and I feel like they're real. This is a good story with deep meaning.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited May 08, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

Hello everyone!

I finished "The Hate U give" a couple of days ago. At the beginning, it was difficult to immerse myself in the story but after 30 maybe 50 pages I had a hard time to stop my reading.

I really enjoy the deep immersion in the character's feelings. The relationship between the father and the mother. (view spoiler)

I felt anger at some point when some of the characters were so upset by the situation they were living. A lot of emotion from every single main character (Starr, the mother, Maverick, Seven etc...). This book has a striking approach of discrimination, racism, hate and the existence of two world.

The fact that Starr commute for school just like her brothers brings an interesting contrast between two worlds. Chris, (view spoiler) plays the naive role of the ignorant person who is sometime awkward, a bit hurtful but his desire to clear his ignorance make us want to forgive him.

I should not have favorite passages but here are a few extracts: (view spoiler)

Have a good day I go back to my readings!

message 10: by Britt (new)

Britt | 123 comments I absolutely loved this book! It's a very easy read (because YA, probably ?), but it's not a light read as I thought it was a very emotional and gripping narrative. I really felt Starr's anger, fright and frustration throughout the entire story. I'm glad we read this as it's probably not a book I would've chosen myself, and I would even recommend putting this on school reading lists, because I think the #BlackLivesMatter movement is very important.

message 11: by Héloïse (new)

Héloïse | 3 comments Hi! I just wanted to say that I loved this book and I wish everyone would read it. It was incredibly eye-opening for me ; how easy it is to forget that this violence is actually happening, that this is what life is like for way too many families. I appreciated the writing style, and the fact that the main character is a teenager makes it both easier to relate to her emotions and thoughts.
I really can't wait to watch the movie, the casting is amazing! Every actor is exactly like I had pictured while reading the book! Hopefully it will allow this story to reach an even wider audience.

message 12: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 3 comments very good! cant wait to see what else the author has in store for future books and looking forward to the movie as well.

message 13: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments I'm halfway through it and I love it already. The writing style is simple, yet complex and engaging. The plot is equally interesting as it's based on what's going on nowadays. It's quite interesting because it gives you a whole new perspective on the subject of racism, violence and social classes.

message 14: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 42 comments Wow, I don't know where to start on this review - it's such a culturally important book, especially in the United States. I was so shocked by the first two chapters, and could not put the book down. Starr's voice is completely hers, but also the voice of generations of African Americans.

One of the most important parts in the story to me was when the barber (can't think of his name and I've already passed the book on to a friend!) is out in the streets, saying that nothing anyone does to him can be worse than what he's endured over a lifetime of being black in America. It shows that while this story is a huge problem now, that it is not a new problem. However it gives hope to a new generation - that change is eminent.

This book made me cry, it made me laugh, and it made me want to get involved. It made me want to be a part of the change.

One of the other important parts of this book is when the friends are watching the father's interview - and how easy it was for privilege to distort the injustice in Kahlil's story. Starr's uncle even lost sight of the fact that Kahlil didn't deserve his fate.

I think this book, helped me, a white woman, start to understand the depth of pain that African Americans feel. I know I will never truly know that pain, recent and historical, but this book made me more aware.

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue I read this book earlier this year for another group here on GR.

I generally never pick up YA, but this really broke out of the YA stereotype for me.

This was a story truly torn from the headlines. I think it's our national shame that black people are essentially living like 2nd class citizens in their own country. A book like this makes that truth very accessible.

I'm thrilled that a movie is coming out. Can't wait to see.

message 16: by Rida (new)

Rida Imran  (ridaimran) | 22 comments The truth casts a shadow over the kitchen—people like us in situations like this become hashtags, but they rarely get justice. I think we all wait for that one time though, that one time when it ends right.

Maybe this can be it.

There are a few books that you remember for the rest of your of your life. This is one of them.

I did primary school from London. I honestly don't think I ever felt left out, there were people of every colour including mine. But there were a few kids that called people of my colour "freshies" but I didn't think it was such a big deal. Now that I think of of it, I find it weird that even kids in primary school used this word to discriminate people of my colour for our culture, accents etc.

I honestly can't say anything about this book that hasn't been said. But believe me this book is so worth the hype.

One of my favourite parts of this book was the family dynamics. Don't you just hate it when parents don't say much in YA books. This book has realistic parents.

This book is beautiful and everyone needs to read it

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 31 comments Rida wrote: " The truth casts a shadow over the kitchen—people like us in situations like this become hashtags, but they rarely get justice. I think we all wait for that one time though..."

I completely agree - everyone needs to read this book. I also agree that few books stay with forever, but this will be one of them.

I know what Starr's mom meant about deciding to keep people in your life. I've stepped back from so many people that I feel almost alone now. But, like Starr, I've realized I can't change who I am based on who I'm aound. It's exhausting. It only took me about 20 more years than Starr.

My personal concern right now is I've started thinking about people I know and wondering what character they would be like. Chris, Maya, Starr, Hailey, Seven... And I feel guilty doing it, because I know by putting them into these categories, I'm judging them. And one of the biggest lessons I'm trying to learn from this book club is not to judge others. But sometimes it's so hard, especially when it's people like Hailey. People who don't realize how they're wrong, and no matter how you try to explain, they'll never really understand.

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 13 comments This book changed my life. It was incredible, and I seriously recommend reading it. Seriously.

message 19: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 7 comments I was reading through the reviews of the book and one of them pointed out that this book was banned in a city in Texas. I'm not sure how you ban a book in a city. Is it banned in libraries or in schools, or how that works? Are bookstores in the city banned from selling it? Anyway, the fact that someone decided to ban this book gives it weight.

I have to admit that I didn't like the writing style. It was too simple. But it was an emotional book, nonetheless. That behaviour on the part of the police is so easy to recognize for minorities of every country.

message 20: by Kimia (new)

Kimia (kimiasb) | 13 comments I reaaally love this book. I read it near the end of 2017 and I remember staring at it for half an hour after I finished it because it left me thinking about everything that is happening in the world. Angie Thomas is a genius for being able to describe these issues so graphically that even I, to whom all of it is so distant and unfamiliar, can experience them in such a personal way.

message 21: by Pr0tessa (new)

Pr0tessa | 2 comments I'm in the middle of the book and I'm fascinated by how it describes the world of Starr, where she lives, how she interacts with her friends and family, what do they do, what do they feel when things happen - this side is really powerful and I've read nothing like this before...

However the YA storytelling style (like analyzing in every detail all highscool discussion) is quite difficult for me to follow...

message 22: by Allie (new)

Allie | 3 comments ** Spoilers**

This is probably the best YA novel I have ever read. I had tears in my eyes from the first chapter until I closed the book.

Angie Thomas did an incredible job tackling issues that demand to be talked about. First and foremost, the killing of unarmed black people by police officers and the systematic racism of the justice system in general. She also addresses gang violence, drugs, prison and how it affects black communities. These are issues that must be talked about.

Not only did she dive into these important issues, but she also wrote a story so compelling it was hard to put down. These characters really came to life.

I felt proud reading as Starr came into her own (when she finally stuck up to Hailey, gave her interview, and threw that canister of tear gas). I felt the humiliation and anger when those cops harassed Big Mav. I felt the shock and horror Starr's parents must have felt when she confessed the officer had had his gun on her while he waited for backup. I felt the red hot anger when Starr, Vante, and Seven found out that the officer would go free despite murdering their friend.

These characters and this story force you to think about how these stories are really not fiction at all. You're forced to think about all the UNARMED POC murdered by officers, or the black men humiliated and harassed by racist cops, the kids forced into lives of gang violence and drugs. You're forced to think about how many children grow up with fathers in prison, or how many kids witness their friends killed. You think about how many mothers lose their sons.

This book was eye opening, heart breaking, funny and inspiring. It's one of those books that will stay with me forever. I can't wait to see the movie and I can't wait to read more from this incredible author.

message 23: by Addie Grace (new)

Addie Grace (addiegrace) | 1 comments This book did a great job of shedding light on a topic with a very prominent taboo in a sensitive but meaningful way.

message 24: by Kathleen Ann (new)

Kathleen Ann (tatscruz) | 1 comments The last book I read that had a powerful impact on me was The Nightingale...and then I read The Hate U Give. It’s truly one of my favourites now. it touches on very important topics without making it less entertaining and being too heavy to read. Actually I find myself missing all the characters soon after I finished reading it.

message 25: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie amazing novel! I read earlier this year & here's my GR review:

"Such an important novel during the current focus of #blacklivesmatter and growing awareness white privilege. Very glad I read it and will read more by the talented Angie Thomas - she's telling stories from a perspective that must continue to be shared. Billed as a YA novel, I disagree and feel it should be presented to a broader audience and hope it's not overlooked based on the YA categorization. Loved the theme that your voice is your most important & powerful weapon."

message 26: by Tati (new)

Tati Oliveira (tati_oliveira) | 4 comments This is such a amazing book! I just finished and I don’t know how to describe what I’m felling.
Everybody should read it!

I start it yesterday saying I would read 100 pages and stop because I had to work. when I realized it was almost 11pm, I had read it 230 pages and I still had to work :p

message 27: by Kate (new)

Kate (katetakate) | 96 comments My GR review:
While it’s written in the YA (Young Adult) genre - it’s one of those books that transcends age boundaries. Along with the overarching incident that ties into the #BlackLivesMatter movement, and the perceptions and issues surrounding it, it gives an honest and relatable voice (drawing in readers who can and cannot imagine those experiences). Also the main character, a teenage black girl’s everyday experiences of navigating between the relationships within a poor, black world at home and a privileged white world at school, and her necessity to constantly “code-switch” – changing her speech and behaviour in an attempt to avoid being the token “ghetto black girl”, or another powerful stereotype: the “angry black woman is equally poignant and gave me food for thought. Heartfelt, deep, powerful, heartbreaking yet also amusing as the author’s main character has wonderful wit and attitude to work through challenging times.
Recommend it - was also an enjoyable well narrated Audio book, loved hearing the characters come to life!

message 28: by Jade Bookworm (new)

Jade Bookworm | 3 comments I have to admit that I was reluctant to give this a go as I find ‘Young Adult’ fiction very hit and miss and often too simplistic. However, this was a moving and compelling book which I read in a day and a half because I couldn’t put it down. The characters were well-rounded and interesting and it offers a frightening and important insight into both what it means to live in a poor black neighbourhood and the Black Lives Matter campaign. It’s a novel we can all learn something from – even just the point that what is considered the ‘norm’ – e.g. regarding children’s names – is usually the ‘white (middle class)’ norm. It would be patronising to say that I could put myself in Starr’s shoes in any sense but it certainly taught me something – particularly Hailey’s ‘racist without realising it’ character – and I was grateful to learn it.

message 29: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 35 comments Just finished this book and have written a detailed review under the book details on Goodreads. I agree with everyone so far, in such that the book needs to be read, because it is based on real events and we need to acknowledge this and make our voices heard. The book got me thinking in many parts- I felt like I might have been a Hailey to some of my friends too, who are a part of a separate minority group in India, and I feel awful about myself now.

But it was difficult for me to read the book, because of the language used. Also, I don't support violence of any kind, unless it is for self defense, so that bit about the riots in the end was something I didn't want to read about in a fiction book.

message 30: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 89 comments At the end of the book, I think another important point the book makes is that it takes the entire community to combat gang violence.

message 31: by Bia (new)

Bia Martins | 8 comments I loved the book from top to bottom: the writing is very expressive and simple (in a good way), and the whole family dynamics is adorable. It brings to the table very important issues and when I finished I just thought it was a great story.

Then, it hit me: is not exactly a work of fiction. Starr may not be real but her struggle and all the crap she and her family and friends went through are. This just broke my heart.

Is not like I don't know this type of things happen (a lot), but I think it's great that books like this one makes such a huge success and it gets to a lot of people's minds. I can reasonably tell you that my life is nothing like Starr's but somehow I could just connect with her. Just amazing.

The reader gets to know Starr and follows her path while she becomes more herself around everyone. The part close to the end when they all get together and the world doesn't explode (Starr's expression) is great.

Ultimately, I think it's a YA book that should reach people from all age groups. The message is so important and at the same time I gave some big laughs while reading it. It's the whole package really.

message 32: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 1 comments This book helped me, as a white woman, connect with the anger and pain of the African American community that is behind the Black Lives Matter movement. Because Starr is such a relatable character, I was able to take on everything she was feeling as if the events happening to her were happening to me as well. I think there are very few things that can give white people as powerful of an immersion into the black experience as this book gave me, and I am grateful for the opportunity to gain some understanding of an experience so different from my own.
I can relate to Starr’s feelings about how she acts differently in her two different worlds. I don’t experience the uniquely racial qualities of this, of course, but I find myself presenting different versions of myself depending on who I’m around. I can count on one hand the number of people I feel completely myself around, and that’s something I’m really struggling with. It’s hard to feel like the people around you won’t accept you for the real you, and to add on to that the layer of one group thinking you’re “too black” and the other thinking you’re “too white” is a hard, but important, level of Starr’s experience that I appreciate the author emphasizing.
I appreciate Starr’s relatability - it highlights the fact that we all, as human beings, experience much of the same feelings and issues, often on different levels and in different intensities, but our common experience as feeling humans gives us all that capacity for empathy for one another. I am grateful to Angie Thomas for giving people the opportunity to see the world through Starr’s eyes, even if their experience is completely different from hers. I think this is an important book for people of all ages and races to read.

message 33: by Katriann (last edited Jun 20, 2018 08:37PM) (new)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 13 comments I'm halfway through this book and so far I love it. I agree with Brianna that this is a great book for people to read, no matter what their age or race is. As a white woman from Finland I can't say I know how it is to live the kind of life Starr and her family live. I have studied American politics, culture, and history at university but it's different learning about these things through a literary character. I think it is important to understand the motives behind movements such as Black Lives Matter even if it's just partial understanding because I haven't experienced things first hand. I think Angie Thomas has done an amazing job spreading knowledge and educating people with her book.

message 34: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniderp) | 3 comments A Must Read!

Starr Carter develops beautifully into our hero as the book gets deeper. A good portion of the book is dedicated to her finding her voice amongst the social injustice and racism that occurs in both her neighborhood and in her school. Her character is relatable where when we are presented with a situation, it's easy to say what we should do until we are placed in it. As supportive as her family and friends were, she was truly alone in both instances since she was the only witness to both murders. Angie Thomas did an amazing job developing her character as well as the supporting characters.Between Maverick's speech to Starr about the "thug life" and finding out the reason for Khalil's involvment with the King Lords, this story really left an unforgettable impression.

Do not pass up the opportunity to read this book. Even though Starr's voice is the main one, each character voice is just as important and relatable.

message 35: by Elyse (last edited Jul 02, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) I finished last night. Wow. I loved it. It was amazing! And very powerful.

Here's my review:
This book. Wow. I've had it checked out from the library since May 2 and I've been renewing it online every 2 weeks since then! I *finally* picked it up last weekend and I blew through it. My eyes couldn't stop devouring. It was so good. So real. So heartbreaking and infuriating. I loved it. It was hard to read and it was insightful.

I will never know what it is to be a black person, or any minority, in America but I will stand up for what is right. And it is not right that in real life, innocent black people are being shot and killed for no reason. People who joke or make light of the Black Lives Matter movement just don't get it. Spouting Blue Lives Matter or All Lives Matter, well no shit but we KNOW that. What we seem to be forgetting is that black lives are part of ALL lives so we need to draw focus and attention to their worth. Because they have worth. They are not being seen the way they should be, as regular people. They aren't all gangbangers or drug users or drug dealers. Guess what, white people are all those things too and they're not getting shot dead all the time. This book highlights all that and more and it's a beautiful way of doing it.

One of my peeves that I've been seeing on The Great American Read FB group is that people are spelling 'You' instead of 'U' in the title. If the person has read it and does that, oh boy you have completely missed the point of the title then and that is sad. If someone does it and hasn't read it, they just don't understand the significance yet but c'mon, she's not doing it to write in text or teen speak. Type or write the title as it is please! There's a reason!!!!

I read a physical library copy and ended up "highlighting" (not literally, but typing them in my Notes on my phone) about 11 quotes that really stood out to me:

"The Hate U-the letter U- Give Little Infants F***s Everybody. T-H-U-G L-I-F-E. Meaning what society gives us as youth, it bites them in the ass when we wild out. Get it?"

"Sometimes you can do everything right and things will still go wrong. The key is to never stop doing right."

"This is bigger than me and Khalil though. This is about Us, with a capital U; everybody who looks like us, feels like us, and is experiencing this pain with us despite not knowing me or Khalil."

"Daddy once told me there's a rage passed down to every black man from his ancestors, born the moment they couldn't stop the slave masters from hurting their families. Daddy also said there's nothing more dangerous than when that rage is activated."

"We let people say stuff, and they say it so much that it becomes okay to them and normal for us what's the point of having a voice if you're gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn't be?"

"And at the end of the day, you don't kill someone for opening a car door. If you do, you shouldn't be a cop."

"There's that word again. Bravery. Brave peoples' legs don't shake. Brave people don't feel like puking. Brave people sure don't have to remind themselves how to breathe if they think about that night too hard. If bravery is a medical condition, everybody's misdiagnosed me."
"Brave doesn't mean you're not scared, Start. It means you go on even though you're scared. And you're doing that."

"When you fight, you put yourself out there, not caring who you hurt or if you'll get hurt."

"I'd ask him if he wished he shot me too."

"People around here don't have much, but they help each other out as best they can. It's this strange, dysfunctional-as-hell family, but it's still a family."

"The un-brave part of me, which feels like most of me, shouts no. It wants to crawl up in a corner and act as if none of this ever happened. But all those people outside are praying for me. My parents are watching me. Khalil needs me. I straighten up and allow the tiny brave part of me to speak."

message 36: by Sara (last edited Jul 27, 2018 10:11AM) (new)

Sara Ghislandi | 2 comments This story is important.
It’s hard to sum up what I felt while reading this novel, but I can tell it felt real. Details and descriptions are so clear that I could distinctly see every scene and character, like they were real. Until I realized that, somewhere, they are. Their lives are stories, but not fiction. This is why this book is important.

message 37: by Debbie (last edited Aug 02, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

Debbie (readbydeb) | 5 comments The Hate U Give is incredibly poignant, honest and unforgettable. It is, without a doubt, one of--if not the most--powerful books I have ever read, and is absolutely a must-read. This book is so important; it tackles difficult issues without feeling biased or making sweeping generalizations, and does so in an approachable yet sophisticated manner.

The Hate U Give is incredibly well-written, with fantastic and realistic character development and perfect pacing. The storytelling was done so well that I was able to become fully immersed in the story to the point where I was able to emotionally connect with this book on a deep level, despite not having personal experience with the topics addressed in the book. I cried; I laughed out loud; I felt physically shocked or angry. It's been awhile since a book took such a strong hold on my emotions.

Also, the audiobook is absolutely fabulous and I would highly recommend experiencing this book in audio format at least once.

message 38: by Bia (new)

Bia Martins | 8 comments Hi everyone!

Not exactly a review, but the trailer of the movie version is already available and it's amazing..
Take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MM8O...

:)

message 39: by Chong (new)

Chong Yeoh | 5 comments Looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I haven't read the book yet, but I will. 😜

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I couldn't get past chapter 6. This book was SOOOO boring! Why did we need 5 pages about a 3 on 3 basketball game???

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane | 3 comments Kathy wrote: "I couldn't get past chapter 6. This book was SOOOO boring! Why did we need 5 pages about a 3 on 3 basketball game???"

The audiobook was excellent. Not boring at all.

message 42: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 149 comments Book: The Hate U Give
Author: Angie Thomas
Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars

I will admit that I have been putting off reading this one for awhile. It was one of the biggest books of 2017, but I went the Wonder route instead. I got this for myself as an early Christmas present. Not only because my library doesn’t have it, but it was an Our Shared Shelf Book. Now, don’t get me wrong, Emma does have good tastes, but sometimes overhyped books end up being a major fail for me.

I really did enjoy this one. I honestly cannot remember the last time I read a book of this length in two days. I started it on the twenty-third and finished it by Christmas Eve. This is one of those books that truly does pull you in and make you think. Is it really anything different? No, but I like that this is written for young adults and it is about current issues. A lot of times issues are presented in a way that young people may not understand, but Angie takes an issue and puts it into context. Now, Our Shared Shelf has read another book that is kind of along the same lines as The Hate U Give: Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race. To me, The Hate U Give has more of an impact. The Hate U Give actually throws you into the world whereas Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race doesn’t. The Hate U Give is about power, while the other book just didn’t come across like that for me.

Starr is a very engaging and captivating character. She is caught between two worlds, which I think a lot of people can relate to. She lives in what she calls “the ghetto.” Her neigbourhood is not the nicest places to live, but there is a sense of community. She goes to school where it seems like everyone is rich. She finds herself torn between these two worlds, but does not want them to meet. I know a lot of people complain about this, but come on, think about when you were sixteen. Did you really like it when your home life and school life collided? I also liked her reaction to the shooting. It was very fitting and I like how she wanted to change things, but, yet, was almost afraid to use her voice. I really liked seeing this struggle with her; it made her seem all that much more real.

For me, it really wasn’t the characters that made this book. It was the emotional charge that made me really question everything. Yes, it is an enjoyable read, but it is one that makes you think. I know a lot of schools are using this as a novel study and I think it would be a great one. Sadly, my school has actually banned this book from our reading list, which I don’t get. This is a book that everyone needs to read and it’s not right to ban such an important book. (Just saying that as a teacher…)

One thing, I’m not sure about is how this would look on the screen. I haven’t seen the movie and after reading the book, I just don’t know how it would look. You see, there are some books that I really that shouldn’t be made into shows and movies and this may have been one of them. I don’t know…I’ll keep you posted.

message 43: by Kate (new)

Kate (katydidread) | 4 comments Late to the game here but I thought The Hate U Give was really well done. I listened to the audiobook version and, as usual, Bahni Turpin was an amazing narrator. I hope the movie does the book justice!

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Lovegreen (lynn_lovegreen) Angie Thomas had positive things to say about the movie, so that's a good sign.

message 45: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 5 comments I read this in 2018. Here is my review (no spoiler)

Buddy Read with Erin Young.

I guess we all hoped for justice but in a realistic world, the brutal world that we live in, it's hardly achieved so easily. The Hate U Give voices so many questions, so many wrongs. It asks and asks and it tells and tells. I think everyone should read this book to really understand what I'm trying to say here. Why are we so small minded to favour one over another over something that's in no one's hand? The majority, the one usually in power oppresses and is at the same time scared of the minority. While the minority also develops hatred and fear of the majority. Black and White. Something not even in our hand, something so natural and yet feels so wrong and offensive to some of us. Why is that? No one is born with this hatred, we are taught this. It's embarrassing to know this is the 21st Century we're so seemingly proud of.
And it's not just about skin color, Nah-Uh. This racism, this discrimination is almost everywhere. Based on money, status, religion, country and what not. It won't stop on it's own. People need to speak up. We need to speak up. But we're all too afraid to be the first to voice our opinions fearing what'll happen to us and so we wait. We wait for someone else to take the initial step. It's not easy and it never will be but once we decide to be united against it, we'll be surprised to find that majority of the people in this world are against all this shit. That it's only a few people with power and fear who are controlling the others.

There isn't enough that could be said here. So, just go ahead and read it!

I hope one day, we are above this. I hope one day we be free of this disease.