The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

General Chat > Question About Goodreads and Finding "Stuff"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cora (new)

Cora Foerstner (corafoerstner) | 45 comments I signed up for Goodreads a couple years ago, found it overwhelming, and stayed away until a few months ago.

I love the active discussions, but I still have that overwhelmed feeling. My biggest problem is that it's hard for me to keep track of everything. I find a discussion thread I'm interested in, and then can't find it again.

Lame, I know, but I was wondering if there is a guide or reference that could help me out?

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 117 comments Cora, the Goodreads help section can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/help. I took a very quick glance and did not immediately see a topic which responds to your precise question, but I'll tell you what has worked for me.

I joined a few groups which seemed to read the types of books I like and to have interesting discussions. Once you join a group, you can "follow" all, or some, of the discussions for that group. At the bottom of the page, you will see a grayed-out statement: for example, "You are following all discussions for this group (notify only)." The "notify only" parenthetical indicates that I have chosen to get a notification on Goodreads itself when there has been a new post to a discussion I'm following; however, there is an edit button next to the statement which allows you to select other options: digest, individual e-mail, e-mail all, notification only, or none.

I agree that all of the choices on Goodreads can get a little overwhelming, but you've made a good start by joining the Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions; I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll try to help.

message 3: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Hi Cora... I know what you mean. I joined GR when it was still pretty small and I have learned to keep up as it has grown, but it can get confusing sometimes.

One question. Are you on a computer or on the phone app? I find I can't find anything on the phone app... I was even using a tablet, so pretty big, but it was hopeless. Now when I use the tablet I use the web connection, not the app, and find I have the best results with the computer.

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora Foerstner (corafoerstner) | 45 comments Deborah and Hayes, thanks.

Deborah, I didn't notice that I could edit how I followed the discussions. I'm still learning my way around.

And, Hayes, I was trying to access everything from my iPad, which I stopped doing very recently.

There are so many good discussions that I'm like a kid in a candy shop and can't choose because I want to try everything, which might be part of my problem.

message 5: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8557 comments Mod
Cora wrote: "Deborah and Hayes, thanks.

Deborah, I didn't notice that I could edit how I followed the discussions. I'm still learning my way around.

And, Hayes, I was trying to access everything from my iPa..."

Just try everything until you find a discussion where you feel at home. That's what I did and it works!

message 6: by Cora (new)

Cora Foerstner (corafoerstner) | 45 comments Thanks for the tip, Nancy. Sounds like a plan.

message 7: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8557 comments Mod
any time at all. I love being helpful.