2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

All the Light We Cannot See
This topic is about All the Light We Cannot See
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > All the Light We Cannot See

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited May 09, 2018 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Anthony Doerr‘s book, All the Light We Cannot See.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Julia, Allie, Kaylee, EIrelyn, Kristin, Aqsa, Randy, Alexxy, Susy

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 133
Week 2: 133
Week 3: 133
Week 4: 133

message 3: by Eirelyn (new) - added it

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Thanks, Mary Pat!

I am waiting for my copy of this to come in. :)

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments Oh gosh, I hope I have time for this. It looks so long! Here's to hoping *crosses fingers*

message 5: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I have this book for another Buddy Read, so I'd love to discuss it here too when I read it!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I hope you don't mind if I jump in the discussion too. I will be reading this one in May although I'm getting a late start and won't begin reading it until Sunday.

message 7: by Eirelyn (new) - added it

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments My copy just came in this morning, so I hope to start within the next couple/few days. :D

message 8: by Alexxy (new) - added it

Alexxy | 271 comments Hello, can I join this BR too?

message 9: by Allie (new)

Allie | 307 comments Of course!

I started the audio of it today. 😴😴😴 Man, the narrator is lifeless!

message 10: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) Read 1 page yesterday evening. Reading it in PDF is really straining my eyes....

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Kristin, Aqsa, Randy, Alexxy, Susy - I have added you to the list of participants!

message 12: by Maggs1 (new)

Maggs1 | 3 comments I've just ordered my copy for Kindle. I'm anxious to read it. I'll get started tonight!

message 13: by Maggs1 (new)

Maggs1 | 3 comments I meant to ask if I can join in the BR at this point. If so, how do I post?

message 14: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) Maggs1 wrote: "I meant to ask if I can join in the BR at this point. If so, how do I post?"

Of course, the more the merrier Maggs! You just post your ideas, questions etc about the book like you posted this message. Just remember to mark spoilers!

message 15: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Kristin, Aqsa, Randy, Alexxy, Susy - I have added you to the list of participants!"

Okay :)
I'll join in soon :)

message 16: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) Liking it so far: the alternating stories of Werner and M-L, going back and forth between 1933 and 1944, it really gives it an extra dimension. Also getting to know their stories from when they were little really helps growing a connection with them. I know nothing about the book (except from it being about 2 kids/youngsters during WWII) so really wondering where it is going (view spoiler).

How is everybody else doing?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments I got started late so I'm running behind, not even at page 100 yet. I like the author's writing style, the characters are well developed and the story is picking up. I'm going to double up on my "10 pages a night" pace so I can finish this one by the end of the month.

message 18: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) After a good start, I'm having a bit of trouble keeping focused. It's not that I really dislike it, but it doesn't hold my attention. Hoping it will pick up.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1100 comments Well, I'm almost halfway through but I'm not going to finish this one by the end of May. I just have too much other reading going on as well as other unfortunate distractions (work, life, that kind of stuff). But I really like this one so far. The writing is terrific - I'm also reading Middlesex for the group read and this is the first time I've read two Pulitzer Prize winners at the same time. Just impeccable prose in both.

message 20: by Aqsa (new) - added it

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I'm sorry-I couldn't read much of anything this month bcz of a busy schedule and exams by June!
Hope it's okay if I contribute in somewhere in June?

message 21: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) I definitely don’t hate this book. But I’m not in love with it either. I liked it but not as much as I thought I would. I don't know exactly why. Maybe my expectations were too high after reading all the ravishing reviews. Or maybe it was the writing. I don't know. I just know that my mind kept wandering of and it took me too long to read it. Although the characters were interesting and likable enough, I didn't feel a connection like I did with The Nightingale for example. Same goes for the Sea of Flames, interesting but not worked out enough, to my liking in any case. Still glad I read it though.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

All the Light We Cannot See (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anthony Doerr (other topics)