Mental Health Bookclub discussion

2018 Group Reads - MH Fiction > May Fiction re OCD - Turtles All the Way Down

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ean (new)

Ean OK I am super excited for this month's fiction read Turtles All the Way Down by John Green!!

Now just so ya know numerous reviews on this book cite Trigger Warnings for OCD and Anxiety so take it easy folks and don't go down that rabbit hole!

Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis.

Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.

In his long-awaited return, John Green, the acclaimed, award-winning author of Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars, shares Aza’s story with shattering, unflinching clarity in this brilliant novel of love, resilience, and the power of lifelong friendship

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Just placed this book on hold with the library.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I picked up the book yesterday from the library. Hopefully, start soon.

message 4: by Di (new)

Di | 391 comments Mod
I haven't picked up John Green before because I had many prejudices. I thought he was fluffy and usual disappointing young adult writer, where romance is ridiculous and with abundant plotholes. The movie The Fault in Our Stars didn't help much, as I really didn't like main characters love interest and in general, I felt it was a ripoff of A Walk to Remember (2002).
But as our moderator chose John Green for our monthly topic of OCD I decided to give it a try.
And oh boy.
OMG.
This book is my five-star read and my new favorite. He describes effortlessly how anxiety makes you feel.

But the really scary thing is not turning and turning in the widening gyre; it’s turning and turning in the tightening gyre. It’s getting sucked into a whirlpool that shrinks and shrinks and shrinks your world until you’re just spinning without moving, stuck inside a prison cell that is exactly the size of you, until eventually you realize that you’re not actually in a prison cell. You are the prison cell.”

I have many more notes. Actually, I have 9 pages of them. I feel like this book could be my soulmate.
I giggled with this book like a schoolgirl.

The whole problem with boys is that ninety-nine percent of them are, like, okay. If you could dress and hygiene them properly, and make them stand up straight and listen to you and not be dumbasses, they’d be totally acceptable.”

I finally felt like I wasn't alone on some of my quirks.

He motioned for me to sit down, and put his arm around me. I didn’t want his microbiota near me, but I let him keep his arm there because I didn’t want to seem like a freak.

This book knows the misery of mental illness.

Thoughts are just a different kind of bacteria, colonizing you.

I really never thought about it like that. But its so fitting and so true.

I still consider main character's love interest bit of a unicorn: rich, smart, not behaving like an asshole, reads poetry, writes poetry, likes astronomy but is not a nerd... However, the romance in this book was handled delicately and didn't have any instalove or " I-will-take-a-bullet-for-you, we-are-meant-to-be, we-will-marry, we-will-stay together-forever" characters. And I'm grateful for that.

Thank you, Ian, for choosing this book. ❤

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I am almost done with this book.

Hugsie All🤗🎗

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I am not feeling the love with this book. I have been dragging in this book. Hopefully, I finish today.

message 7: by RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (last edited May 30, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments I gave up on the book. I try the book in the future again. Sorry for the late status. Damn. Need to get June done. 🤦‍♀️Mahalo Di

message 8: by Ean (new)

Ean Hugs to you too dear! I hope that you are getting along well.

message 9: by Ean (last edited May 31, 2018 08:19PM) (new)

Ean Di, thank you for the great post! I enjoyed the book as well. However I will say that this was the first book to ever trigger my phobic fear of sinkholes. Odd yes, but I think it was the wording and references to gyres, whirlpools, circles, and galaxies that made my mind go there.
It was a good book but I'm glad it's over!

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsashleychristine) I don't have OCD, but I have anxiety, and I related to so many aspects of the book like how to deal with your family when you have a mental illness. This book is so encouraging.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 543 comments Ashley wrote: "I don't have OCD, but I have anxiety, and I related to so many aspects of the book like how to deal with your family when you have a mental illness. This book is so encouraging."

Mahao for sharing! Glad this book help. I don’t have OCD but I do have ptsd. For me, it so rock when finding a book that helps. Good luck when you talk to your family.

message 12: by Ean (new)

Ean Ashley wrote: "I don't have OCD, but I have anxiety, and I related to so many aspects of the book like how to deal with your family when you have a mental illness. This book is so encouraging."

Isn't that something. A book can be something so very different for each reader and its experience is only complete once it is read! Reading has helped me with anxiety and I have found that help in the most unexpected of books. When searching for answers to mental illness it is worthwhile to look beyond the Self-Help section :)

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (itsashleychristine) Ian wrote: "Ashley wrote: "I don't have OCD, but I have anxiety, and I related to so many aspects of the book like how to deal with your family when you have a mental illness. This book is so encouraging."

Is..."

I find that it's more helpful to me personally to read a positive fictional book about someone who shares similar enough experiences than it is to read a non-fictional book telling me what to do.