Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > My Name is Lucy Barton - 3 *

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna | 35 comments I have just finished My Name Is Lucy Barton and whilst it was an okay book I didn't get very excited by it. I found all of the characters hard to engage with and it left me with more questions than answers. I found the writing rather bland too but maybe that was the point as so little actually happens in this book.

message 2: by Nicole (last edited May 02, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Nicole | 430 comments I am about half way through this book and I am absolutely loving it. I do agree with you that the writing is sparse and there isn't much that seems to be laid out for the reader. I think the point is that each reader will fill in the details according to their own experiences. Which would explain why this book would be a hit or miss - for me its a hit.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2331 comments I felt quite the same way as you, Anna, when I read it. I think I gave it 3 stars as well.

message 4: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments I enjoyed this book, and I agree that it does leave you with a lot of questions.

message 5: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I didn't love this either, and that made me sad. I've said this before- but I think I'm not the target audience for Strout, and probably won't try her any more until I'm older.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I adore Strout’s writing, but she seems to be one of those writers that people love or hate.

message 7: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I am a big fan of Elizabeth Strout, but I can see that she may not be for everyone

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments I also did not care for the book. I have been hit or miss with Strout. But I felt that it was hard to read something where little transformation occurs and your left kind of on the negative with nothing changing. No new insight. That never floats my boat.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6757 comments I am with you, Nicole! Loved it . . .but clearly, even from this small sample size of readers, she is polarizing.

So sorry Anna that this one was just meh for you. I have definitely had it happen before that a book is quite popular, and I dont care for it. Bet we have all been there lol.

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 430 comments I just finished this, and it did loose a bit of steam towards the end of the book. It lands somewhere between three and four stars for me, rounded up.