2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Deborah and Thing 2's May TBR Twins

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Hi Deborah,
This is so we can talk about our TBR reading things.
I see that you have some Percy Jackson books you want to read that I have already read. I am 100% fine with re-reading them if you want to read them for May :)
Thanks!

message 2: by Gabby (new)

Gabby My interests:
Fantasy, Time Travel, Historical Fiction

Yours:
1. Fantasy, Historical fiction and YA.

What Time Period do you like for Historical Fiction? I like the past, like the colonial times or the prairie times.

Which genre would you like to focus on this month? I am good with any of the 3.

Also, you have done this before; I haven't. So I am not sure how it all works...

Finally, who are your favorite authors? I like John Flanagan, Rick Riordan, Carolyn Keene, and Melanie Dickerson, but am willing to try others!!

Thank you for your patience :)

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments My favourite authors are Brandon Sanderson, Steven Erickson, John Gwynne, Peter V. Brett, Sarah J.Maas.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Am on the fourth book of the Percy Jackson series, I.e Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labrynth, we could read that or The Belles,Children of Blood and Bone.

If you have any other book in mind let me know.

message 5: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Hmmm.
Percy Jackson is always a fun read for me, and it has been a while since I've read book 4.

Throne of Glass and A Court of Thorns and Roses intruiged me too. If I am going for a new book that I haven't read, these would be near the top :)

However, Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson seems good (if you have already read it and don't want to reread it or didn't like it that is fine)

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments I've read both Throne of Glass and A court of Thorns and Roses, all the books published in the series. They are both great series if you want to read them.

I've read the Steelheart Trilogy also, and not so long ago.

What about The Belles, its a new book, so is children of blood and bone.

message 7: by Gabby (new)

Gabby I was reading comments and people were saying there was some transgender in The Belles, and I am not very comfortable with that... Do you know if there is any in that book? The Children of Blood and Bone sounds maybe a little violent, but I'm willing to give it a shot! I hope to go to the library today, so do you think we are going to read it? So that way I can get it :)

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments There is transgender in that, I never knew, am not comfortable with that either.

Children of blood and bone is a YA book, so I doubt they will be any substantial violence. If you still want to read that then you can get it from the library or do you have any other suggestion?

message 9: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Alright, we can do the Children of Blood and Bone :)

Thank you!

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments When should we start?

message 11: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Now? hahah.
I haven't gotten to the library yet but hope to today!!
So, I haven't done this before... do we just read it and then post our questions, comments, and progress to each other?

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments How about we start on Saturday?
We can update when we're half way through or when we finish.
But we can comment and all, no spoilers

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments How about we start on Saturday?
We can update when we're half way through or when we finish.
But we can comment and all, no spoilers

message 14: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Ok! Sounds good.

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Just want to remind you that today is saturday and I've started the book, what about you?

message 16: by Gabby (new)

Gabby The library does not have the book yet!! I am sorry!!

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Thing 2 wrote: "The library does not have the book yet!! I am sorry!!"

No problem, when will it be available?

message 18: by Gabby (new)

Gabby I placed a hold on the book but it won't be available until May 16, or even June 4. I am very sorry if I do not get to read it this month. But I hope you enjoy it a lot!!

message 19: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Alright, we can discuss it when you get your copy then.

message 20: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Hi Deborah,
I finally got the book!! Unfortunately, May is almost over. I will read as much as I can though! I am really sorry that it didn't work out as well as it could have.

message 21: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Its no problem, I've finished it, we'll discuss it when you are through.

message 22: by Gabby (new)

Gabby I am on Chapter 15!! Here is what I think of it so far:
The author reallllyyyyy reallyy really pulls you into the story!

However, the King's lack of care for people makes me uncomfortable. He will just kill people like he would kill a bug!

The way the maji were treated by others is a bit scary. They are beaten, sent to brothels, or forced to work in mines.

Other than that, and the frequent use of "dammit," I am LOVING the book!

I don't know if I will keep reading the book after May is over, unless you want to discuss it more. Thank you for your patience!

message 23: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Its like you're new to fantasy, this is basically what a tyrant does in fantasy and they will still have supporters.

I didn't like the writing style either, its not appealing enough.

You want to dnf the book if you don't finish it before May 31st?

message 24: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Deborah wrote: "Its like you're new to fantasy, this is basically what a tyrant does in fantasy and they will still have supporters.

I didn't like the writing style either, its not appealing enough.

You want to..."

Hmmm. OK.

I might DNF the book if I don't finish it by tomorrow, if that is OK with you. I don't know yet, because I kinda like it.

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Do not dnf it on my account, if you want to finish it in June, please do.

message 26: by Gabby (new)

Gabby OK! I am actually now almost done with it. I can't believe how fast I am reading it!

Sometimes, the book makes me uncomfortable when Inan and Zel hug and Inan touches Zel all over her body.

However, the story line is really good! It is so exciting that Inan says he loves Zel, but then he has to act bad for his father. He has to decided between "Duty before Self" or his heart before his kingdom!

Who is your favorite character? I like Zu, but then she died, and sadly Baba dies, and Kwame dies, and Zel's Mother is already dead! Poor Zel! I like Amari though, both for her name and her character

message 27: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Amari is my favourite character in the book, I loathe Inan and his indeceiveness, its ridiculous.

message 28: by Gabby (new)

Gabby It was confusing with Inan...

I FINISHED THE BOOK!! The ending confused me though; why was Zel's blood turning "to ice?" And they DID restore magic???

I have a few theories:
- Amari got powers because her brother died, so the powers passed to her. Thus Zel realized Inan was dead and felt her blood turn to ice.
- Amari had some ice-related power, like water or wind.
- Since they restored magic (didn't they??), everyone has a little power in them now, no matter who they were before?

message 29: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments The ending is confusing to me as well.

I think they restored magic, since it wasn't mentioned we can only guess.

You may be right about Amari having ice, wind or water power or maybe the "my blood turned to ice" was metaphorical.not literal.

I seriously cannot say, till book two I think.

message 30: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Ok :) When does book two come out?

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments I have no idea, how many stars did you rate it?

message 32: by Gabby (new)

Gabby I am not sure what to rate it. I might just label it as "read"... How many did you put?

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments 2 stars, it was okay. Nothing more than that.

message 34: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Ok :) Thank you for being patient with me and participating in this!

message 35: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Obida | 97 comments Its no problem. Why is your account on private?