Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Where Eagles Dare
This topic is about Where Eagles Dare
Group Reads Archive > May 2018 Mission Impossible Group Read Part II: Where Eagles Dare by Alastair MacLean *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4810 comments Mod
Where Eagles Dare is our May group read. Read and discuss here!

M.E. | 23 comments I will be starting a few days late. So far this topic seems pretty quiet. Is anyone else participating in the group read?

message 3: by Jen_Ken (new) - added it

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 180 comments This doesn’t look good for me to join as the book I ordered is not coming from Florida USA... If IT had I would have been able but apparently IT’s being shipped from the UK so who the heck knows when I’ll get IT... probably on a slow boat....

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I read it all the way through last month, so I'm ready to go whenever everyone else is. This was the first Alistair MacLean book I have read although I have a few others lying around that I picked up at one of my favorite local used bookstores.

Also, I'd seen the movie years and years ago when I was in school but a lot of it came back to me while I was reading the book. Now I think I need to see the film again.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) OK, I'll start the discussion. This is a terrific WWII "spy/adventure" novel by Alistair MacLean, who also wrote the screenplay (his first) for the movie version. MacLean's books were popular in the mid-50s through the 60s but his popularity eventually waned as he struggled with alcoholism.

The book starts in the winter of 1943-44 with a rescue mission for a captured General - the team flies over the Austrian/German border and drops in Bavaria where the General is held in a mountaintop castle. But after the team drops a lone woman secretly follows them out of the airplane. Who is she and why is she following them? This is just the first in a number of plot twists that make MacLean's stories so entertaining.

M.E. | 23 comments Thanks for kicking it off Randy.

This is the first of MacLean’s work I’ve read and I love how well written it is. MacLean’s characters, even the minor ones, have vivid, distinct personalities that he manages to convey in only a few words.

I started late, so I’m only up to them arriving at the bar so far. I loved the harrowing flight in and parachute jump.

And now I have the urge to visit the area they’re talking about because I’m left with a clear picture of a stunningly beautiful area in the alps.

The mountain is a real place. Does anyone know if there is a castle there like the book the describes?

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) M.E. wrote: "The mountain is a real place. Does anyone know if there is a castle there like the book the describes? "

It's called Hohenwerfen Castle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenwe...

description

M.E. | 23 comments Very cool, thanks Randy!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) M.E. wrote: "Very cool, thanks Randy!"

You're welcome!

I thought MacLean did a great job of describing the Bavarian mountain village setting during WWII. His characters are interesting too as you pointed out. Even Mary's role was pretty solid for a female action/adventure character 50 years ago.

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Literary Adrenaline Junkie (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 4810 comments Mod
Thanks to everyone who's participating! It's a busy time for many of us. You are appreciated.