2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > 2018 Reading Through Time Party Wrap-Up Survey

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (new)

Gabby 1. What were your favorite activities?
I enjoyed the books that got me reading my TBR shelf, like the challenge to read the 16th book on my TBR list, and a book published in 2016 (which I had wanted to read)

2. Were there any activities you would have liked to participate in but didn't have the chance? If so, what were they?
I would have liked to do the "readers give back" but unfortunately could not.

3. Did you interact with other members more, less, or the same as normal during the party?
I interacted a little bit more.

4. What are your suggestions for future parties?
We could do parties that celebrate one or more authors. For example, a January party could include readings of an author born or died in January, like JRR Tolkein or Joseph Grimm, or both.

Readathon
This was our very first readathon and we would like to ask you specific questions regarding it. Overall, the reception was good so we would like to offer more in the future if there is an interest. Your answers will help us plan for future readathons.

5. Did you participate in the readathon? Why or why not?
Unfortunately, no. I was too busy.

message 2: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3391 comments Party as a Whole
1. What were your favorite activities?
I like the Special 16,000 Challenge because I enjoy searching for specific books (or making what I'm reading fit) for specific prompts.

2. Were there any activities you would have liked to participate in but didn't have the chance? If so, what were they?
I would have liked to participate in ALL of the activities but I don't have unlimited reading time.

3. Did you interact with other members more, less, or the same as normal during the party?
A little more for the Recommendations activity. Otherwise it was just updating my challenges.

I would like to see a party or activity dedicated to knocking out books on the TBR list. There were some specific prompts here and on quarterly challenges that do so, but it would be cool if there was an entire activity for that, just so I can search within that list instead of having to look elsewhere for books to fill prompts. (Like earliest/latest added, earliest/latest published, author who comes up first/last alphabetically, book that comes up first/last alphabetically). You know, stuff everyone will be able to find on their list.

Readathon
This was our very first readathon and we would like to ask you specific questions regarding it. Overall, the reception was good so we would like to offer more in the future if there is an interest. Your answers will help us plan for future readathons.

Yes. I'm a sucker for reading challenges.

6. What were your goals for the readathon (start/finish books, complete specific challenge tasks, devote more time to reading, earn raffle tickets, connect with other readers, etc)? Were you happy with your results?
I guess I just like doing challenges for the sake of the challenge. I had the raffle tickets in mind as well.

7. What did you like and not like about the readathon? Please share what you'd like to see again and suggestions for improvement.
I thought it was very well-done and organized.

8. Would you like to see more readathons in the future? If so, please share more information about this such as frequency, length of each readathon, check-in process, and whether or not you would like to see mini-challenges in the futures.
Note: We will most likely NOT have raffle tickets/prizes for future readathons unless they are a part of a special event again.

Sure! Annually at least; quarterly at most. Any more than that and I think it would become difficult to take part in all of them without completely abandoning your other obligations.
I think the length should be a week, just so people who work or are busy on the weekends have some weekdays on which they can participate as well.
I thought the check-in process worked well this time. Mini-challenges are a yes. Again, I'm a sucker for a challenge.

message 3: by Rachael (last edited May 02, 2018 10:02AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3432 comments 1. I liked the Special 16,000 Challenge and the Readathon
2. I think I would have liked to participate in the Movie Night but it didn't fit in with my planned reading
3. About the same I think
4. Perhaps a couple more mini-challenges scattered throughout the party
5. Yes. I'd never done one before and wanted to see what it was like
6. My goal was 12 hours and I was hoping to complete a book that fit a lot of group challenges. I was happy with my results because I exceeded my goals: 12.25 hours and 3 books!
7. I liked the whole readathon and thought Kristin did a fantastic job of keeping track for us. I particularly liked that you could use your own timezone to check in.
8. Yes please - definitely more readathons. Perhaps once a year over a long weekend. The check-in process seemed to work this time so I would stick with that. To me it doesn't matter if we have mini-challenges/tasks but perhaps you could have different focuses at each check-in: e.g. who is your favourite character so far in the book you're reading? Without giving spoilers, what is the main theme of your current book? Give the funniest quote (with/without context) that you've read during this check-in...

message 4: by Janine (new)

Janine | 1141 comments Party as a Whole
Readathon and the 16,000 challenge

I would've liked to come up with a 3rd quarter challenge, but I just didn't get around to it. I would've liked to do more for Movie Night but the choices were a bit limited for me this time as I didn't want to buy, only use streaming services I already had.

A little more.

I prefer more open challenges rather than specific prompts or specific lists (such as in Movie Night), but I understand the value of both!

Readathon

Yes - I love anything that motivates me to read.

6. What were your goals for the readathon? Were you happy with your results?
Finding more time for reading. Powering through books that had been languishing on the tbr. I was thrilled with how much I read.

7. What did you like and not like about the readathon?
Absolutely adored it! The check ins were great; Kristin was a brilliant motivator. I liked being able to use my own time zone so there was no confusion on my end. I felt that three hours was a good chunk of time for each check in. I liked the structure of the readathon having its own topics.

8. Would you like to see more readathons in the future?
Yes please! I would love them biannually or quarterly. Three days was great for me - enough scope if you're busy but it was still fairly short so it felt 'urgent' and was lots of fun squeezing reading in. Too much longer I fear would lose the excitement and make it tedious. A 24/48hr one could work, but I think is more limiting if it falls on a bad day for you. I think regular check ins are essential to make you feel part of something ongoing. Mini challenges would be great!

message 5: by Susy (last edited May 02, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Susy (susysstories) 1. What were your favorite activities?
Readathon and Movie Night.

Not really.

Ehm...more I think, at least during the readathon.

You all did such a great job thinking up fun activities and challenges; really don't know what to add to that....

Yes, I love readathons.

6. What were your goals for the readathon (start/finish books, complete specific challenge tasks, devote more time to reading, earn raffle tickets, connect with other readers, etc)? Were you happy with your results?
Devote more time to reading, the feeling you get knowing everybody is reading as much as he can during that time period, and in this case also the raffle tickets but those weren't the most important part.
Yes, definitely glad with my results although I read less than I could have because during Dewey's I was checking GR, Twitter and FB every hour.

7. What did you like and not like about the readathon? Please share what you'd like to see again and suggestions for improvement.
Liked the check-ins and seeing how everybody was doing.
Did Dewey's readathon as well and I liked their idea of a group scavenger hunt. Also liked their reading sprints every 4 hours.
Maybe also keep track of pages read.
On the one hand I liked you could use your own time-zone, on the other hand I liked that in Dewey's everybody starts and finishes at the same time. It leaves you with a certain feeling I just can't describe....

8. Would you like to see more readathons in the future? If so, please share more information about this such as frequency, length of each readathon, check-in process, and whether or not you would like to see mini-challenges in the futures.
Yes! Although not too many otherwise it'll lose its appeal. I think for this group once a year is enough, max twice. 48 hours is about enough. Checking in every 4 hours where the 4th hour is a sprint. Although I like the idea of mini challenges I noticed during Dewey's that it takes up too much of my (reading) time. Would prefer the group scavenger hunt.

message 6: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Party as a Whole
1. What were your favorite activities? Readathon, Special 16,000 challenge and the recommendations.

2. Were there any activities you would have liked to participate in but didn't have the chance? If so, what were they? I only watched one movie and would have liked to do more but just didn't have the time.

3. Did you interact with other members more, less, or the same as normal during the party? Definitely more.

4. What are your suggestions for future parties? I think the mods did a great job. Maybe spread things out a bit more by adding a mini challenge or event weekly as opposed to all at once?

Readathon

5. Did you participate in the readathon? Why or why not? Yes, I love readathons!

6. What were your goals for the readathon (start/finish books, complete specific challenge tasks, devote more time to reading, earn raffle tickets, connect with other readers, etc)? Were you happy with your results? My goals were time based. I was happy with my results since I was reading a bit of a doorstop and it ensured that I finished it quickly instead of the week or longer it would have otherwise.

8. Would you like to see more readathons in the future? If so, please share more information about this such as frequency, length of each readathon, check-in process, and whether or not you would like to see mini-challenges in the futures. I would definitely like to see more. Perhaps quarterly or if that's too much, twice per year. I would definitely like to have mini challenges to encourage more participation. Maybe split people into teams and work together towards goals?

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 344 comments Party as a Whole
I liked the Special 16,000 Challenge. I also liked the the Give a Recommendation, Get a Recommendation aspect. I didn't get to participate there as much as I wanted but it was a cool idea. The Shakespeare mini challenge was also good. I wouldn't have read more Shakespeare in the near future otherwise.

I participated in everything I wanted to (in addition to the above, I also contributed to the Timeless Classics Listopia and participated in the Readathon).

About the same.

I liked having mini challenges within the overall party time period that had set time durations (ex: Party Like It's 1564 and Readathon). So maybe one idea for a future party is to have a series of shorter challenges (ex: 4 consecutive week-long mini challenges) connected by a unifying party theme.

Readathon
Yes. I'd never did it before and thought it'd be a fun way to focus my reading.

I had a couple books that I had to finish in April for buddy reads so I wasn't to get through them as much as possible. I was able to finish one. I could have finished the second but ended up doing social obligations on Sunday and therefore didn't complete the book or my challenge goal. But I was still happy with my results because I was able to get more hours in on Friday/Saturday than expected.

At first I was worried there'd be too many check in points, but I ended up really liking how the check-in slots were structured and it helped me be more clear when checking in. Also, as others have mentioned, I liked checking in based on my own time zone.

Quarterly readathons would be nice, and maybe 4 days in duration so that they overlap the weekend and the week. I think the check in process worked well. And as mentioned above, I'm all for mini challenges.

message 8: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah | 195 comments 1. What were your favorite activities?
I enjoyed the Give a recommendation, Get a recommendation, Special 16 000 challenge

Read like it was 1564

My interactions were the same.

More plays as a mini-challenge or even a movie/TV adaption game

Yes. I enjoy read-a-thons in general.

I used the read-a-thon to try to finish the Special 16 000 challenge and as a gauge as to how I can squeeze in more reading. I would have participated even without the raffle tickets. I was happy with my results given that life got into the way of my reading.

The check-ins were easy to use and the time slots made it easy to decide when you could start a good set of reading. If another read-a-thon is done the check in/time slots would be great.

The read-a-thon was a great way to wrap up the celebration. They could be done once a quarter on weekends or at least once during a week(could be an annual feature). Definitely think the check-in work best. And I am all for mini-challenges.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 65 comments 1. I thought the party was awesome
2. movie night maybe, i couldn't work that one in.
3. Definitely more than usual (which is close to not much from me normally ).
4. More parties please! This was tons of fun and i loved that there were so many activities that i could do several i liked and feel part of the group.
5. i did and it was my first one!
6. i set a time goal that i didn't hit, but i would have done it the same again.
7. i liked being able to read anything i was in the middle of and not trying to find a book to fit the topic. Duration i thiught was good and i liked the check ins which kept me thinking of it. would have liked more comments about what people were reading. liked Rachel's ideas for a quote or character, or theme. You guys ran it super well and i liked being able to see where everyone was at with their goals.
8. MORE! Frequency i would say once a month or so? That would be something cool to add to my calendar each month and i think if there are going to be themes, than people will pick and choose which ones to do so you won't burn out.

Thanks so much for this i had a blast!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 607 comments Party as a Whole
I really enjoyed the Give/Receive a Recommendation although I do wish (and I know this is something that you cannot change) that people could reply much like on other platforms so that people did not get skipped over, which I noticed happened very frequently.
I also like the 16,000 challenge even though it was difficult to come up with some books for the different categories, at least ones that would be appealing.

The special weekend reading events I didn't get to participate in primarily because those happened to be the only two weekends I was busy.

I definitely interacted more with people, although I wouldn't say I made any friends during the event.

Offer a different variety of activities during each event to keep them fresh, like different themes and things.

Readathon

I did! It was a lot of fun and I genuinely would love to do it again.

Starting and finishing books was my biggest goal. I honestly didn't know how to keep track of my own raffle tickets. Connecting with others was nice too!

I didn't like how chaotic things like the Give/Receive pages were because people weren't reading the rules or pages properly, leaving others out of the activity.

Note: We will most likely NOT have raffle tickets/prizes for future readathons unless they are a part of a special event again.
I think having a Readathon during the summer break and one during the winter break times would be awesome because it would help encourage people to take the time to slow down and relax. Length of this was good, although I think honestly that one week would be good for the ones that aren't really big, special events like this one was.
As for the prizes, I think it would be cool to see if there could be someone or something like a sponsor for the prize, although I know that is very unlikely to happen.

message 11: by Brittany (last edited May 03, 2018 07:54AM) (new)

Brittany | 602 comments Party as a Whole

Readathon and the recommends challenge as it is always fun to get and give new book ideas.

I liked the 16 000 challenge but had very little time throughout the month.

A little more

I don't have any right now

Readathon

YES! Was my first readathon. I have always wanted to be a part of one.

To read more and see how much time I actually spend reading in a weekend as well as connect and chat with other readers. I could've read more but overall I was happy with my results.

I thought the readathon was run very well. Not sure there is anything that needs changing. I did also do at least a bit of Dewey readathon and I liked their scavenger hunt set up.

Yes please! I would love to see them quarterly or at least biannually. I think 3 days is a perfect amount of time. Any longer and staying motivated to read or check in diminishes and any shorter and it would exclude a bunch of people who are unavailable on a particular day. It would be great to have mini-challenges added in because who doesn't like a challenge!
Also I liked the idea Rachael posted about having different focuses at check ins.

message 12: by Mie (new)

Mie | 1989 comments Thank you for a lovely party :-)
Both organizers and participants impressed me immensely!!!

I participated in a couple of the challenges - especially the “16,000” was just my sort of thing :-) Had I had time to read more books, I would have loved to do more.

I’m not normally a readathon kind of person, but I thought about it this time... But I was actually unsure about which time zone we counted from? Not a brilliant excuse, I know, haha... My own little previous investigation led me to believe, that I am 9 hours in front, but I’m still not sure...

I am definitely up for more challenges and parties to come - maybe even a readathon ;-)

message 13: by Savannah (new)

Savannah Party as a Whole
The Readathon
The 16,000 challenge, I didn't get to it in time, I saw people talking about it and meant to check it out but never did.
probably more

Readathon

Yes, I love read-a-thons and hadn't done one for a while so I decided to give it a shot
at first it was 24 hr then had to change it to 18 hours. But then I only read for like 4-6 ( i think lol)

Yes, I loved this read-a-thon, I think maybe less check-ins; also something that confused me is that times were recorded by 15 minute intervals rather than actual minutes read. I think mini-challenges would be fun as well, and maybe some sprints on here.

message 14: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Savannah wrote: " I think maybe less check-ins; also something that confused me is that times were recorded by 15 minute intervals rather than actual minutes read. "

Good point.
Also when planning readathons in this group it would be great if other readathons were to taken into account (like de 24in48 and Dewey's) so they don't follow too soon one after the other or else coincide exactly.

message 15: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Kristin wrote: "Hope this info was helpful! ..."

It was Kristin, thank you!

I suspected the 15 minutes was thought of because of the raffle tickets...
I think it's a good idea readathons won't overlap. I do think it is important that this group's readathon will not be too close to the big readathons. I love them as I said, but I don't feel like having one each month, feels like overkill to me, too much of anything is never good imo, it diminishes motivation en enthusiasm. But perhaps other members feel differently.

message 16: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) | 281 comments I only took part in the Readathon, so I'll answer for that:

Yes, because I love readathons, and love having that external motivation to read. Plus I'm quite competitive, and love tracking, so it all works to get me reading more.

Devoting more time time to reading, and finishing some books that I'd been lethargic about reading. I was very happy with my results. I would have liked to read much more, but I was very busy, and forgot I'd had commitments the weekend of, so I didn't get as much time to dedicate as I liked. I was still happy to get 3 hours in around that! I definitely wouldn't've read that much if it weren't for this Readathon :)

I liked mostly everything! I wish there'd been less threads, perhaps - I find it hard to remember/note down those kind of particulars. But I know that was due to the Raffles. I really liked the final Friday/Saturday/Sunday threads, so I could lump them together if I forgot to include any times in the specific checkins. I liked rounding up to 15 mins too - I'm really awful with maths, and it really helped me.

I would love more! Quarterly would be ideal in my eyes. Mini-challenges sound good, esp. those that mainly requiring you to answer questions about the book you're currently reading. I liked it being 3 days.

Having said that, I also wouldn't mind seeing a week long readathon in December or toward the end of the year, either, as a "get all your reading done for challenges!" kind of thing, to help people catch up. It could be a fun and motivating.

message 17: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4211 comments Thanks for taking the time to fill in the survey! It is really useful for us to hear which aspects you liked and where there is room for improvement :)

message 18: by AmbWitch (new)

AmbWitch | 227 comments I'm a bit late at filling out this survey but hey ho.

Party as a Whole
The virtual party and the reading challenge

Readathon

Same

Maybe less activities to make them easier to keep track off. Have a twitter account with regular updates.

Readathon

No. I was not available

N/A

N/A

Yes. Not too often, maybe twice a year, four tops. Frequency never more than a week. For check in could either have individual threads or have everyone who is taking part split into small groups and each group have a thread. Might even be able to turn it into a bit of a game/competition. I think mini challenges are fun, as long as they are not compulsory.