The Bibliophiles discussion

Book of the Month > May BOTM: Hyperion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Alright everyone! We have our May BOTM! For those of us participating, we will be reading Hyperion by Dan Simmons. This looks like it's going to be a great read! I will admit thought that Ghost Story looked really great as well and was our runner up so I might be reading BOTH of these books this month, if I can find the time! Let us know what you think!

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) yay! I loved this book! I'm glad to be doing a reread with the group!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Awesome! I got the kindle version today! I'm trying to finish the kindle book I'm reading right now in the next week or two so I can jump into this one! I'm excited!

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 154 comments Oh, man, I soo wish I could join the group, as I'm a big Dan Simmons fan but have not read Hyperion. Lisa, I'd love to discuss Ghost Story if you have time to read both books.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Awesome! Thank you! Sorry you won't be able to join. I've been checking a lot of books out of the library but they didn't have Hyperion. It is on Amazon Kindle for 4.99 fortunately!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

I am ALMOST finished with the Kindle book I borrowed from the library and as soon as I finish, I will happily get into this book! Anyone else started on this yet?

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Anyone else participating in this read/has read this book before? I went into this book knowing it was supposed to be good but, holy cow! I am so hooked. I just finished the reading of Father Paul Dure's journals and man that was a good read. So original and intense. Ugh, loved it! Can't wait to read through this whole epic story and definitely the series!

message 8: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited May 19, 2018 09:46AM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Father Paul's was the most engaging and intense of the stories for me. Sol Weintraub's story was a close second for me. That one made me have all the feels.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Nikki (Nyx) wrote: "Father Paul's was the most engaging and intense of the stories for me. Sol Weintraub's story was a close second for me. That one made me have all the feels."

I can't wait to read it! This is turning out to be a book that will probably be added to my favorites list!

message 10: by Ahsan (new)

Ahsan | 1 comments Well, that's something amazing. I just cannot wait to see that.

Victoria Henao

message 11: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) Waiting for the next poll, so I’ve decided to try to read Hyperion before the month is up, even though joining very late.

I recently have gotten interested in sci-fi. I heavily disliked it growing up, but I’ve had a hard time with getting into all the jargon. Hyperion starts outs that way as well. One thing I’ve noticed in reading a few sci-fi novels is the great exploration of existentialism. So far this book definitely doesn’t disappoint.

So far I’m past the first story, which I loved. I really enjoy the Cantabury Tales type frame story. I’ve been trying to avoid spoiling the story for myself, but looked up the book a bit, since I had no prior knowledge on it. It looks like there is a sequel that is closely tied to this book. For those who have finished, do you feel like you need to read the next?

message 12: by Lisa (new)

I am about halfway through and I am loving it. I do plan to read the next book but I couldn't tell you at this point if that's because I need to or not. The stories are so fascinating! My only wish with this book is that I could sit down and shut our the world long enough to finish it!

Naomi-Lynn Marguerite  (naomi-lynnmarguerite) Finished the book and really enjoyed it. Once you get to the end, if you liked the book, you will definitely want to read more. And although this is classed as sci-fi it's actually speculative fiction, simply set in space.

I've posted my review if anyone is interested. There are no spoilers.

message 14: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) Finally finished the book. I really liked the creativity in characters and world building. The author did a great job of giving each person a different style when conveying their stories. I enjoyed the frame stories a lot more than the overall story. I think the author got too tied up in conveying all the science fiction aspects when looking at the bigger picture. We hear so much about the technology without any real explanation of why it matters. (Same with a lot of the politics.) The frame stories allowed for the reader to actually build a connection with each character and their own individual outlooks on the world they live within.

I'm hesitant to read the next books, since I suspect they'll be written more in the overall style. I'm also skeptical that all these various worlds can be put together in any logical way that ties up all these loose ends. I kind of like not knowing what will happen, as I'm worried I'll be disappointed if I read more. Again this kind of goes back to being more interested in the motivations and characters than the actual story of space and time traveling itself.

The themes in the book were really interesting. It seems like religion/tradition is an important theme. What parts of religion are lost and which are kept as time evolves. I also was interested in the idea of time debt and how it always comes with a price. It's impressive someone could write about a world that is able to keep track of changes happening instantaneously (on the web) and changes that will happen years in the future (because of distance). It's hard to imagine anything could ever get done smoothly. Which I think explains how and why so many of the different worlds function so differently from each other.

I'm really amazed someone could write a book that is so original.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Whitney wrote: "Finally finished the book. I really liked the creativity in characters and world building. The author did a great job of giving each person a different style when conveying their stories. I enjoyed..."

Thank you for the awesome review! I am about 60% through and I am just in love with this book. I am hoping to finally have enough time to finish it within the next week or so. I don't know how it ends yet but I think I will definitely be reading the next books in the series. This is one of the most fascinating fictional books that I have read in a really long time.

message 16: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (wbandel) Lisa wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Finally finished the book. I really liked the creativity in characters and world building. The author did a great job of giving each person a different style when conveying their st..."

I'll probably at least read the next book since they seemed paired. If I seem torn at all it's just because I didn't expect that I'd want to continue the series after reading the book, and now I have to figure out where to put the next book in my huge pile of books I want to read someday. The pile just seems to keep growing instead of getting smaller.

I haven't read much Sci-Fi, but Hyperion might just be the best one I've read.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Whitney wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Finally finished the book. I really liked the creativity in characters and world building. The author did a great job of giving each person a different style when conve..."

Trust me I totally understand this conundrum. I've gotten into books that I only expected to be one offs or, at most, a trilogy, and then they turn into this huge time investment. Now don't get me wrong, I almost never regret reading them but, I would have liked to have at least planned the time for it you know. I've really been thinking about devoting next year to finishing off the books I own and series that I've started and wanted to finish but haven't been able to as well not purchasing (except in special circumstances) or borrowing any books whatsoever. But, knowing me, that'll probably never happen! XD