Outlander Series discussion

Archived > Q about the opal scene in Fiery Cross

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (last edited Aug 14, 2009 11:11AM) (new)

Amy Osborn | 17 comments Hello everyone! Just joined your discussion group and want to introduce myself. I'm Amy, live in Chicago and am reading the series for the third time (!).

I wonder if you all noticed that in FC, Claire says that the opal was given to her by an old indian woman...but it wasn't...she found it under Otter Tooth's skull. Do you think DG did this on purpose? I can't imagine why, but I also can't imagine forgetting the details of a story you wrote yourself! Any thoughts?

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Ha, you're right. No, I don't think she did it on purpose. I just think this was a big 'oopsy'.

Doesn't Claire get another stone from another Indian woman? The one who was killed by the old German man? Maybe DG got mixed up.

--
Sent on a phone using T9space.com

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments I think that other one was a sapphire. Jem swallows it. I think that may have been the mix up.

--

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments Just like with the mixup with the stones, There are times in the books that you can tell that Diana writes in scenes. Sometimes she will repeat things that were said in a previous chapter, like she was going to go back and edit what was needed, but didn't get to it. Did anyone else catch that too?

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Yes, there's a lot of phrase repetition. I'll think 'Didn't she say this before?'. But that should be a job for the editors. Shouldn't it?

With the opal, yes, she should have gone back and looked up where she had the opal coming from. Tsk tsk. :)

--

message 6: by Erika (last edited Aug 16, 2009 01:42PM) (new)

Erika (erikaboncz) | 64 comments I can't remember who she was talking, so this might not be applicable but she might not have mentioned Otter Tooth because he was killed by the rest of the Indian tribe and it was kind of a strange "meeting" that she had when she found it. I could have been easier to just say the "old indian".

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee (nightbird) | 334 comments Bree, Roger, Ian and Jamie were there. Ian and Jamie knew where the opal came from and Bree and Roger wouldn't be shocked.
No, she mentions the woman's name to them and it's not the woman who gave her the sapphire. It was a definite goof.

--

message 8: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikaboncz) | 64 comments Renee wrote: "Bree, Roger, Ian and Jamie were there. Ian and Jamie knew where the opal came from and Bree and Roger wouldn't be shocked.
No, she mentions the woman's name to them and it's not the woman who gav..."

Ah well worth a try

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy Osborn | 17 comments Thanks, guys. I thought I was imagining things! Just finished Snow & Ashes last night at 3am! :o

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 259 comments Your like me Amy, I can't sut it down when I'm that close to the end.