You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > May 2018 - The Last Report on the MIracles at LIttle No Horse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 18231 comments One of the group reads for May is The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Janice will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during May 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I just downloaded an ebook copy from my library. I started to read the prologue and I am half way through. Unfortunately, I am too tired to appreciate it, except peripherally (view spoiler) I'm going to sleep now...

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I finished the prologue. I really liked what I have read so far. (view spoiler)

message 4: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments I brought the book from the library already. I'd rather finish the book I am reading before starting this, but if it takes more that 3 or 4 more days I will start this one anyway.

message 5: by Cherie (last edited May 01, 2018 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I am not prepared for this! I started Chapter 1. It is too beautiful!

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments I'm glad to see you are off and running, Cherie, and that you're enjoying it. I've read Louise Erdrich before and have quite a few of her books on my wishlist.

I'm not going to get to this book right away. I've overtasked myself with too many books on the go as it is. I hope to join you soon.

message 7: by Cherie (last edited May 02, 2018 02:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I finished chapter 1
@ Sister Cecilia (view spoiler)
My brain is too overwhelmed with it all. I am going to switch books to calm down.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Now that sounds intriguing!

Ashley | 392 comments Prologue:

Just finished readin the prologue. I think it will be an interesting book. (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Janice wrote: "Now that sounds intriguing!"

It was great, Janice!

message 11: by Cherie (last edited May 02, 2018 03:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Chapter 1
@ Agnes DeWitt and Berndt Vogel (view spoiler)
@ The Caramacchione (view spoiler)
@ Blessing - no words - I loved this section!
@ Arnold Anderson (view spoiler)
@ Berndt Vogel/The Blue Horse (view spoiler)
@ Frederic Chopin (view spoiler)
@ Father Damien Modeste (The First) (view spoiler)
@ The Mission (view spoiler)
@ The Flood (view spoiler)

Okay - I've caught up and now I can go on to Chapter 2.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Chapter 2
@ the 3 A.M. Letter 1996(view spoiler)
@1912 (view spoiler).
@ The Exchange (view spoiler)

Chapter 3
(view spoiler)

On to Part Two, Chapter 4

The back and forth from 1996 and the letters and back to 1912 are making me a little anxious.

Ashley | 392 comments Chapter 1

I read part of chapter 1 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Cherie wrote: "I just downloaded an ebook copy from my library. I started to read the prologue and I am half way through. Unfortunately, I am too tired to appreciate it, except peripherally [spoilers removed] I'm..."

I was going to comment on the same thing. I hope we find out exactly what that means.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Usually I make my own comments and then go back to see what others say, but switched it this time around.

Prologue - (view spoiler)

message 16: by Cherie (last edited May 04, 2018 04:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Janice wrote: "Usually I make my own comments and then go back to see what others say, but switched it this time around.

Prologue -..."

Re your spoiler about writing (view spoiler)

re the deceased (view spoiler)

I skipped reading this book last night to get to a couple of other books. If my comments are too verbose let me know and I will scale back.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Ashley wrote: "Chapter 1

I read part of chapter 1 [spoilers removed]"

LOL!

message 18: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments I started it yesterday, and although is not what I was expecting, so far I am loving it!

Prologue (view spoiler)

Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

The writing style reminds me constantly to Garcia Marquez's, even the last book by him I read was 2 decades ago. The way tragic and comical events are told at the same time, for example (view spoiler). Also the characters, as Gracia Marquez's characters, are exaggerated, overdone and dramatic, but still believable for some reason.
Anyone else has this feeling? Do you remember anything about Garcia Marquez?

message 19: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments Ashley wrote: "Chapter 1

Lol, Ashley! Maybe you will try now!

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Cherie wrote: "JPrologue -..."
Re your spoiler about writing [spoilers removed]."

Hmmmm, for some reason I thought there were other letters. I shall have to go and look.

I didn't get anything read last night. Hopefully I can get caught up. Thank goodness I can renew it at the library.

Ashley | 392 comments Sandra wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Chapter 1

Lol, Ashley! Maybe you will try now!"

Hahaha! I think my family would have me committed lol

Ashley | 392 comments Chapter 4

Just finished chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments I hardly picked up the book on the weekend. ARGH! I need to get moving on it.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Sandra wrote: "I started it yesterday, and although is not what I was expecting, so far I am loving it!

Prologue It requires conviction and perseverance to keep writing for so long, I agree. He mentions 7 popes..."

I definitely have to agree with you, Sandra! It is the same dream like kind of state, but during the day, with your eyes open. Everything is too sharp and shadowed at the same time.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I just finished Chapter 4
@ Ashley's spoiler (view spoiler)

@the river (view spoiler)
@Kashpaw (view spoiler)
Beautiful scene: (view spoiler)
His first day (view spoiler)

Ashley | 392 comments Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

Ashley | 392 comments Kashpaw

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments Janice wrote: "I hardly picked up the book on the weekend. ARGH! I need to get moving on it."

Same here, Janice. I haven't touch the book since my last comment... :(

message 29: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments Cherie wrote: "I definitely have to agree with you, Sandra! It is the same dream like kind of state, but during the day, with your eyes open. Everything is too sharp and shadowed at the same time."

"Dream like" is an excellent way of describing it, Cherie.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments I finished a book that was going to disappear off Overdrive because it's due back at the library. I'll be able to focus more on this one now.

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 598 comments I'm determined to actually make time to read this month! I borrowed this from Hoopla and based on the amount of discussion already, I think I picked the right book this month! Can't wait to get started.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Ashley wrote: "Chapter 5
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Ashley wrote: "Kashpaw

[spoilers removed]"

I agree and you put down what I felt too, but failed to put into words. :o)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "I'm determined to actually make time to read this month! I borrowed this from Hoopla and based on the amount of discussion already, I think I picked the right book this month! Can't wait to get sta..."

Welcome Laura! I'm hoping you will like it as much as we do, so far.

I have been reading Circe during my breaks and at lunch today, but cannot wait to get back to Little No Horse tonight.

message 35: by Ashley (last edited May 08, 2018 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashley | 392 comments Cherie wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Chapter 5
[spoilers removed]"

That makes definitely makes sense but the more I read (view spoiler)

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Ashley wrote: "Cherie wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Chapter 5
[spoilers removed]" "

Ashley, could you remove the quoted text starting right after "spoilers removed". You have to be careful when replying because the spoiler tags are removed and the spoiler can be revealed. Thanks.

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "I'm determined to actually make time to read this month! I borrowed this from Hoopla and based on the amount of discussion already, I think I picked the right book this month! Can't wait to get sta..."

Welcome Laura. I've barely begun myself so you won't be alone.

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I am reading chapter 5.
I keep missing the "and" in the sentences. Does anyone else feel that way? I keep stopping and rereading to find what is not there. I have a question about her breakfast too. (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I love that word!! Ojibwemowin. It sounds so musical.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments You've finished it already Dee? That's super. What rating did you give it?

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Chapter 1

What an eventful first chapter! (view spoiler)

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Cherie wrote: "Chapter 1
@ Agnes DeWitt and Berndt Vogel [spoilers removed]
@ The Caramacchione [spoilers removed]
@ Blessing - no words - I loved this section!
@ Arnold Anderson [spoilers removed]
@ Berndt Voge..."

Re: The Caramcchione - I love how you research things in the books you read. I don't usually take the time unless it's something that intrigues me enough to interrupt the book. I listened to your link and read the comments. I was really impressed. The pianist did not know that piece of music. He was sight reading it! I'd be fumbling my way through and it would have taken months of practice to play with that level of accuracy.

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Ashley wrote: "Chapter 1

Haha - (view spoiler)

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Sandra wrote: "Also the characters, as Gracia Marquez's characters, are exaggerated, overdone and dramatic, but still believable for some reason.
Anyone else has this feeling? Do you remember anything about Garcia Marquez? .."

I haven't read any of Marquez, but the prologue mentioned the sister (view spoiler)

message 45: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments Janice, Re your questions in the spoiler in comment 64 (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I finished chapter 5 last night and I have still been thinking about it this morning. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Sandra, Moderator (last edited May 09, 2018 10:38AM) (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments Finished chapter 4 (view spoiler)

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments Sandra wrote: "Janice, Re your questions in the spoiler in comment 64 [spoilers removed]"

I might have thought it was (view spoiler)

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (last edited May 10, 2018 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51867 comments I read to the end of Chapter 2.

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9794 comments I am so annoyed about my lack of time for reading. This moving to France is taking all my awake time. I really want to come back to Little No Horse!

« previous 1 3