Aussie Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Nominations open for June 2018 group read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 72266 comments Mod
It's time for everyone to nominate a book for our June 2018 group read! Each month during 2018 we will have a different genre to nominate - for June, it's Contemporary

Please remember, every nomination must be by an Australian author.

NOTE: Only the beginning of a series (if a series) please :)

This thread will be open until 10th May, then our nominations will go to the vote:) Good luck and happy picking!

Authors and publishers, please don't nominate your own work!

Our Moderator choice for June is An Accidental Murderer (Sydney Legal #1) by Chris Taylor An Accidental Murderer by Chris Taylor

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'd like to nominate Leaving Ocean Road by Esther Campion Leaving Ocean Road by Esther Campion

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1754 comments Brenda wrote: "It's time for everyone to nominate a book for our June 2018 group read! Each month during 2018 we will have a different genre to nominate - for June, it's Contemporary ..."

Sorry to be a pain Brenda, but what are the hallmarks for Contemporary? Can this be interpreted fairly broadly, for example, a story that follows main characters from childhood into present-day adulthood?

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

This is Goodreads interpretation: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/cont...

Contemporary means to me that it isn't defined by another genre. (eg not Mystery or Romance or Historical Fiction etc) But if you're not sure, check the book's genre shelves listed at the side of the page - that will help. You can check with me or another mod when you have one to nominate if you wish :)

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4824 comments I'd like to nominate: The Art of Friendship by Lisa Ireland The Art of Friendship by Lisa Ireland

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1754 comments I'd like to nominate Gravity Well by Melanie Joosten

Gravity Well by Melanie Joosten

message 7: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Phrynne wrote: "Sourdough Sourdough by Robin Sloan by Robin Sloan"

I didn't know he was an Aussie?

message 8: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 12289 comments Mod
Lol! Forgot which group I was in. Thanks Ace.

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Haha! Easily done Phrynne!

message 10: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Hah, its a good book too Phrynne!

message 11: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

message 12: by Sharah (last edited May 01, 2018 02:19PM) (new)

Sharah McConville | 462 comments Three Gold Coins by Josephine Moon. Three Gold Coins by Josephine Moon I'd like to nominate this book.

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim | 39 comments I nominate How It Feels by Brendan Cowell it's been sitting on my bedside table for a while now, so a group read will be the perfect prompt for me to open it up!!

message 15: by Tien (last edited May 01, 2018 04:37AM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments Interesting mod choice... can I ask why this book? Looks like it's only available in ebook & not available at either my libraries :p

I think the same also for this month's mod choice? Are you picking indie/self-pub Aussie authors?

Just curious...

message 17: by MaryG2E (new)

MaryG2E (goodreadscommaryg2e) | 878 comments I'd like to nominate Leap by Myfanwy Jones Leap by Myfanwy Jones

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim | 39 comments Tien wrote: "A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz"

Good book!

Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling | 40 comments Brenda wrote: "It's time for everyone to nominate a book for our June 2018 group read! Each month during 2018 we will have a different genre to nominate - for June, it's
Contemporary

Please remember, every ..."

Id like to nominate The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart

message 20: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Andrea wrote: "Brenda wrote: "It's time for everyone to nominate a book for our June 2018 group read! Each month during 2018 we will have a different genre to nominate - for June, it's Contemporary ..."

Sorry to..."

I always think of contemporary fiction as something that is written in present day at the time of publication, about present day social and political and economic settings THAT AREN'T Historical/fantasy/scifi/thriller etc classification/classifiable.

message 21: by Jenny (last edited May 01, 2018 06:45AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) | 766 comments Tien wrote: "Interesting mod choice... can I ask why this book? Looks like it's only available in ebook & not available at either my libraries :p

I think the same also for this month's mod choice? Are you pick..."

I have sent a personal message to you Tien with links to paperback additions of Chris Taylor's books.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 14 comments I’d like to nominate Judy Nann Spirits of the Ghan

message 23: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Here you go, Laura =o)

Spirits of the Ghan by Judy Nunn

message 24: by Sandy (last edited May 01, 2018 06:17PM) (new)

Sandy Sexton | 20 comments Secrets of the Sea by Nicholas Shakespeare

I enjoyed this book set in Swansea, Tasmania, so it's my nomination for June.

message 25: by Samantha (last edited May 01, 2018 07:07PM) (new)

Samantha Wood | 14 comments I'd like to nominate this beautiful book by Anna George The Lone Child

message 26: by Rob (new)

Rob | 344 comments What a great selection of books. I'd be happy to read any of them.

message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Tien wrote: "Interesting mod choice... can I ask why this book? Looks like it's only available in ebook & not available at either my libraries :p

I think the same also for this month's mod choice? Are you pick..."

No particular reason Tien. Trying to get a broad range - not just the big publisher titles. I didn't click that they were both only ebooks and self pubbed either. I'm sorry if that's a problem for people - and I guess it will be for those who don't own e-readers. We'll make sure to check from now on - thanks for bringing it to our attention Tien.

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Jenny wrote: "Tien wrote: "Interesting mod choice... can I ask why this book? Looks like it's only available in ebook & not available at either my libraries :p

I think the same also for this month's mod choice?..."

Thanks Jenny :)

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Li'l Owl wrote: "Here you go, Laura =o)

Spirits of the Ghan by Judy Nunn"

Thanks so much Owl :)

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sandy wrote: "Secrets of the Sea by Nicholas Shakespeare

I enjoyed this book set in Swansea, Tasmania, so it's my nomination for June."

Sandy it seems he's not Aussie - his profile says he lives in Oxford and it doesn't say anywhere that he's lived in Australia. Sorry..

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Tim wrote: "I nominate How It Feels by Brendan Cowell it's been sitting on my bedside table for a while now, so a group read will be the perfect prompt for me to open it up!!"

Tim this one appears to be a coming-of-age novel. I'll confer with my fellow mods on this one and get back to you :)

message 32: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 7 comments I'd like to nominate The Art of Friendship by Lisa Ireland The Art of Friendship by Lisa Ireland

message 33: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Tim wrote: "I nominate How It Feels by Brendan Cowell it's been sitting on my bedside table for a while now, so a group read will be the perfect prompt for me to open it up!!"

We have agreed this one is fine, as one of the genres on the shelves is contemporary :)

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Sally906 wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Art of Friendship by Lisa Ireland The Art of Friendship by Lisa Ireland"

Sharon has already nominated that one Sally if you'd like to nominate another :)

message 35: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Rob wrote: "I would like to nominate The Secrets She Keeps The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham by Michael Robotham"

Not contemporary I'm afraid Rob...

message 36: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sexton | 20 comments Brenda wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Secrets of the Sea by Nicholas Shakespeare

I enjoyed this book set in Swansea, Tasmania, so it's my nomination for June."

Sandy it seems he's not Aussie - his profil..."

Hi Brenda,
He and his wife emigrated to Australia in 1999. Germaine Greer and Keneally vouched for them and they were granted residency as 'creative people'. Their children were born in Tassie, but they are currently living in Oxford while their children attend school there. The article I read said they planned to return to Tasmania once the kids finish school. With resident status in Tassie, I thought he'd count as an Aussie, but doing the maths I think they only lived in Tassie for 10 years and apparently now they spend only two months a year there - probably during the kids' holiday. I've cobbled this together from a few different articles. Does he count as an Australian author? Possibly not - but I leave that up to our hard working, wonderful group moderators.

message 37: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Yes, Sandy thanks. A shame it isn't as clear as you've made it, in the profile!! But definitely, he's Aussie :) Thanks!

message 38: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments Thanks, Jenny & Brenda.

I don't have a problem with e-books or self-pub except for the fact that they're not easily available at the libraries is all especially if some of us aren't going to want to spend some $$.

I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining, I'm not... I'm just being nosy :p

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

No that's fine Tien. It's good you brought it to our attention!

message 40: by Rob (new)

Rob | 344 comments Brenda wrote: "Rob wrote: "I would like to nominate The Secrets She Keeps The Secrets She Keeps by Michael Robotham by Michael Robotham"

Not contemporary I'm afraid Rob..."

I'm not often wrong but I'm wrong again:D

message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL!!

message 42: by Rob (new)

Rob | 344 comments Lets give this one more go.
I would like to nominate P is for Pearl P is for Pearl by Eliza Henry-Jones by Eliza Henry-Jones.

message 43: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 12289 comments Mod
That's it Rob! A good choice too:)

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good one Rob!

message 45: by Kim (new)

Kim | 181 comments I'd like to nominate The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart by Holly Ringland . I think it's in the Contemporary genre.

message 46: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It's already been nominated Kim if you'd like to nominate another 😊

message 47: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) I have added heaps of these to my TBR already (thanks all, I think) so I'm going to just wait for the voting to start!!

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL!

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Sexton | 20 comments Ace wrote: "I have added heaps of these to my TBR already (thanks all, I think) so I'm going to just wait for the voting to start!!"

Me too! Aren't there some terrific suggestions.

message 50: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Sandy wrote: "Ace wrote: "I have added heaps of these to my TBR already (thanks all, I think) so I'm going to just wait for the voting to start!!"

Me too! Aren't there some terrific suggestions."

Yes Sandy, I'm happy to know about both the older books and some of the newer releases being nominated!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.