You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Off Topic Chat > Sticky Noting and Highlighting Books

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber-Louise (new)

Amber-Louise Diskin (ambzillius) This could probably go in 'Chit Chat About Books' too but I think it's better suited here.
I was just wondering if any of you put sticky notes in books or highlight parts of books that you find important, interesting or relatable etc?

I'd also like to know that if you do it, what you tend to mark out/highlight?

Personally I find parts of books that affect me or make me feel happy (Game Of Thrones I'm Marking EVERY DEATH with colours relating to the houses and in other books that are maybe contemporary I mark out sad moments or things I find are important to the story E.G. An important character appears/a major plot twist)

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Jul 28, 2014 06:07AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I sometimes put sticky notes in books in order to mark passages and quotes that I like. I then write them down in a little notebook that I have. If I am reading a historical-fiction, I use the sticky notes to mark out things that I want to do some further research on if it is something that is new to me.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14593 comments I never do that. I do often come across things I want to research further (indeed, mostly in historical fiction), but with a smartphone and tablet within reach I usually look them up right away.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47164 comments Welcome Amber-Louise!

I generally don't mark up hardcover or paperback books, but I go to town with e-books.

message 5: by Amber-Louise (new)

Amber-Louise Diskin (ambzillius) It's nice to hear that others do it too, even if it's on e-books or just for historical fiction ^.^

I like to think that I'm marking something that's changed my life?

Thankyou for the welcome Janice ^.^

message 6: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments *smile*
I read a book once about book readers. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Anyway, the author poked fun at readers who treat their books as temples; remove the jackets to keep them pristine, hold with clean hands, read them in a half open position so as not to "break" the spine, always use bookmarks, make external notes.

She was of the opinion that books should be devoured; the covers doubled back on themselves, the spine achieving a wrinkled curve, dog-ear the pages to mark places to revisit, highlight the good bits, write comments in the margins, thumb the pages leaving behind Cheese Puff dust.

I found her cavalier opinion amusing but also appalling. I'm the temple worshiper type!☺

message 7: by Amber-Louise (new)

Amber-Louise Diskin (ambzillius) Almeta I definitely worship like a temple too in the fact that the outside is always pristine but the inside, I never highlight (apart from books for english class which I hated ) but I know that a lot of books with broken spines are obviously good books because of how much they've been used and you can see the wear and tear?

Though like figurines that people collect and sell on for thousands decades after, books are like collectables ^.^ I sticky note but my notes leave no marks ^.^

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I don't mark or highlight but tend to beat the hell out of paperbacks. Hard covers I am much more gentle with. Audio and ebooks were made for people like me. Fall asleep on a kindle and you don't wake up with a crumpled up book

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Almeta and Amber-Louise, you are similar to me. I like my books to remain in good condition. I can't stand broken spines, dog eared pages, tea/coffee stains, anything like that. I never write or highlight in books. I used to hate doing it in school and always wrote lightly in pencil so that it wasn't as noticeable. I don't use sticky notes often but when I do, they always come off easily and cause no damage :)

message 10: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I never, NEVER write in books (yes, I´m so OCD like that). Otherwise I'm not as strict with the exterior (cover etc.).

@Travis, by falling sleep with e-readers you must pay attention twice as with paper books, then they (the e-readers) are very fragile. I broke so my first reader (slightly, but nonetheless deadly)

message 11: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments My thick protective case protects my kindle quite well I've thrown it right across the room in my sleep many times

message 12: by Almeta (last edited Jul 28, 2014 10:22AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Amber-Louise wrote: "...I'd also like to know that if you do it, what you tend to mark out/highlight?..."

I do a lot of reading in a reclining position and I'm too lazy comfortable to get up and find a sticky note or additional bookmark.☻ Consequently, I hold pertinent pages with things that I have at hand...facial tissue, junk mail, coupons, library receipt. When I have to get up to take a break, my place is held by the earpiece stem of my glasses.

This is when I have to look up words, research a character or place or plot for authenticity, and make my continuing comments about the book in Goodreads. Then I can reclaim my glasses and go back to reading, to start the process all over again!☻

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments With non-fiction books, I tend to highlight things I find really interesting, I also star things that I think are important, I have used the small post-it notes to mark pages or sections for future reference purposes and I also star key paragraphs - some might be quotes or bits of research I think is interesting, others bits are things I want to look up and find out more about. I also sometimes write my opinion in the margin of that fact or technique or how it might link to my life/work etc. Because I do this a lot, it is what put me off getting an ereader for such a long time but I have one now. I tend to read fiction on my kindle and still buy the paperback for non-fiction though. I do highlight on my kindle on the fiction books too but it tends to be quotes that I like.

message 14: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Travis of NNY wrote: " Fall asleep on a kindle and you don't wake up with a crumpled up book ..."

When I nod off...eReader or paper book...they both end up tumbling to the floor when they plummet from my hands! On the other hand... my reading glasses are crushed under my body somewhere.

message 15: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Believe it or not I sleep with my glasses on probably 300 days a year without breaking or damaging them.

-quickly runs and knocks on wood

message 16: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 1994 comments Travis my husband has " sleeping glasses" which are the ones he uses to workout / put on when reading/ watching tv when the probability of falling asleep is high. I thought he was nuts ( he is) but I now have my own pair .:)

message 17: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I just got my current glasses a few months ago and they talked me into flex frames. Bending the nose pieces out of wack is about the only thing to worry about. The frames can just about be rolled up although I'm not gonna try it intentionally.

message 18: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Marnie wrote: "Travis my husband has " sleeping glasses" which are the ones he uses to workout / put on when reading/ watching tv when the probability of falling asleep is high. I thought he was nuts ( he is) but..."

Oh, oh. I have also "sleeping reading glasses", and they are very flexibles.
I keep a par almost in each room and at work, so I don't misplace them. *embarrassing face*

message 19: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I mark books with stem of reading glasses, too, Almeta. Works great. And Mariab, I also keep a pair in almost every room! Plus a pair in my purse and a pair in the car glove box, just in case needed on the go. Or I try to do this, but then inevitably wind up walking off and taking a pair of glasses away from its "station." Constant juggling act : )

message 20: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10009 comments Mariab wrote: "Oh, oh. I have also "sleeping reading glasses", and they are very flexibles.
I keep a par almost in each room and at work, so I don't misplace them. *embarrassing face* .."

Tejas Janet wrote: "I mark books with stem of reading glasses, too, Almeta. Works great. And Mariab, I also keep a pair in almost every room! Plus a pair in my purse and a pair in the car glove box, just in case needed on the go. Or I try to do this, but then inevitably wind up walking off and taking a pair of glasses away from its "station." Constant juggling act : ) ..."

ROLF! I also have reading glasses sprinkled all over the house. AND also am frustratingly guilty of taking them away from their appointed "station"! ;D

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Interesting problems with all of the reading glasses. The only thing I don't need my glasses for, is for reading so they stay right on my face from the moment I get up until I go to bed. At night they stay on the bathroom counter. When I am reading, they sit on the table or desk right next to me. No loosing my glasses!

message 22: by Ava Catherine (last edited Sep 02, 2014 09:39PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Almeta wrote: "*smile*
I read a book once about book readers. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Anyway, the author poked fun at readers who treat their books as temples; remove the jackets to keep them p..."

I fall in the temple worshiper camp, too. : )
I wish I could devour my books, but, alas, too many years of teachers poised with rulers in a library or classroom waiting for a smudge or mark.
I usually read with a small yellow legal pad for note taking (if it is a book that I think I might need to take notes on).

Oh, dear, T J and Cherie, eye glasses are a whole different problem. I have had glasses since I was six-years-old and am now helpless with out contacts or glasses. I have to keep two sets of glasses (bifocals) on my desk or nightstand, and I have several back up pairs. Isn't it a hassle keeping up with glasses and not being able to see without them?! Cherie, you are lucky that you do not need your glasses to read! I hope you don't need glasses for reading for a very long time.

message 23: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments One of the things I love most about reading on my iPad is highlighting passages, words, etc.
I also like being able to look up words immediately.

message 24: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I love that, too... being able to highlight passages, words, etc. on my former android tablet. You can type in keywords and notes, too. Wonderful stuff.

message 25: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments In new books, I won't make a single mark. Little sticky notes only. In used books, I might make a very light mark in pencil by a passage and then a list of page numbers, again in light pencil, on the blank afterward pages at book's end. That's if they are my books.

If library books, I take notes on paper and then type them up and save them on computer. I try now to write up something about every book, but I don't seem to have the patience to diligently share every passage that I notated for whatever reason.

But I still like to make notes because I think it helps me recall passages and thoughts later on in conversation or just in my own reflecting back. Helps my thought processes.

message 26: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Wow! YOU are all very thoughfull people! So much effort in collecting higlighs!

message 27: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 35 comments I really did not do any of these until a university assignment... Samuel Beckett, deterioration of the language as a paper theme, collecting quotes...

I really had to use the mini page flag post its... that was when I realized how useful they were, because I always have had read nice quotes from books that I could not find later when I wanted to jot them down :D.

I also find it to be a more visually attention-grabbing than taking notes and highlighting... let alone it is more visually appealing, at least for me.

message 28: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9170 comments I use sticky notes to take some notes when I plan to do a review of the book (more than a short comment, that is what I more often do).

message 29: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19580 comments Reading on my backlit tablet tires out my eyes. I doubt if I will be reading without glasses much longer, Connie.

I use sticky notes, pieces of mail, receipts, etc to hold my place and mark passages in dead tree books. I rarely write in my books, but if I know that I am going to keep it, and it is important, I may mark a passage I really like. I highlight and bookmark in my ereader to save things that I want to mention in reviews. I usually clear them before I archive.