Play Book Tag discussion

April 2018: Strong Women > A Room of One’s Own 4⭐️

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (last edited Apr 30, 2018 09:34AM) (new)

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf

4⭐️

Despite this being a short novel it was a little hard to read sometimes. The hard part was when I didn’t agree with some of the things that Virginia said.

The part that upset me the most was while she was writing as a fictitious “Mary”, Virginia was saying that women must not act like men.

“It would be a thousand pities if women wrote like men, or lived like men, or looked like men, for if two sexes are quite inadequate, considering the vastness and variety of the world, how should we manage with only one? Ought not education to bring out and fortify the differences rather than the similarities? For we have too much likeness as it it...”

At the end she redeemed herself by stating that women have made great progress but that they still need to do more.

“So long as you write what you wish to write, that is all that matters; and whether it matters for ages or only for hours, nobody can say.”

The other thing I noticed about Virginia Woolf is that she’s a people watcher. I saw that while reading A Room of Own’s Own and now with my current read of her’s, Mrs. Dalloway. She really goes on about the person’s character and sometimes one can even hear Woolf’s judgments while reading.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Thanks for this review. The only Woolf I have read is Orlando as it was an assigned text at university. I can’t remember what I thought of it!