Cask & Quill Book Club discussion

This topic is about 1984
1984 > 1984 - Part 3

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna (Cask & Quill) (caskandquill) | 25 comments Mod
All chapters are fair game here! Only read on if you've finished the book. :)

Tanya Miracle | 3 comments “To hang on from day to day and from week to week, spinning out a present that had no future, seemed an unconquerable instinct, just as one’s lungs will always draw the next breath so long as there is air available.”

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.”

These are my favorite quotes from the book! And the second one?? Yeesh! That’s harsh!

So I actually remembered the ending differently! I thought that in the end, he was physically shot in the head after saying he loves Big Brother, when actually it was metaphorical! So....I don’t know which is worse lol.

Part 2 was hard to get through for me, but even with that I give 1984:
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I just love it haha.

Thanks, Tanya!

Both of those quotes definitely jumped off the page for me, too! I love your questioning of which is worse. Which indeed? Yes, he's still alive, but very changed and downtrodden. Losing his humanity in some ways and his individuality.

I'll be honest. I did not love this book. I love Animal Farm and expected to have a similar experience with this one and did not. It took me forever to get through it and most of that felt like a chore. I don't know if it's because I wasn't really in a reading mood, but I just had such a hard time getting into it. It picked up with the introduction of Julia for me. And then, like Tanya said, Part 2 was rough. If I remember, that's where he's reading from the book. That was so dry for me I almost couldn't take it. Then I was pulled back in by their capture and the events after that until the end.

The concept was intriguing and I feel like I came away with some great things to think about. As I mentioned in the part 1 discussion, the central and most fascinating topic for me was questioning how we really know what happened in the past. There were a couple of moments during O'Brien's discussion of history that I was just hanging onto my sanity by a thread, haha. As Myriam mentioned earlier, it really does make you apply some of those thoughts to our own reality and wonder how easy it would be, not even for such a drastic operation as in the book to take place, but to alter facts or things we think we knew. Making a totalitarian government the only thing that people can trust is scary as hell, but you can definitely see with 1984's example how something similar might come about.

So, for me there really were a lot of redeeming things about this! I did end up giving it only 3 stars, because of how dull I thought a lot of it was. But a 3 star rating is still a pretty good book for me. Thanks to everyone who read along or posted their thoughts on this one!

Tanya Miracle | 3 comments Part 2 is sssssooo dry so I totally get it! Thanks for giving me a reason to re-read it! 😄

Haha, thanks for your understanding.