Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > May 2018: The Count of Monte Cristo

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Apr 29, 2018 09:19PM) (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas discussion starts here!

Discussion Questions

I am hiding the questions, for now!

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Margot (new)

Margot (margotmontreal) | 164 comments Is anyone reading it in French? Verbs are used in a tense I learned in school, but nobody use them anymore: "imparfait du subjonctif". It is however the language of "period" books, like "La Princesse de Clèves" or "Les Liaisons Dangereuses". It is unusual enough for me to stop, to consider it, but at the same time really fascinating.
The story is so good. I am hooked!

message 3: by Margot (new)

Margot (margotmontreal) | 164 comments I am more than halfway through. The novel starts with a few characters and sets up Dantes' incarceration for something he didn't do. 3-4 people are responsable for his arrest and condemnation because of their own selfish reasons.
Prison, escape, Monte-Cristo island, the treasure, that part was pretty straight forward.
But when the count of Monte Cristo makes his appearance, we get to meet new characters, or old ones with new names. Things get a little complicated!
Now in the last part of the novel, I am getting ready to learn just how Monte Cristo (Dantes) will execute the vengeance he has been ploting for so many years...

message 4: by Margot (new)

Margot (margotmontreal) | 164 comments I finished it today, a few days late!

The story was great. In fact, I feel like any reader can't wait to know about the vengeance Dantes will take upon each of his tormentors. I was even disapointed when he pardoned Danglars at the end (after taking all his money, which is the only think Danglars values in life) because in my view, Danglars was the first and most important responsable of everything that happened to Edmond.

Il listened to the audiobook in French and the narrator was excellent.

However, I feel like I should have read this book when I was younger and read a lot of Dumas and French classic authors. Now that I have lost the habit of that litterary style, I found it sometimes difficult to listen to (reading was not better). All those long talks about God and the soul, and human nature were quite artificial and I just wanted them to stop. That is the only reason for my 4 stars rating. Otherwise it would have been a 5 stars.

message 5: by Joy (new)

Joy | 110 comments I'm late to the party. I just finished it, and I'm speechless.