Discovering Russian Literature discussion

NEW MEMBERS, INTRODUCTIONS > Group Reading: How It Will Work!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 650 comments Mod
Hi all! Those who don't know me, I'm Amalie. I'm among one of the many readers who love Russian literature. I like their human side of the story. Their characters are so alive and vivid that anyone can easily relate to them, to their worries, their suffering and struggles, and most of all to their feelings and thoughts. At the same time there's a magnificent almost philosophic observation of humanity and drama. Even in poor translation the best classics in Russian Literature are remarkable.

But this whole project started to explore the lesser-known gems. Unless you dig really deep, you will never know about them.

message 2: by Amalie (new)

After a long period of absence this is just an idea to start group readings again. So please share your thoughts and opinions.

Here's what we used to do:

There will be a thread for nominations and voting.

You can nominate just ONE book:
E.g. I nominate The Living Corpse by Leo Tolstoy

VOTE:
If you see another book you like has been nominated by someone else, cast your vote for that.

Just type : I vote for "name of the book". This means, you are willing to take part in either of readings if one of them gets selected.

What we appreciate the most is participation.

message 3: by Amalie (new)

Guys, here's a link to the poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 4: by Khaled (new)

Khaled (sad_symphony) | 2 comments Am happy with this idea let’s get it back.

message 5: by dely (new)

dely | 340 comments First of all, welcome back!

I think I will wait to see which book will be voted and then I'll decide if I will take part in the group read seen that not all the books have an Italian translation available.

Btw, I'm glad if the group becomes again active.

message 6: by Amalie (new)

dely wrote: "First of all, welcome back!.."

Thanks. :) It's good to be back!

message 7: by Vanjr (new)

Vanjr | 20 comments I agree with the welcome back. But I suspect many in this group are still participating by continuing reading the Russian greats. I am about halfway through Doctor Zhivago for the first time...
Looking forward to seeing what we pick for this read.

message 8: by David (new)

David | 1 comments Oops, I posted my nomination in the wrong section. Excited to see this group active and looking forward to a group read as I live in a culturally desolate area!

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 13 comments Yay! I have been so swamped with work and school that I was only able to read at a slower pace and then just read the notes left by others...I am so excited to see the group coming back because now I can read along "live"...lol

message 10: by Kristal (new)

Kristal | 1 comments Did the new group read ever commence? It looks like The Master and Margarita won the most votes, but I cannot find a group read thread for it.

message 11: by Zuly (new)

Zuly Is there a moderator?