Play Book Tag discussion

April 2018: Strong Women > Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen - 5 stars and a whole load of hearts!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 733 comments Blurb: Welcome to Bascom,North Carolina, where it seems that everyone has a story to tell about the Waverley women. The house that's been in the family for generations, the walled garden that mysteriously blooms year round, the rumours of dangerous loves and tragic passions. Every Waverley woman is somehow touched by magic. Claire has always clung to the Waverleys' roots, tending the enchanted soil in the family garden from which she makes her sought-after delicacies - famed and feared for their curious effects. She has everything she thinks she needs - until one day she waked to find a stranger has moved in next door and a vine of ivy has crept into her garden . . . Claire's carefully tended life is about to run gloriously out of control.

Review: I absolutely LOVED this book! It's not often I have to immediately buy the next book in a series, but this is exactly what happened with this one!

The book is full of strong women and isn't one that I would normally choose - it's thanks to a challenge over on Litsy that I came across it. (I'm probably a latecomer to the party though!)

message 2: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Jenny wrote: "Blurb: Welcome to Bascom,North Carolina, where it seems that everyone has a story to tell about the Waverley women. The house that's been in the family for generations, the walled garden that myste..."

No later than me. I have many times at the library select a largish stack of books to work down to a short stack to take home. Numerous times I have put Addison's books back.
Maybe a good selection for Women's History Month.
Thanks for sharing

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments There are quite a few fans of SAA in the group. I definitely have enjoyed her books as they are like comfort food. You know that there is southern charm, a smidge of magic and usually some slight romance always centered around some strong woman :-D

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2298 comments This was my intro to SAA and magical realism. I didn't even know what magical realism was but I can tell you it wouldn't have been my go to genre just from the title. I loved this book as much as you did I think!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9334 comments Last year I read my first SSA, the sequel to this one. First frost, and I liked it. Better than garden spells which I read later.

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I need to read another of SSA. Magical realism done right. I normally can't stand it, but somehow SSA makes it so immersive and comfortable.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments JoLene’s description of SAA as comfort food is spot on. They are entertaining and make me smile. There are a few of her books that I haven’t read yet and I need to bump her up for when I have a lull in audio books.

message 8: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments There are certain people, including SAA where I am purposefully spacing out reading through their back catalogs! They help get me out of reading slumps.

message 9: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I think I am just down to two unread: The Peach Keeper and The Sugar Queen.

It seems like it should be about time for her to publish another book, but, someone correct me if I am misremembering, but it seems like I read something about her having an illness of some kind?

message 10: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3099 comments Nicole R wrote: "I think I am just down to two unread: The Peach Keeper and The Sugar Queen.

It seems like it should be about time for her to publish another book, but, someone correc..."

I think she might have been treated for breast cancer at about the time that Peach Keeper came out.

message 11: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yes, she had breast cancer. I think that the Lake book is the one that was published after she had been through treatment.

message 12: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 451 comments I've read several of her books starting with Garden Spells. Absolutely loved it. Most recently I started reading Lost Lake but found it didn't hold my interest like G. S. I think I'd lke to try it again though. I read it during my son's battle with cancer and rarely did anything hold my attention.

message 13: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Do give Lost Lake another try Diane. It is probably my second favorite after Garden Spells.

Maybe try the short story lead up to it first: Waking Kate. It is short and provides backstory on the main Lost Lake character.

message 14: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 451 comments Thanks for the recommendation, Nicole. I think I will try it again, starting with the short story first.