Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 22 : Why do you read?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (last edited Apr 29, 2018 02:13AM) (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Hey everyone, I'm Tanya, and I will be your co-moderator for the next hour!

We're in the last stretch of the readathon, and I hope that all of you know you're CHAMPS. Hat tips to the whole wonderful lot of you.

And now! On to the topic for this hour --

I'd like for all of you to tell me why you read. :)

What is one pivotal moment in your life as a reader when you knew - "this is it. I have found something I love doing, in the very depths of my soul"?

Was it a particular book? Was it connecting with other readers? Something else entirely?

For me, I very clearly remember this one summer afternoon - I must've been 14 or 15 - where I curled up with a book and couldn't move until I finished the whole thing in an entire sitting.

I come from a family of readers, and have loved books ever since I could read, but there was something special about this book and that moment that made me feel like nothing ever had before. I didn't know books could make someone feel that way, and I've chased that feeling with every book ever since.

What about you? What's your story? :)

message 2: by Lamilla (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I've been an avid reader since my childhood, so it's hard to pin down a particular book. Let's say Незнайка на Луне - at least I remember reading it ))

message 3: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments I come from a family of readers, too. Always loved reading and I remember how impatient I was to finally learn reading haha :D
I don’t really remember a significant moment like this, I read since I knew the alphabet... the only thing that comes close is when I read Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone for the first time, because before that I only read really small first grade books for beginners and HP was the first larger book (now it’s really small but for little Me 300 pages was enormous :O) and I don’t know? It felt really special and it was something big, I knew there we’re books after that...
Anyways, that was a lovely question <3

message 4: by tahlia_ted (new)

tahlia_ted I read pretty much all the time as a kid and then stopped starting high school. I started reading properly again in 2016 year 8 and now can't stop in year 10. I read to take a break and escape into the creative imaginative worlds authors create.

message 5: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Lamilla wrote: "I've been an avid reader since my childhood, so it's hard to pin down a particular book. Let's say Незнайка на Луне - at least I remember reading it ))"

I hear ya, I start panicking every time I'm asked to choose one book over all others, haha.

I had to look that one up, it sounds like such fun!

message 6: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "I come from a family of readers, too. Always loved reading and I remember how impatient I was to finally learn reading haha :D
I don’t really remember a significant moment like this, I read since I..."

I think you've pretty much described my relationship with Harry Potter there. 🙂

I remember them taking over my LIFE and what was better - the lives of almost everyone around me, too! It really did feel like we were part of something bigger there, huh?

message 7: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments tahlia_ted wrote: "I read pretty much all the time as a kid and then stopped starting high school. I started reading properly again in 2016 year 8 and now can't stop in year 10. I read to take a break and escape into..."

And what amazing worlds they are. :)

Thank you for sharing!

message 8: by Mel (new)

Mel | 25 comments Tanya wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "I come from a family of readers, too. Always loved reading and I remember how impatient I was to finally learn reading haha :D
I don’t really remember a significant moment like..."

Yes! And it just got more intense over the years, didn't it? I'm actually collecting the books and my goal is to someday have them in three or four different editions / languages haha xD
What house are you in? Question goes to everybody. I'm a proud Hufflepuff <3

message 9: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (totallyshelfaware) | 10 comments Abookfangirl wrote: "Tanya wrote: "Abookfangirl wrote: "I come from a family of readers, too. Always loved reading and I remember how impatient I was to finally learn reading haha :D
I don’t really remember a significa..."

Oh absolutely! The waiting, the anticipating, the growing alongside the characters, the whole deal. :)

I'm Ravenclaw!

message 10: by Lamilla (last edited Apr 29, 2018 02:44AM) (new)

Lamilla | 317 comments I'm also Ravenclaw

@Tanya it's the third book in the series, so better start with the earlier ones, I guess ))

message 11: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I have no idea. I've been a bookworm since I was young. Babysitter's Club, Bailey School Kids, Judy Blume, reading Outlander at age 12, this has always been IT for me!

P. S. Also a Ravenclaw ;)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.